Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 151 of 155 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1547

Thread: The Sanctions Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matej.polak View Post
    Stupid hat? Do you understand why the rules allow it?
    Quote from a barbend article -

A lot of people don’t like it, a lot of people do like it, it kind of came about completely by chance. Myself and Gareth Evans, another UK Olympian who lifts in Wales, we wanted to come out to America to do another training camp at OTC. But it was going to cost us more than we had at the time, so we wanted to use the money to help us with our training and to get some time training together.

So one Sunday afternoon, we were sitting on the sofa and thinking, “What are we going to do?” And I said, why don’t we just jump in my car and travel around to gyms in the UK and see who’s there and who wants to train with us. That idea kind of snowballed and we ended up going to 14 gyms in 14 days giving free seminars to raise money for Healthy Heroes, which is a charity over here in the UK. That’s what we were doing at the time when the hat came about.

We called into a clothing company called Heavy Rep Gear that was sponsoring the tour. For the guys who know me, I’m always doing my hair every morning, always brushing it back, and on the tour we were waking up in the freezing cold at 8am and didn’t have the time to do anything. In the gift packs of apparel from Heavy Rep Gear there were some snapbacks, so instead of doing my hair every morning I just started chucking on the snapback. When we were going into the boxes, I was starting to lift in it.
    It just became a bit of a trademark then, lifting in the red snapback.

Now I can’t lift without it, keeps the sweat out of my eyes and keeps my hair from flopping in my face. It’s just a little bit different. Weightlifting has only about five different types of weightlifting boots you can buy, only about two different types of knee supports, and I wanted to jazz it up a little on the platform.

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dholtsberry View Post
    Kyle Dosterchill. Prime example.
    And now Dosterschill is doing clean and jerk complexes at 180 when that used to be very close to his max. Hooray doping suspensions?
    27/6'1"/200 112/130 Total, 365# BS, 325# FS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    And now Dosterschill is doing clean and jerk complexes at 180 when that used to be very close to his max. Hooray doping suspensions?
    While looking leaner, more muscular/vascular, and seeming to spend a lot more time outside of the gym. He was one of the main examples I based my "postpop instagram" theory on seeing as how he was the first for me. Then Amy Hay started doing it and then I started comparing it to known suspended lifters like North and Olympic winners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote from a barbend article -....
    My post has nothing to do with reasons of this guy.
    My post has to do with wl rules, which allow it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matej.polak View Post
    My post has nothing to do with reasons of this guy.
    My post has to do with wl rules, which allow it.
    Yeah I meant to quote ppstein who questioned both the hat and the reasoning behind the rules.

7. Likes psstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    For all the problems with USA/Anglo weightlifting, in some ways we're actually remarkable. In that someone in Russia, Eastern Europe, or Asia training hard there might start the sport as a child, and train a decade to hit 80% of the world record. But they may have started at single digit ages in weightlifting specific training. What makes USA weightlifting remarkable, but in some ways idiotic in our perspective of the rest of the world, is basically we have a bunch of people who come from other sports and/or nothing at all who start training in their 20s, and train 3-5 years to hit 80% of the WR, while most likely most of said dirty Russians, etc, usually trained near a full decade to hit that 80% of the WR, and meanwhile we're bitching life is so unfair when we hit 80% of the WR in 3-5 years starting as fully grown adults.

For an especially laughable kind of example of this, take the now banned Charis Chan. She started training Crossfit in 2012 after doing various non barbell related sports. In 2016 she literally snatches 80% of the world record in her 20s, training for 4 years not even full time in Olympic weightlifting.
    that's actually a really excellent point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I meant to quote ppstein who questioned both the hat and the reasoning behind the rules.
    Thank you for the article. I still don't like the hat, even if it's within the rules.

Religious headcoverings I'm fine with, stupid accessories are a different story.

10. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    Thank you for the article. I still don't like the hat, even if it's within the rules.

Religious headcoverings I'm fine with, stupid accessories are a different story.
    I used to dislike the hat. Then I realised that it's just a fucking hat. Woop de doo.

12. Likes Blairbob, Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
    it's just a fucking hat
    My thoughts exactly.

Post Thanks / Like
    While looking leaner, more muscular/vascular, and seeming to spend a lot more time outside of the gym. He was one of the main examples I based my "postpop instagram" theory on seeing as how he was the first for me.
    Fairly common if you look at the results of many Foreign elites after a sanction. Including Lasha to burst everyone's bubble put on 40kg to his total post sanction. Rahimov did 152 missing 185 and 190 at the 2013 universaide. Comes back a few years later and is doing 170 and 214.

Only thing is that being in the US means they should still be getting tested under sanction but they are still benefitting from their prior use because of the adaptations within the cells to some degree. Not as much were they ON again, but no doubt probably some. They will never be the same unless of course they walk away from the bar for like 5-10 years and even then, they might end up back where they were in a year. Look at Moser. I'm not even saying that he's on or that I think that he's on, but he's close to his older numbers though he's far heavier in under a year.