Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoutain View Post
    i think if you're not squatting over 106 at 100 and you're actually asking this question then YES this is an unrealistic goal for you. i'm almost your age and last year i squatted 100+ days in a row and added 100# to my squat in that time, and then by the end of the year another 15#. my point isn't as nuanced as others here, but my gut thought is you're not trying hard enough. you don't need a coach to add weight to your squat.
    What did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by GarageGuy View Post
    What did you do?
    as heavy as possible doubles and triples, rarely 5's every day. basically if i took 275 for a triple yesterday, i always assumed i had at least a double in me today, and just went up pound by pound until after 3 or so months i attempted a pr single and it was only like 5# up from the previous day's double. you know? rest of the year was 3-4x a week more conventional squat program.

but i feel like the doubles were the key at 80-90%.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoutain View Post
    as heavy as possible doubles and triples, rarely 5's every day. basically if i took 275 for a triple yesterday, i always assumed i had at least a double in me today, and just went up pound by pound until after 3 or so months i attempted a pr single and it was only like 5# up from the previous day's double. you know? rest of the year was 3-4x a week more conventional squat program.

but i feel like the doubles were the key at 80-90%.
    How many total reps a day?

I can squat often if I really keep the volume down.

Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post

I'd suspect you're leaving something out, speaking ov your goal and training. If a program as simple as 5/3/1 is failing so miserably after 8 weeks then you're doing it wrong
    100% this.

Context. Just finished month 6 training a client. 52 years old. 6ft, 6" tall. Long legs. Very little coordination. Almost zero strength training background. bw 98kg and squat is now 110kg for 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Character Strength View Post
    100% this.

Context. Just finished month 6 training a client. 52 years old. 6ft, 6" tall. Long legs. Very little coordination. Almost zero strength training background. bw 98kg and squat is now 110kg for 5.
    Again, all it has done for me after 12 weeks is make me better at doing sets of 10. My max lifts have not gone up, and my "+" sets at heavier weights is not really improving.

I have also gained about 15lbs over that time frame, so I am eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Character Strength View Post
    100% this.

Yay makes feel even better about myself! Not sure what else you guys want to know. I have been eating more than I used to to the point I poop several times a day! :P Weird thing is I am losing weight. Not much but my weight is down. My life has been very stressful since I found out in the middle of Nov I was being laid off in Dec. My sleep is not perfect and has not been since I was in high school. I am pretty sure I followed 5/3/1 like you are supposed to but there is a chance I goofed things up. To me most workouts felt easy until it was time to max out. Lol I tried 250#'s and recorded myself. You can see me hesitate then get pinned at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Aklasher View Post
    Yay makes feel even better about myself! Not sure what else you guys want to know. I have been eating more than I used to to the point I poop several times a day! :P Weird thing is I am losing weight. Not much but my weight is down. My life has been very stressful since I found out in the middle of Nov I was being laid off in Dec. My sleep is not perfect and has not been since I was in high school. I am pretty sure I followed 5/3/1 like you are supposed to but there is a chance I goofed things up. To me most workouts felt easy until it was time to max out. Lol I tried 250#'s and recorded myself. You can see me hesitate then get pinned at the bottom.
    I'm gonna say what no one else here has said yet. Go to a doctor, get your testosterone levels checked.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageGuy View Post
    How many total reps a day?

I can squat often if I really keep the volume down.
    warm up with 2-3x10 empty bar good mornings super set with 5-10 empty bar squats, then 2ish more sets moving up of the gm/squat , then squats only; 5-8 maybe 10 at 135, 2-5 @ 185, 2-3 at 225, then 2 or 1 going up. more than 20 less than 30 total reps. you find the more confident you get the stronger you get the bigger jumps you can take. some days when feeling really bad or sick i would walk into the gym load 225 and take that for a double cold and go home. if you want look back at my ig from last year, i posted a lot of squats https://www.instagram.com/thatmountain/?hl=en

OK random and maybe useless question. If I have a weak lower back would that hinder my progression. I ask because there are days when I am doing stuff around the house and my lower back burns. No sharp pain but feels tired....lol hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    I'm gonna say what no one else here has said yet. Go to a doctor, get your testosterone levels checked.
    Seconded.