Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 150 of 155 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1547

Thread: The Sanctions Thread

  1. #1491
    Member thatmoutain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    No one should be surprised, he's like the Euro trash Jon North.
    100% and with similar numbers at jon's peak. makes you wonder if jon was always natural. But also 148/185 at the olympics, 151/188 2015 WC, while on drugs? man.

  2. #1492
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    There are lifters doping to lift in the B group at nationals. A good lifter can become great with drugs. A mediocre one isn't going to become a world champion with them.



    I laughed at this. I hate that he wears that stupid hat on the platform. I'm surprised the rules allow it.
    Stupid hat? Do you understand why the rules allow it?

  3. #1493
    Member Blairbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't Sonny Webster has ever talked as much shit as Jon has at times. That being said, I still like Jon, I'm just not sure I would want to be on the platform next to him while he was doing his thing.

    But I'd watch him lift definitely.

  4. #1494
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmoutain View Post
    100% and with similar numbers at jon's peak. makes you wonder if jon was always natural. But also 148/185 at the olympics, 151/188 2015 WC, while on drugs? man.
    For all the problems with USA/Anglo weightlifting, in some ways we're actually remarkable. In that someone in Russia, Eastern Europe, or Asia training hard there might start the sport as a child, and train a decade to hit 80% of the world record. But they may have started at single digit ages in weightlifting specific training. What makes USA weightlifting remarkable, but in some ways idiotic in our perspective of the rest of the world, is basically we have a bunch of people who come from other sports and/or nothing at all who start training in their 20s, and train 3-5 years to hit 80% of the WR, while most likely most of said dirty Russians, etc, usually trained near a full decade to hit that 80% of the WR, and meanwhile we're bitching life is so unfair when we hit 80% of the WR in 3-5 years starting as fully grown adults.

    For an especially laughable kind of example of this, take the now banned Charis Chan. She started training Crossfit in 2012 after doing various non barbell related sports. In 2016 she literally snatches 80% of the world record in her 20s, training for 4 years not even full time in Olympic weightlifting.

  5. #1495
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    For all the problems with USA/Anglo weightlifting, in some ways we're actually remarkable. In that someone in Russia, Eastern Europe, or Asia training hard there might start the sport as a child, and train a decade to hit 80% of the world record. But they may have started at single digit ages in weightlifting specific training. What makes USA weightlifting remarkable, but in some ways idiotic in our perspective of the rest of the world, is basically we have a bunch of people who come from other sports and/or nothing at all who start training in their 20s, and train 3-5 years to hit 80% of the WR, while most likely most of said dirty Russians, etc, usually trained near a full decade to hit that 80% of the WR, and meanwhile we're bitching life is so unfair when we hit 80% of the WR in 3-5 years starting as fully grown adults.

    For an especially laughable kind of example of this, take the now banned Charis Chan. She started training Crossfit in 2012 after doing various non barbell related sports. In 2016 she literally snatches 80% of the world record in her 20s, training for 4 years not even full time in Olympic weightlifting.
    The difference between Europe/Asia and the US is that, while lifters start training at younger ages, much of the training prior to a certain point is focused on GPP. The lifts are added only gradually. Europeans and Asians also tend to have far better technique than Americans do.

    I do think you've a point about the time to develop, though. American coaches are clearly good at getting lifters to a certain level in fairly quick order. However, I don't think they know how to get the extra 10% or 20%. Admittedly, some of that has to do with drugs, but again, technique probably plays a significant role. American WLers have a reputation for being strong enough to pull trees, but having worse mobility/positions/speed under the bar.

  6. #1496
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    No one should be surprised, he's like the Euro trash Jon North.
    Haha, come on man, he’s nothing like Jon, nobody is. Jon is a parody of himself. I’ve watched Sonny snatch 140 and say/do nothing, Jon would of never done that lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by matej.polak View Post
    Stupid hat? Do you understand why the rules allow it?
    I’m curious?
    Last edited by LiftTheWorld; 11-14-2017 at 04:23 AM.

  7. #1497
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Worcester, England
    Posts
    680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    No one should be surprised, he's like the Euro trash Jon North.
    If you've met him, you would know he's nothing like his social media persona. One of the nicest and most genuine people I've met. I'm sure Jon North in person is quite different from the Jon we see on Instagram.

  8. #1498
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Albegov got suspended based on former antidoping lab boss Rodchenkov's information. Allegedly Albegov tested positive on the 1st April 2013 (out of competition), I guess Rodchenkov swapped the sample http://tass.ru/sport/4725164

  9. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  10. #1499
    Member Blairbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure Jon North in person is quite different from the Jon we see on Instagram.
    I've heard he's pretty chill outside the gym and cool to hang out with from a buddy who was at CS in the old days. I just have no idea for the fuckery level in a gym when I train. It doesn't inspire, it just annoys me. I'm crazy, just not that crazy.

  11. #1500
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    Same here, I wasn't really sold when I first heard it mentioned in a sub but as I've watched his instagram and compared it to people like Amy Hay, that Kyle guy, Jon North, and some elite level lifters I'm growing more convinced. I think if you just type Sonny Webster you'll find at least one thread that mentions it but I can't remember the thread it was first mentioned in because the comment was off-topic.
    Kyle Dosterchill. Prime example.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •