Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Book Recomondations

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading Stranger In A Strange Land right now.

Girlfriend just read Starship Troopers and loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Just finished The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro who won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2017....highly recommended.

Now reading The Big Short
    Nice I will check it out.

I loved the movie for The Big Short.

3. Likes T_M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Big Short was a good read...but it helped to familiarize myself with some the jargon early on.

Just finished Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Short book but not a particularly easy or entertaining read. Some great passages and cool to get into the head of a guy that was almost literally the king of the world 2000 years ago.

Just started The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway....god I love Hemingway...can't believe I didn't read this decades ago when I was on a Hemingway kick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Recently finished The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. It’s a historical narrative about the first 30 days of World War I. Everything is well sourced but it reads more like a novel than a documentary. I found it thoroughly captivating...so much so that it kind of ruined me from starting another book right away...still need to process the magnitude of what happened a hundred years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes T_M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love Family Guy. LOL @ Balzac!

Currently reading The Grapes of Wrath. Never read it before...my daughter is an English Lit major and wanted to talk about it so I started reading it. God what a depressing story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Read most of Vonnegut's stuff decades ago but missed a few. Just finished Breakfast of Champions. I'd forgotten how whimsical yet thought-provoking he can be.

Post Thanks / Like
    i got a bunch of Nietzsche books
    guy was genius

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
    i got a bunch of Nietzsche books
    guy was genius
    Got anything specific to recommend? Been wanting to get into his works.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Epicurus said that philosophy is for the mind what medicine is for the body,the philosophical word that doesnt cure any passion is useless
    with that in my mind i found reading Nietzsche a very positive impact in my life,i cant define exactly how,but i found my self interacting with people,challenges and
    unexpected difficulties very calmly and happily

First book of his i read was the Will for power,a really way of thinking changer,i remember an awesome quote from that book
    he says " i call corrupted an animal,a specie,a person who acts against its interest,who prefers what damages it"

his book Early Greek Philosophy & Other Essays i found it very useful to understand his way of thinking,his opinion of what benefits and what hurts
    he explains why he hates Socrates and consider him guilty for the death of the ancient Greek spirit

His Zarathustra book,i read about 40 pages,looks nice and interesting,i m not impressed but on the other hand didnt read it carefully so far,
    he refers to it as his gospel and as a book anyone who wish to understand his work,must read it first,
    he says that to Ecce homo,a book that i dont particulary understand or find it interesting

the genealogy of morals is fascinating for me,well written and easy to understand,he talks about a very interesting matter,about i n s t i c t s

his poems to Dionysus,i found them hard to understand
    i have another book called philosophy by Nietzsche,its just quotes of his work,reminds me of the happy science,but i found it hard to follow

his book european nihilism is simply amazing,talks about values that produced the civilizations in Europe and the values that destruct them

a few months ago i found at the library a book called 99 lessons from Nietzsche,i gave it a look,it was awful
    Last edited by nevermind; 06-27-2018 at 07:04 PM.