Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rippetoes latest video

Rippetoes latest video

I put this here in "Off Topic", cause you guys probably view it as a beating dead horse.
    But I'm new here . . . do ALL the olympic WL coaches throughout the whole USA really think strength is a secondary thing like Rip says?

1. No
    2. 41 minutes? Ain't no one got time for that

Banned

I think this was a thing in like 2011. Now everybody wanna copy Polovnikov and Klokov and Chinese and shizz. Except Don McCauley. Rip's still silly. Rip doesn't even like stretching and says it's useless. Ilya can bench over 300 and do splits. So you need to be able to do both.

Anyway, I think a thing with American lifters is not so much lack of pulling and squat strength but upper body strength. Speaking of Sa Jae Hyouk, he had I think (around?) a 120kg military press and a 180kg push press as a 77. That's monstrous. But I just did snatches with 40kg and shitpost on WLforums. So I don't know anything.

OK, for real, what's the problem with American weightlifting? I'ma sound like Kirksman here, but we spend more time arguing than we do actually thinking of things and trying them out and seeing if they work. As we could see in the "Do weightlifters do box squats" thread, yes, even some weightlifters do box squats. Do the majority of weightlifters do box squats? No? Does this mean all weightlifters should never ever do box squats because it's not an "approved exercise"? No. So instead of thinking "hmm, this lifter might benefit from box squats for ____ reason" and trying it out for a few weeks or whatever, they say it's useless. There's endless amounts of appeal to authority and unoriginality in thought process. So there's Rip on this end, saying "technique is useless, just deadlift and press more" and then there's other guys saying "no no, don't bench and deadlift, you'll get too slow" Instead of people just actually trying stuff and seeing what works. And of course, if someone does try something and says "hmm, X thing works pretty well" people will again, argue about it endlessly and compete for supremacy of who has the "best" method like there is some singular training method that will work for everyone with all goals at all times.

tl;dr, the problem of American weightlifting is everyone is an egotistical fuck and makes stupid videos on youtube and writes stupid articles. Speaking of ego, everyone names their gym and websites after themselves, too.

At least I'm more concise when drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I put it on yesterday while I was having dinner; couldn't pay attention the whole way through though. Read enough stuff from Rip over the years that I've got a reasonably good idea what he's going to say (or at least the over-arching theme) and if he doesn't give a shit anymore (which he stated a few times during the video) then why should I?

Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    . . .

At least I'm more concise when drinking.
    What, you don't enjoy some good old mental masturbation?

Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    OK, for real, what's the problem with American weightlifting? I'ma sound like Kirksman here, but we spend more time arguing than we do actually thinking of things and trying them out and seeing if they work. As we could see in the "Do weightlifters do box squats" thread, yes, even some weightlifters do box squats. Do the majority of weightlifters do box squats? No? Does this mean all weightlifters should never ever do box squats because it's not an "approved exercise"? No. So instead of thinking "hmm, this lifter might benefit from box squats for ____ reason" and trying it out for a few weeks or whatever, they say it's useless. There's endless amounts of appeal to authority and unoriginality in thought process. So there's Rip on this end, saying "technique is useless, just deadlift and press more" and then there's other guys saying "no no, don't bench and deadlift, you'll get too slow" Instead of people just actually trying stuff and seeing what works. And of course, if someone does try something and says "hmm, X thing works pretty well" people will again, argue about it endlessly and compete for supremacy of who has the "best" method like there is some singular training method that will work for everyone with all goals at all times.
    Quoted for truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post

What, you don't enjoy some good old mental masturbation?
    I spend too much time typing things at my jerk station as it is.

Rip seems to not care for decades already.

Yes, that's an oxymoron.

Btw.. the most common thread in this wl community is about.. you've guessed it.. squats.
    Last edited by matej.polak; 01-07-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    1. No
    mehh, I've have back n forth w/ him lately. Funny there was a thread on SS right before this video was shot and published.
    In the video he says he doesn't care, but 60% of the video is about this topic.
    I'd rather here more about the female lifter they have their, she looks bored.

My opinion on USAWL was/is something like:
    50% - not getting the right athletes, at a young enough age; other sports $$$ getting in way
    15% - no national system; our coaches kinda;
    35 % - drugs

or some combo of those three things.

Rip thinks if we. . .
    1- if we can just get our squat and dead numbers up, and get really strong at all costs (more deads, LBBS, more pressing, strength work,etc)
    2- 'fix' the pulling style, straight line pull (he actually said lifting "mechanics", but this is what he means I'm sure)
    . . . we could somehow bridge the gap.

MY point is getting just a little bit stronger (that's all these guy are going to be able to do, maybe get 10% after being already involved with WL'ing from 5-7 years) . . . there's little upside there at that point in the game. Trees don't grow to the sky. (with drugs maybe).
    Your not going to be able to close the gap this way . . .very much, unless my 50/15/35 changes.
    So stop ragging on the US WL'ing coaches.

Oh and funny, in the video, he doesn't mention one thing about drugs . . .or really how the successful countries have a almost militarized national system set up.

The plot of the interview is that Mary Peck is successful because of different approach to her training - applying starting strength philosophy.

Ignoring that genetically gifted lifter will do well under ANY, specific enough, method - even despite the method might be bad for majority of people.