Likes Likes:  220
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 217 of 223 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 2224

Thread: The Sanctions Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Maybe the maxim should be that you should only choose 2 of the following lest you're exposing the sport to ruin:-

* Lifting on the gas.
    * Competing internationally to win.
    * Lifting for the gram.
    I think erpel nailed it. They dont care. Its insane to think that an intl' elite coach and the best lifter on the planet (in that class) are not actual fans ov their own sport, but it makes easy sense. Sad, but probably true.

I will say this though regarding how much actual fine detail WL knowledge is out there from those in charge. I was at a recent IWF anti-doping presentation that Dr Patrick Schamasch (IWF Anti Doping Chairman) led. He does not know what he needs to know about the sport.

In response to a question about doping control officers requesting a urine sample before competition during a potential water cut, he was totally unaware of the methods that weightlifters use in order to make weight. I was not the only surprised person in the room that he was ignorant about this. He might be an outlier, but I'm not sure how much the anti-doping personnel know about day to day things going on in WL. As an extension of that, knowing about countries hitting WR's in training.

So I'm kind of making an argument against myself, but it feels like some countries are just brazenly thumbing their noses to WADA/IWF doping control and it keeps me awake at night.
    Well, i'll say this, i've asked them (the WADA officials), i've asked meet directors about them, and i've literally eavesdropped on two separate conversations these WADA officials had, while they tried to choose who they were going to test that meet. Far as i know, these are the exact same people that test for the CWA (in Canada at least). I could not fucking believe what i was hearing. They had literally no fucking clue what to look for. There were OBVIOUS, like glaringly, ridiculously obvious cheaters, cheating right then and there, and they were using some formula one time, and going by totals and bacne the other time. I HEARD them saying this to each other, and asking the meet director, who was also utterly ignorant about drug use. Needless to say, no one failed a test these meets, or the last few i've been to either (where i saw OBVIOUS use... IN meet in some cases).

I would THINK... that if they did actually care about busting users, they might actually TRY and learn something about them. Either that or enlist someone who does. NOT hard...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    I remember reading a story where Reza tested positive and the national team coach cut a deal that had most of the rest of the team suspended in exchange for letting Reza off the hook. Can't remember where I read it or if there was any legitimacy to it, but it's a fun conspiracy theory, nonetheless.
    Back when that happened, that was pretty commonly accepted as what happened. Sure, thats not proof, but i heard that everywhere, and it makes complete sense. Reza, triple world record holder (while making it look easy), the ONLY clean Iranian at the time? Sounds legit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Well, i'll say this, i've asked them (the WADA officials), i've asked meet directors about them, and i've literally eavesdropped on two separate conversations these WADA officials had, while they tried to choose who they were going to test that meet. Far as i know, these are the exact same people that test for the CWA (in Canada at least). I could not fucking believe what i was hearing. They had literally no fucking clue what to look for. There were OBVIOUS, like glaringly, ridiculously obvious cheaters, cheating right then and there, and they were using some formula one time, and going by totals and bacne the other time. I HEARD them saying this to each other, and asking the meet director, who was also utterly ignorant about drug use. Needless to say, no one failed a test these meets, or the last few i've been to either (where i saw OBVIOUS use... IN meet in some cases).

I would THINK... that if they did actually care about busting users, they might actually TRY and learn something about them. Either that or enlist someone who does. NOT hard...

Sadly I have had similar experiences. I understand that doping control officers have A LOT of sports to cover but barbell sports are obviously fertile ground for AAS use and considering the money spent to police anti-doping you would think that more time would go into intelligence.

As far as Dr Schamasch goes, he only recently came over to the IWF full time but he's on a steep learning curve if he has to face hardened WL coaches and admin around the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did Colin's alleged crime happen at the Rio Test event in 2016?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyton1921 View Post
    Did Colin's alleged crime happen at the Rio Test event in 2016?
    That is what the rumor is, as well as potentially why there are no criminal charges.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like it was such a long time ago. I think that Rio test event was in April of 2016, over two years ago!

Does anyone know how long of a suspension he is facing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like it was such a long time ago. I think that Rio test event was in April of 2016, over two years ago!

Does anyone know how long of a suspension he is facing?
    Again this is just rumors, but I've heard 12 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow! that's deep and he would not be allowed to coach as well either right? Or can suspended lifters be allowed to coach?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Sadly I have had similar experiences. I understand that doping control officers have A LOT of sports to cover but barbell sports are obviously fertile ground for AAS use and considering the money spent to police anti-doping you would think that more time would go into intelligence.

As far as Dr Schamasch goes, he only recently came over to the IWF full time but he's on a steep learning curve if he has to face hardened WL coaches and admin around the world.
    Far as i've seen, a basic understanding ov what to look for in strength sports will cover most others as well. In almost anything for girls gymnastics to golf, basic commonalities still apply. What also applies is the basic understanding ov when to test them too, which as far as i've seen is almost never done, except in extreme witchhunt scenarios.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow! that's deep and he would not be allowed to coach as well either right? Or can suspended lifters be allowed to coach?
    I'm not sure. I know with USADA sanctions, you cannot coach. Not sure about safesport. I know he cannot attend any events, even as a spectator.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!