Likes Likes:  336
Dislikes Dislikes:  10
Page 280 of 283 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,800 of 2828

Thread: The Sanctions Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    Not doping related, but Rahimov also benefited from an early down signal.
    Rahimov was banned for steroids when he had a ~345 at 77 total in 2013. Came back with 370+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Rahimov was banned for steroids when he had a ~345 at 77 total in 2013. Came back with 370+.
    Ah, right, back when he was lifting for Azerbaijan. So that's 3 Olympic champions from Rio who had served prior doping suspensions (Rahimov, Moradi [methadone], and Lasha), and then the ones that got caught up in something over the past few years (Ruslan Nurudinov, Sopita Tanasan, Hsu Shu-ching, Sukanya Srisurat). And that's just the gold medalists.

Wonder how Tokyo will look by comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    When was the last time there were no failed tests from a WWC? I can't remember, even in the "dark ages" of like 2011 there were a few seemingly random ones.
    It is weird, isn't it?

Oddly enough there were 7 Thai lifters who got sanctions in 2011 (not at worlds, but over the course of the year), all for methandienone, including Sukanya Srisurat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to somebody who I believe has credible knowledge of the situation within the IWF.

They told me that the real reason that the Secretary General is raising this complaint is because Tamas Ajan is believed to have influence over some of the members of the Sanctions Panel and there are fears that he has used that influence (or has threatened to use it) as a weapon to silence or control his political opponents by imposing sanctions on their federations. So the Secretary General is advocating for the ITA to take over the responsibilities of the Sanctions Panel to reduce the power of Tamas Ajan.

In other words it is just more of the same old internal political bullshit.
    Last edited by Cleddau; 11-13-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.iwf.net/focus-on-iwf/executive-board/

and after taking their advice the Executive Board should decide on punishments.
    so if it gets back to the EB doing some kind of vote, there are 7 members whose countries will not be showing up in Tokyo or with only 2 or 4 lifters. If anything, those EB members should be sacked from the EB. Even if Maxim wasn't around for his country's shenanigans.

1st VP: Intarat YODBANGTOEY from Thailand. VP's: Nicu Vlad from Romania. Zhanat TUSSUPBEKOV from Kaz. Executive board members: Birendra Prasad BAISHYA from India, Maxim AGAPITOV from Russia, Shakhrillo MAKHMUDOV from Uzbekistan, Kamal Mahmoud MAHGOUB from Egypt.

That's 7/16 or 7/15 not including Ajan. 7/21 if you include presidents of continental federations

We can almost guarantee these members would vote for no restrictions against their countries. Or reduced restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like
    USA Weightlifting chief executive Phil Andrews says he agrees entirely with International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) general secretary Mohamed Jaloud that the world governing body should outsource all its anti-doping operation and results management, including sanctions for National Federations, to an independent body such as the International Testing Agency (ITA).
    https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...ping-sanctions

7. Likes Blairbob, Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify my comments - Mr Jaloud is seeking to "get rid" of the Independent Sanctions Panel, and have the EB decide on sanctions. The EB deciding on sanctions is simply not appropriate, and independent sanctions (such as we have now) must be binding.

9. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob, jockomoron, Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would seem that another Thai champion has hit the skids.

If you look at the results for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games on the IWF website) you'll notice that KHAMHAENG Supatchanin has quietly been downgraded from 1st to DSQ in the W63+ class.

Which I expect to mean that a reallocation of the Olympic medals is imminent.

11. Likes erpel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    It would seem that another Thai champion has hit the skids.

If you look at the results for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games on the IWF website) you'll notice that KHAMHAENG Supatchanin has quietly been downgraded from 1st to DSQ in the W63+ class.

Which I expect to mean that a reallocation of the Olympic medals is imminent.
    And there is now confirmation in the media that she tested positive.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...d-medal-doping
    Last edited by Cleddau; 11-28-2019 at 06:12 AM.

13. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really dislike these hidden youth positives. Either publish none or all of them, at the moment there's an arbitrariness of unknown value attatched.

In theory there could be multiple countries out of Tokyo 2020 contention by amassing three ghost sanctions and we wouldn't know of it until the entries next summer.

15. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post