Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: l fitness challenge/Training for it

Post Thanks / Like

l fitness challenge/Training for it

Me and two buddies are doing a New Years Fitness challenge and was wondering what your thoughts on training for it.

We are all roughly the same size and have similar training totals (none of us actually compete)

Part 1) Weightlifting: Pretty self explanatory, snatch and Clean and jerk to get your total. We will be doing something a little different when it comes to taking the attempts but basically just a three person weightlifting session.

Part 2) Weight loss: Every pound you lose will be added to your weightlifting total. I'm starting at 197 lbs the other are at 204 lbs and 213 lbs

Part 3) A Metric Century bike race: For every minute behind the winner (of us three) you subtract 1 Lb off your total from parts 1 and 2 to get your final total. Highest total wins and gets $500 from each loser.

The lifting and weigh in portions will be done April 22 and the bike ride will be done on April 30 (The Haleiwa Metric Century here in Hawaii)

How would you guys structure your training for something stupid like this. Thanks for your input

Post Thanks / Like
    Difficult to say since we don't know your current fitness levels. Very interesting though...
    Losing weight will make lifting more difficult but make cycling easier.
    How's your aerobic system right now?
    Squatting will help both lifting and cycling.
    The bike race could be a winfall for you if your opponent has focused entirely on lifting and you have focused on endurance.
    So many variables...!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that weight GAIN would yield more results. Lose 10 lbs and if you're already lean you could be losing more than 10 lbs from your total. Gain 10 lbs and you'll likely add more weight to your total so it'll likely either be a wash or potentially more beneficial to gain. An extra few lbs of bodyweight likely wouldn't cause you to be any slower in the cycling portion. Further to that a minute is a long ass time in a race so again I would gain weight and focus on a bigger weightlifting total. Easier to gut it out cycling, you can't gut out a bigger snatch.

All in all the biggest pitfall would be to focus on the weight loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gaining weight is an interesting idea but say I gain 10 lbs (i'm not super lean to begin with and i'm not gaining 10 lbs of lean mass in 4 months) i'm not sure that I would increase my total enough to offset the negative lbs from my total for gaining weight. It would be more beneficial to lose 5 lbs and keep my total the exact same or slightly increase it. A minute seems like it could be a long time but in a 60 mile race, getting 5 minutes ahead of someone isn't out of the questions.

Current fitness levels
    I suck and weightlifting and am not strong at all so right now I can hit 75K (165 lbs) in the snatch and 91 K (200 lbs) in the clean and jerk with no misses
    I could probably do the bike race this weekend no problem but it would take me 5 ish hours or so if I was riding by myself.
    I currently lift 3 times a week sometimes up to 5 times depending on if there is surf. If the surf is good i'll surf either before or after work and not lift. I currently ride the bike a little just about every other day. I do ride it to the store and sometime to work (15 miles one way). Every couple of weeks i'll go on a ride 2 hour ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing your workout routine. I have also started my workout to lose some weight and gain muscle strength. Please suggest some workouts to perform at the gym. My buddy is following this website for awesome weight loss tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was figuring it would take you between 4-6hours for that race.

In 9months you could put A LOT on your total. We would need to know if that's a lean or soft #197 and if your technique is a shitshow or solid besides just being not that strong in WL terms. I'm guessing for example you don't squat 180. Maybe 140?

About how long do you have to train for your WL sessions? 2-3hrs or half that? If you don't have much more than 90 minutes, I don't think you're probably gonna put say 30-40kg on your total unless you actually have some untapped potential.

Knocking off 10% of your BW, heck even 5% makes a difference on the bike. I can remember trying to bike at #200+my backpack of gear vs under 190 or 180. Noticeable to huge difference. If you're a tall guy, say near 6', you might be able to afford an increase of BW up to 10%. If you're a slender shorter guy (5'7ish) then I'd say no more than 5% if that. Again, depends on whether your BF is near 10%, 15, 20, or 25%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just some thoughts on the bike portion from an old once upon a time bike racer.

In your bike training work only on speed. If you can find someone who is just a little faster than you or a group that rides at a pretty fast tempo, ride with them once a week. An hour or so ride will be enough. Learn to ride in a pace line also. That is the best way to train for racing. Slow riding is like doing snatches with only the bar.

As to the bike ride, century rides are pretty informal. They aren't really races. There is a huge variation in the abilities, everything from racers who do them as training rides (almost always in a group with other racers) to people who might ride 10 miles once in preparation. If one of you can ride with a group that is going relatively fast and the two others essentially ride alone, the group will put huge time into the individual riders. By the same token, don't let your competitors drop you.

Take some food with you and eat it before you feel you need to. Energy bars are fine.

Good luck with your competition. Weightlifting and bike racing (on the road) don't have much in common, which makes it an interesting competition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Train hard in the lifts and ride your bike some. Count on your competitors going too hard on the bike and blowing up, allowing you to happily pedal past their spent carcasses on the roadside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spammer necros a thread and now we are responding

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I feel dumb. My comment still stands, thougb