Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Core strength demands

Post Thanks / Like

Core strength demands

Does anyone have any data regarding the amount of 'core activation' or the demands on core strength and the differences in these between certain lifts, specifically:
    Front squat vs parallel front squat
    Power clean vs full clean
    Split jerk vs power jerk

Basically I am trying to pinpoint certain weaknesses in movements, technique and flexibility aside.

Inspired by the powers vs full thread.
    Last edited by CNL; 03-12-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean by core? Do you mean the abdominal muscles exclusively? Or do you also mean the low back and glutes, which are just as important for stabilization.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of it

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you asking which ov your two choices require more core strength? If so, full clean over power, power jerk over split, and i dont understand what a 'parallel' front squat is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a research project in need of further definition and clarification. I hate the word "core," as it has entered the fitness world because it means different things to different people. But lets say we have a way to measure the activation of torso activation (which would be a major piece of work in of itself). Clearly you are going to find differences among exercises. Most likely, however, the closer the exercises are to each other in terms of mechanics and stress, the more similar will be the activation. My question would be, how would that help you "pinpoint certain weaknesses?"

As a coach, I have many ways of determining weaknesses. I'm not sure knowing the differences in torso activation in an exercise is going to help me that much in determining a weakness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is a T-nation article, but it does have EMG activity for various core musculature for the parallel squat and front squat, among others.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/in...t-ab-exercises

Post Thanks / Like
    Completely anecdotal, but I "feel" my core working more on heavier power cleans to stop/brake the weight more so than a full clean. And I definitely feel it more on the power jerk stabilizing the bar overhead when you don't have the front to back room for error in a split jerk.
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by n___p View Post
    Completely anecdotal, but I "feel" my core working more on heavier power cleans to stop/brake the weight more so than a full clean. And I definitely feel it more on the power jerk stabilizing the bar overhead when you don't have the front to back room for error in a split jerk.
    Not specifically targeting YOU... but i've heard this before, and it was true. However, when watching the full cleans in question, they were very 'soft', and mushy... i suppose is a good descriptor. When i think ov a clean, i think ov a solid, hard command ov the bar from rack to fully standing. To do this i think you need a stronger core than power cleans. To be fair, most cleans i see around here are soft, so i could see why many might argue this.