Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolest/most unexpected feat of strength you've ever seen in person

Post Thanks / Like
    Never been around really badass weightlifters unfortunately... but i've been around powerlifting, and i've seen some shit....

By far, THE most disgusting feat ov 'human' power i have ever seen in person, up close with my own eyes was Ryan Kennelly... the strongest shirted bencher on the planet... warming up in the warm-up room. His last raw bench warm-up was 585x2. The guy unracked 6 wheels a side by himself and bounced that shit off his chest like it was bloody nothing. The speed... holy fuck. One second from gut to lock... at most. Both reps. It was basically:

(handler) - "Hey man, you wanna lift-off?"

(Kennelly) - "Nah." Nonchalant. Unracks almost 600lbs himself... (then literally) BAM! BAM! Slam! Racks it effortlessly and snaps up. "Fuckit, put the shirt on."

And that was long before he benched his shirted WR 1175. In fact, he actually bombed that meet with 'only' 940lbs. To be fair though, he was doing a lot more raw benching back then.

Will NEVER forget that. To this day, i could not deadlift 585x2 that fast....

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw this guy do three squat sessions in one day and then casually jump up a flight of stairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niel Patel View Post
    Saw this guy do three squat sessions in one day and then casually jump up a flight of stairs.
    he's an animal, has he ever competed in WL or PL?

Post Thanks / Like
    i lift at a globoish gym that has bumpers and platforms. There's a guy here who used to play for University of Kentucky and then moved on to the Packers before getting cut. Squats 650+ for reps atg high bar, pulls 700+, power cleans 350+ for reps, but can't power snatch 225. He's an animal.
    ~Surgite atque resurgite dum agni leones fient~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    he's an animal, has he ever competed in WL or PL?
    I don't think he does WL. Last year he did a super bloated USAPL meet, about 100 people in his class, and bombed out in the squat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings. Nice to find a new thriving forum...

Had a conversation on a similar topic this past weekend. For me, it was probably seeing Eric Spotto in my 24 Hour Fitness doing close grip benching with 405 and repping it like I might with an empty bar. The other would be seeing Stan (the Rhino) Efferding pushing his shopping cart at our local Costco a couple of weeks ago. No...the cart wasn't that heavy, but he's freakishly huge when seen amongst the unwashed masses!

Another would be back in 1979 when I was working out at a gym in So Cal run by the late great Rod Koontz. 1977 Mr USA. I saw my high school buddy "Big Steve" there and he asked me to spot him on DB bench...he picked up the 150s and repped them for an easy six. I don't know why he asked for a spot except to maybe show off a little. Unusual to see that kind of strength in a 17 year old kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw one of my patients rip a phone book in half, length wise, in about three seconds.

I also saw him pick up a 100lb plate with each hand, walk across the gym with them, and while he held one plate in each hand, slid one on a bar to bench, then with both hands on the other plate, walked around the bench and loaded the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not as impressive as the rest of the other posts on this thread, but as a freshman in my high-school weightlifting class, we had to max out for our "final". So anyways there was this really skiny and tall black kid who was strong as fuck. One day he walks in late, and stoned. I'm just hanging out with my friends talking not really doing anything because it's the end of the school year. He walks up right to where we are and there's this barbell with 185 on it. He literally doesn't even check to see if there's more weight on one side then the other, he just calls the teacher and does an easy clean with perfect form. After he's done he asked us "How much was that?". I know a 185lb clean isn't anything, but to be as skinny and tall as he was and stoned, with no real lifting experience to me was pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray Williams raw 1005 lb. squat.

Probably not "unexpected" per the title of this thread given his track record...but pretty cool nonetheless.

And no doubt hitting depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I saw this this past weekend. Pretty impressive, and definitely hit depth!!