Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warming Up

Post Thanks / Like
    so day 67 of squatting every day. my warmup has shortened considerably. i start with 10 toe touches, stiff leg, then 2 or so mins with barbell over knees to stretch my ankles, then a few empty bar RDL's right into bent rows, then a few presses to the bar on my back, roll my traps a bit, 10-15 goodmornings, maybe a few more presses and then i put 95# on the bar 5-10 goodmornings, then 5-10 very long (6-7 sec) pause squats. then to 135# 3-5 gm's 3-5 squats and then i continue to the workout.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a product called Assess & Correct by Eric Cressey a few years ago. I like it very much, takes about 15 minutes. He works with a lot of professional athletes and knows his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spend around 20 minutes warming up too, and I don't think that is too long at all (I guess it's just a matter of perspective).

I do think that warmups need to be specific to the workout, and the individual. I'd suggest trying to figure out the quickest ways to get yourself mobile, and then keep trying to improve it. I've used a lot of ideas from mobilitywod and smashwerx and found both very beneficial.

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually warm up for 15-20 minutes.

3-5 minutes Bike or Row
    5 minutes dynamic streching
    2-3 Rounds:
    5x Snatchgrip Press btn
    5x OHS
    5x Snatch Balance
    3x High Hang Snatch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigburt View Post
    bike x1-2 min. stretch hip flexors. activate/stretch hips. i hate warming up, so i try to do squat, overhead squats, and back extensions, as both warm-up and a little work volume. i'm not a fan of elaborate warm-ups that take forever
    Well i'm not a fan ov bigburt's serious side. Tell me more about Yolanda and her big brown push-cart...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1llusion View Post
    I spend around 20 minutes warming up too, and I don't think that is too long at all (I guess it's just a matter of perspective).

I do think that warmups need to be specific to the workout, and the individual. I'd suggest trying to figure out the quickest ways to get yourself mobile, and then keep trying to improve it. I've used a lot of ideas from mobilitywod and smashwerx and found both very beneficial.
    Maybe 20 minutes is about average. It seems like a lot of people are around that mark. However, most of my time is usually spent on static stretching. I have a little routine I go through where I get my hams, quads, calves, hips, etc. I think I need to do my dynamic stuff. I usually end my warm ups with box jumps and bar work, but I feel like I need to make that more of the focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some days I do absolutely no non-specific warmup. Some days I will do more bodyweight stuff and maybe even some static stretches. Other days I walk in and start with the bar then increase weight with abandon. There is a happy medium but if I am doing some easy snatches and then lots of squats in an offseason, the first exercise is the warmup and squats are simple. I think a good amount of people over-warmup/mobilise/stretch before and after training.

Post Thanks / Like
    The laundry room in my apartment building has those stupid front-loading dryers.
    I like to fold my laundry as I'm taking it out of the dryer so that it's pre-folded, gets no wrinkles, and so I get to enjoy the cozy warmth of fresh laundry against my skin.
    My method for unloading the dryer is to plunk my laundry basket(s) right in front of the open dryer door, squat down, and fold the articles of clothing one-by-one as I pull them out of the dryer and lay them in the basket(s).
    For a large load requiring two baskets, this can take up to 10-15 minutes. That's 10-15 minutes in the full squat, moving around, shifting, holding stuff over my head, etc. I try to have my squat positions as good as possible, of course.

Anyway I did that this morning and I felt like I was ready to go. So that's my key, I'll do laundry every day before I go lift. Might use a lot of detergent but there are too may upsides to ignore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Warm socks are awesome. Lifting with cold feet is miserable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Well i'm not a fan ov bigburt's serious side. Tell me more about Yolanda and her big brown push-cart...
    if I somehow summon the the willpower to place so much as my big toe in a gym, i'm using all that effort to lift, not to stretch. I believe it was Roosevelt whom first bespoke the words, "stretching is for bitches."