Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Expectations

Realistic Expectations

I have been trying to learn the lifts for maybe a year now. Not having the best of luck and unfortunately I can not afford the one coach in the area. Im 38 with a bw of 100kg currently. My max squat is 106.8kg. I really wanted to pursue a lifetime goal of a 227.27kg squat. Is this a realistic goal? I have been lifting weights for maybe the past 5-6 years. Thanks.

Do you really want to do it?

Take a holiday, spend a solid 2 weeks, month, what ever, with the best coach you can afford and really learn and experience training. Habits and knowledge are more important than anything it terms of getting the most out of the genetics you have been dealt. Diet and programming could be on point but unless you have skills and some other people around you setting the standard then it will be difficult. After 5-6 years of doing it yourself you probably would have done it by now otherwise.

Once you have the skills, then training with people stronger than you would be the next tactic to try.

Is there a gym in your area with other weightlifters? Assuming you do the lifts, that is. As mentioned above, look around for like minded guys that are stronger.

Let's see, a 38 year old who has been training for 5-6 years and whose best squat is about 105 kg asks if his goal of squatting 227 kg is realistic. I would say it's a dream rather than a realistic goal. There is nothing wrong with dreaming. I do it all the time, imagining myself winning a world championship when lifting my training weight that of course is nothing remotely close to what would be needed. Dreaming feels good and is something of a rehearsal for actual competing. Dreams, however, are not goals. Goals are short term, concrete things. If 105 is your best lift, a reasonable goal is to make something like 107 your immediate goal.

As a master lifter things get harder. I firmly believe that for master lifters, the process--going to the gym, warming up, doing your planned training, cooling down, feeling good about what you did--should be as much a goal as is adding a kilo or two to your lifts. In the long run loving the process is what it's all about.

I suggest to seek help. Let someone look over your technique. Maybe just film yourself from the side and load it up here.
    The other question is how you train. Do you follow a specific routine or did you make up something yourself? How regular do you lift?
    Other factors such as nutrition and sleep play a big role too.

And last but not least train with others. Even if it just occasionally, but simply seeing someone lift something heavier than you can do now
    will do wonders for you. The mind can hold us back and I see it with lifters that have never trained with others. They have a barrier in their
    head that doesn't allow them to breake their current PR.

Whether you reach your goal I cannot say, but you should be able to squat much more than bodyweight.

Im in your boat OP (late 30's, weak squatter), and Im starting to think not.

I just got done running 5/3/1 for 12 weeks, and tested a max squat last night, and failed at would have been a new, yet still pathetic, PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post
    Is there a gym in your area with other weightlifters? Assuming you do the lifts, that is. As mentioned above, look around for like minded guys that are stronger.
    There a couple of Crossfit Gyms but only one USAW certified coach here. He charges $400 a month for coaching and that is really out of my price range right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageGuy View Post
    Im in your boat OP (late 30's, weak squatter), and Im starting to think not.

I just got done running 5/3/1 for 12 weeks, and tested a max squat last night, and failed at would have been a new, yet still pathetic, PR.
    I have been doing 5/3/1 for over 8 weeks now. I would have to look at my log book to see for sure. I thought I was seeing results but today I went for my 5's at 175lbs and I couldn't get past 2 reps....

He charges $400 a month for coaching and that is really out of my price range right now.
    That is beyond ridiculous unless he has a big name reputation and a lot of it was semi-personal.

If you only wanted to squat 227/#500 and not care about Sn or CJ or anything else, sure maybe if we knew some more details. If you had 0 or little athletic experience, not likely. If your parents weren't fairly athletic or strong, not a good chance either.

Other factors include ample sleep, low stress, ability to train and recover and afford to eat and good hormone levels (not low T or middle road T levels).

Quote Originally Posted by Aklasher View Post
    There a couple of Crossfit Gyms but only one USAW certified coach here. He charges $400 a month for coaching and that is really out of my price range right now.
    Jesus... that is fucking absurd. Anyone that out to lunch on value is probably as out to lunch on technique too. No loss. Close to me (by this sites standards, not mine) are a handful ov good, well-respected coaches. Far as i know, only one charges for coaching. You do have to pay to get in the gym, or club, or whatever, but thats a basic and very reasonable fee. The one who charges ($100/month) trains out ov a university, and is out ov pocket himself to do so, so even thats a bit fair. Oh, and run the hell away from Crossfit... unless you KNOW the coach is good (and others who know more than you do recommend him as well).

I'd suspect you're leaving something out, speaking ov your goal and training. If a program as simple as 5/3/1 is failing so miserably after 8 weeks then you're doing it wrong, or something else is up. Skip the lifetime goals and just make goals. We have another thread here about limitations and genetic limits (as pertains to squatting), find it and read it. Start with a long term goal ov 315lbs (three plates), with a short term one ov say, 275. If you'd gone from a 225 squat to 315 in those 8 months, then maybe you could consider looking for 500 down the road. Trust me... if you were on the road to 500 you'd know it very quickly. Not trying to be a dick here, but a 235 squat at 220 bodyweight after 5-6 years training is very suspicious (low). If it looks less realistic, then stick with smaller goals and inch that max up. Also, find out why your programs are failing.