Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: 2017 Goals Thread

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondCrusader View Post
    Bump.

    How's everyone doing with their goals?

    I'm not one to talk about goals, bro. Been away from the lifting game for a while. But it keeps eating away at the back of my mind to get back at it one day.

    I always wanted to improve upon my 100 kilo squat at 275BW (lbs). According to most online "LP" programs and internet forums I was supposed to hit 675lb squat in 12 months at maximum. I believe there are even strength standards charts somewhere that scientifically reinforce this. Those gains didn't fucking happen to say the least.

    Most people I've ever asked chalk it up to simply a form error or not eating enough. Others argue that the bar position on the back was critical and some key underlying detail was missed on that. For example 1" deviation in bar position can easily make a 300lb difference, so they say.

    Then others simply ask me about diet and supplement regime claiming to be 80% of the game.

    Now you can see why so many people quit the lifting game after experiencing the circular advice thing for so long.

    Oh well, one day I will get back to it.
    To make progress in anything you have to develop consistency. I doubt very few people can take a 100 kg Squat (220 lbs) and move it to 675 in 12 months.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    To make progress in anything you have to develop consistency. I doubt very few people can take a 100 kg Squat (220 lbs) and move it to 675 in 12 months.
    I know you mean well but this is the exact kind of circular advice I was referring to before.

    I forget them all now:

    "you've gotta want it bad enough"
    "you've gotta be consistent"
    "you've gotta train smarter not harder"

    lol fuck I've forgotten more than I remember. Help me out here.

    How many $ worth of ebooks have all these bullshits help sold by now?

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Youre def using circular wrong. Circular reasoning is A is true because B is true and B is true because A is true. So youre not a good lifter because you're inconsistent and you're inconsistent because you're not a good lifter, that's circular reasoning.

    What youre getting is either considered a platitude or truism. But the basis of a platitude or truism is that its so common because its right. You have to be consistent to get better at lifting, if youre not consistent (and you took time off) you can't get better.

    Going from 100kg to to 305kg in one year is impossible for anyone who isn't gifted af. Consistency, sleep, supplementation, whatever isn't going to have you put 205kg on one lift in only a year unless you're much better than the average man or that supplementation comes in the illegal variety. But that doesn't mean you can't go in and work on getting better. Follow a program, get your diet in check( there are free apps to monitor your TDEE and macros), and just do it.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondCrusader View Post
    Bump.

    How's everyone doing with their goals?

    I'm not one to talk about goals, bro. Been away from the lifting game for a while. But it keeps eating away at the back of my mind to get back at it one day.

    I always wanted to improve upon my 100 kilo squat at 275BW (lbs). According to most online "LP" programs and internet forums I was supposed to hit 675lb squat in 12 months at maximum. I believe there are even strength standards charts somewhere that scientifically reinforce this. Those gains didn't fucking happen to say the least.

    Most people I've ever asked chalk it up to simply a form error or not eating enough. Others argue that the bar position on the back was critical and some key underlying detail was missed on that. For example 1" deviation in bar position can easily make a 300lb difference, so they say.

    Then others simply ask me about diet and supplement regime claiming to be 80% of the game.

    Now you can see why so many people quit the lifting game after experiencing the circular advice thing for so long.

    Oh well, one day I will get back to it.
    Links please. I've never seen any of the big LP programs and the people pushing them ever make a promise like this. Tell me you didn't actually buy that you would go from 220 to 675 in a year? I mean come on, 99% of people who squat on a regular basis are unlikely to squat 300kg ever let alone in 12 months.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    Youre def using circular wrong. Circular reasoning is A is true because B is true and B is true because A is true. So youre not a good lifter because you're inconsistent and you're inconsistent because you're not a good lifter, that's circular reasoning.

    What youre getting is either considered a platitude or truism. But the basis of a platitude or truism is that its so common because its right. You have to be consistent to get better at lifting, if youre not consistent (and you took time off) you can't get better.

    Going from 100kg to to 305kg in one year is impossible for anyone who isn't gifted af. Consistency, sleep, supplementation, whatever isn't going to have you put 205kg on one lift in only a year unless you're much better than the average man or that supplementation comes in the illegal variety. But that doesn't mean you can't go in and work on getting better. Follow a program, get your diet in check( there are free apps to monitor your TDEE and macros), and just do it.
    First, I can use circular however the fuck I want. And secondly, I said circular advice, not reasoning, so you are attempting to instigate a red herring chase bro.

    So youre not a good lifter
    What youre getting is either considered a platitude or truism
    Wow look at all these $5 words yet you fuck up your contractions and punctuation marks, and *your* not even on a phone. Normally I wouldn't point out something so trivial, in the context of a proper argument, but this is funny for some reason.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    Links please. I've never seen any of the big LP programs and the people pushing them ever make a promise like this. Tell me you didn't actually buy that you would go from 220 to 675 in a year? I mean come on, 99% of people who squat on a regular basis are unlikely to squat 300kg ever let alone in 12 months.
    Well look, this isn't so much officially published anywhere as it is transfused through communal attitude. I don't get that impression from this particular forum (yet), but it exists elsewhere.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondCrusader View Post
    First, I can use circular however the fuck I want. And secondly, I said circular advice, not reasoning, so you are attempting to instigate a red herring chase bro.





    Wow look at all these $5 words yet you fuck up your contractions and punctuation marks, and *your* not even on a phone. Normally I wouldn't point out something so trivial, in the context of a proper argument, but this is funny for some reason.
    I mean you can use the words how they are meant to to convey the idea they are meant to.....and buddy its youre as in you are. Your is possessive as in "your control of language is abysmal" but youre is the contraction "youre sure not making it easy to be nice to you". Those sentences you quoted from me "so youre (you are) not a good lifter." and "what youre (you are) getting is either considered a platitiude or truism". Adding the punctuation mark is meanlingless on unofficial documents, its slower and we're talking over an internet forum.

    Take the advice I laid out above or don't literally no one cares.

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think the problem is the same problem that keeps you at 100kg back squat at 275 lbs body weight. I don't know what that is but 100 kg seems weirdly low.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    From my prospective on what I’ve read so far, I think the problem is attitude.

  10. Likes PVCPipe, Bulldog73 liked this post
  11. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    I mean you can use the words how they are meant to to convey the idea they are meant to.....and buddy its youre as in you are. Your is possessive as in "your control of language is abysmal" but youre is the contraction "youre sure not making it easy to be nice to you". Those sentences you quoted from me "so youre (you are) not a good lifter." and "what youre (you are) getting is either considered a platitiude or truism". Adding the punctuation mark is meanlingless on unofficial documents, its slower and we're talking over an internet forum.

    Take the advice I laid out above or don't literally no one cares.
    I didn't even read what you just posted, you come across as a wanker tbqh

  12. Likes PVCPipe liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •