Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Masters Programming

Post Thanks / Like
    Any chance you know of anyone making the trip to Elmira (Jim's Gym)? I'm hoping to make some connections in the WL community of WNY.
    I know and/or lift with most of the Rochester area lifters and all the ones that I lift with are going to Spring Cleaning. Nothing against Jim or his first class meets, just one hour drive vs two hour drive. Folks from Buffalo Barbell Club might be going but they're mostly masters and are going to Masters Nationals this weekend. Look for Mark Solomon (Buffalo Barbell owner and Niagara District Chairman (President?), 105+, old like me, pony tail), Aaron Anderson - I think a 77, Laura Dealy 69/75, Erin I-can't-remember-her-last-name, I think a 69 and just barely a master. James Kane (69 or 77) from Rochester might be choosing Elmira over Buffalo.

When you're there, make sure to introduce yourself to Jim Storch - very well known nationally, very good masters lifter and all-around great guy.

You are welcome to come lift with me/us. Depending where you are in Batavia I'm 30 minutes or less away. Mondays have gotten very crowded but my "gym" is usually "open" Wed and Friday evening. I won't bore the forum with further details, if interested email me at twb@rochester.rr.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    True. And nothing kills stress faster than training.
    Its funny... i have never had much time for stress... really, at any point in my life. But i've been in some dark places, and when i found lifting, it opened up a whole new world. I didn't have stress then, but it made EVERYTHING better... and by a long mile. Fast forward 11 years and i think i'd have to honestly say lifting is now the only thing in my life that BRINGS me stress. It is very expensive (which i did NOT see coming) and the injuries... it just ruins the rest. I really just need to walk away from it for a year, and have nothing to do with a barbell. Sadly, thats just never going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb_rochny View Post
    Lots of good stuff here but I didn't feel like reading it all. I'm 34 and here's whats been working for me to keep me healthy and getting stronger.
    3x/week lifts, 1x week GPP (box jumps, press, stretching, recovery, sauna, barbell technique lifts, etc)
    Phase 1: 4-6 weeks Base strength. Sn/CL variations @ 70% 3x3, pulls, Squats 3 sets of 5, and other (jerks, power jerks etc)
    Phase 2: 4-6 weeks Transitional: increase Sn/Cl variations add floor lifts, decrease other volume add intensity
    Phase 3: 4-6 weeks Pre-Comp: lifts from floor, 75-90% singles and doubles, singles and doubles pulls and squats.
    Phase 4: Meet week, lifts at 70% singles.
    Thanks Scott, looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really just need to walk away from it for a year, and have nothing to do with a barbell. Sadly, thats just never going to happen.
    Yeah, I'd probably go nuts. And ache. My body seems to ache after a few days of no barbell or squats and doing BW lunges and squats etc doesn't seem to alleviate the ache.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Yeah, I'd probably go nuts. And ache. My body seems to ache after a few days of no barbell or squats and doing BW lunges and squats etc doesn't seem to alleviate the ache.
    You know... i could probably do it. Obviously i'd find something else to do, physically, and i have a lot to do i've been neglecting (non-fitness stuff), but the problem is, ALL my money comes from the gym, and if i'm not there... no money. If i could just be in the gym 4 hours a day and coach others, fine... but thats just never going to happen...

Post Thanks / Like
    Was doing 4 days/week but now will be switching to 5 which will allow me to spread things out from M-Sa instead of Tu-Sa.

Before was:
    Mon:1hr of gymnastics class+15-30minutes before at CFgym that's nearby to do WU and some basics
    Tu: (High Hang Sn, High Hang Clean) working down from 5 reps to 1, Rack Jerks to a single, often Pause Jerk then backoff with doubles or triples for 3-5 sets@80-85%. Sn pulls till a SnDL, backoff and do 3x3 Sn pulls from floor at just below maxSn to 10kg above. Lately have then added doing more pulls off blocks at knee for 3 sets (5-4-3) at lighter weights. FS to a single sometimes paused, 3rm with or without a pause, or HS+few sets of backoff. Barbell jumps 4x5 with 20% of Jerk
    Wed: 2/3 pos Sn with pauses to a top set to 80-85%. 2/3pos Cn to the same, possibly with a PJ. Sometimes participate in the 90m CF WL class and do whatever they do to about 80-85% of max. KangSquats for a top set of 5 anywhere from 70-100kg or BackExt on GHD with a plate
    Fri: Heavy singles from floor in Sn&CJ. If time and energy, CleanPulls till a Clean DL, same protocol as Sn pulls (3x3 from floor at or above max clean, or 1 from floor, 2 from hang). BS in similar fashion as Tues but possibly up to 5rm
    Sa: Muscle or PSN to a HS. PC+PP to HS, then PP for 5 sets of 3-4reps at 80-85% of HS. Jerk Dips. Alt Sn/Cn RDL in straps ascending top set of 10 or no straps with 6. If time, DB presses or MuSn paired with DB rows or BB rows/pulldowns and maybe some ab work.

Sometimes pulls and squats would get pushed to the next day if time was short. This kinda sucked. If only time for 1, I'd do pulls, then squats the next day unless time was short in which I'd squat instead because that takes me less time than volume with pulls (quick HS or 2/3r).

Now I'm gonna go back to what I did last year for 5days. Last week was sort of an introductory week (skipped Sat) since I took the week off before in which I lifted only Wed and Fri CF WL class for 90min.

M: Sn Balance to HS. High hang snatch singles only till fail. Actually pulling the weight off floor off blocks to save more energy. Block Sn from knee ascending for 2-3reps till fail. SnPP to HS, then backoff for 3-4r@80-85%.
    Tu: Cleans in the same fashion as Mon. Rack Pause SplitJerks and backoff PJ for 2-3repsx3-4 sets. SnPulls as prior cycle. FS to HS and possibly some backoff. Might even warmup with a HS BS. Jumps. Might warmup with MuscleSnatch to a single or 5-4-3-2-1.
    Wed: Attend the CF WL class and go no more than 80-85%. They tend to do complexes and if they are doing sets across, I'll probably stop after a top set and quite often finish my sets before they do. Maybe do some KangSquats, jumps and gymnastics play. May do what I was doing before if I don't like the complex they are doing.
    Fri: Same as prior cycle
    Sat: Pretty much same as prior cycle.

If I had time (which I tend to be pushed for time since gym starts closing at 1130am) I'd work in jerk recoveries. Sometimes I'll drop in at local globo gym and split the work but I try to avoid that drop-in fee and that fuckery that goes in there besides the one bar that isn't bent doesn't spin for a damn.

Backoff when necessary every 3-4 weeks. I didn't intend to split Sn and Cn on Mon/Tues but if I do descending sets of reps, I am dead after a top set and backoff isn't gonna happen. Probably will compete in about 5 weeks with a 1 week taper, no weight cut besides lowering calories when volume is cut. After that meet, possibly more of a strength cycle and cut volume and intensity of classic lifts doing strength first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh, I may go back to snatches and cleans on the same day and jerks and strength the next as I did last year. Cleans just died today barely much beyond what I snatched yesterday.

OTOH, I forgot to put sugar into the homemade gatorade mix so that probably didn't help after I discovered that (but was remedied on the 2nd bottle and Jerks and pulls went fine).