Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolest/most unexpected feat of strength you've ever seen in person

Post Thanks / Like

Coolest/most unexpected feat of strength you've ever seen in person

I haven't had the luxury of attending any strongman meets or high-level weightlifting meets.

The most mind-boggling thing I've ever seen in person was at a commercial gym several years ago when I met what appeared to be a regular gym-goer, who approached me when he saw I was doing Olympic lifts, and we chatted. Turns out he was a former college football player recruited by the CFL (but turned them down). He hadn't trained seriously for a while, and was considering doing bodybuilding, but always had a soft spot for the Olympic lifts.

He was about 6'5 and 230lbs, looked lanky and not thick at all, with super long arms and legs.

Anyhow, we worked together a few times, and he even came to my coach's gym once, where he did some light training, but was too tall to do any overhead lifting (my hobbit-like self has never had that problem).

What I saw him do at the gym (all weights in lbs):

Squat: 515lbs for a set of 10, full depth, high-bar
    Trap-Bar Deadlift: 705 for a single.
    Hang Power-snatches: 185 for a set of 10
    Incline shoulder press: 315 for a set of 10

He was just so massively strong that he didn't really appear to be generating much effort. The only thing that was challenging was the 705 deadlift, but he was obviously good for more. We just couldn't get more plates on the thing.

It wasn't so much the numbers he lifted that were impressive; it was the lack of perceived effort and amount of volume that never seemed to faze him.

He said he used to powerclean 175kg for sets of 3 in college.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The strongest person I know in real life is a janitor at my gym, Hispanic guy in his late 20s. Was in prison for 3-4 years, lifted in prison and just got out a few months ago at that time. Saw him standing military press 235x2 or 3 like it was nothing, at about 200lbs very lean. Then his workout consisted of doing a bunch of standing DB Arnold press sets until failure, and a finisher consisting of cutting reps starting at 15 of side lateral and front raises with a 10lb plate starting until he got to 5 reps, one arm at a time, so a 110 rep finisher. Guy could also bench about 350 in that condition, which I saw. Squat and deadlift 405 for sets of 8-10 like it was nothing, just short workouts during breaks from work. Seen him pull over 500 for reps as well. Could cheat curl with only a little back bend, about 225 for a set of 5-8? Could touch a basketball rim at 6 feet tall, do a bunch of pullups, etc. Just all round the strongest guy I've ever met.

As far as roids go, he gave me one challenge about himself. He said "Yeah, look at me when I stop working out, I'll gain a little fat, but I'll still look the same, I won't deflate into nothing." And he actually did that, stopped lifting seriously, did gain a tiny bit of fat, but still looked the same. Who knows. He also told me as far as starting lifts he started benching 170 his first time lifting, and deadlifted 300 first time as well, but was fatter. He said when he was fatter he was benching 405 for a max, too, but 350ish was his max in lean condition, I think now he told me that he got weights at home and started working out there and doesn't care about being shredded he's benching in the 380s iirc.

But yeah, strongest person I know in real life is a janitor who does 100 rep lateral raises and taught me everything on the internet is a lie, CNS strength doesn't exist, and I need to just get swole.

Post Thanks / Like
    When shane maier used to train at my gym got to watch him easily crush back squat triples at 270kg a few times. Said he never felt like he needed to squat more weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way too many to pick a single one, although I've seen a few 220/242 lb. powerlifters totaling over 1800 raw. Hopefully I get the chance to go to the Arnold this year to watch the strongman comp. Big Z, Shaw, Thor, and Hall will probably be in a four way tie for most impressive in one way or another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzie View Post
    I haven't had the luxury of attending any strongman meets or high-level weightlifting meets.
    At Canadian weightlifting nationals I've seen our top super clean and jerk 220kg+ a few times; I was actually loading for what I think was the first time he totaled 400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    CNS strength doesn't exist, and I need to just get swole.
    \

Huh? Whazzatmean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back when I was powerlifting in high school, a new kid walked into the gym interested in working out. The owner started with him deadlifts and the kid was so strong it turned into a max out session. He ended up pulling 600+ right out if the box never lifting a weight in his life before.

It was only a few months of training before he was doing mid 7s in competition. Never seem anything like it before or since.

Post Thanks / Like
    2010 Semi finals of the D1 NCAA Wrestling tournament. the now legendary Kyle Dake somehow levitated from his back to his feet with a grown Reece Humphrey on top of him to prevent a loss and ultimately became a 4 time champ. Still trying to find the video. It was freakish.

Post Thanks / Like
    The very first time I ever competed in powerlifting, back in 2012, I had the privilege of seeing not one, not two, but three men atttempt a 600 raw bench. Which was totally unexpected; I live in a really un-competitive state for for PL. But I think 3 600 attempts is rare anywhere.