Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broken Werksan bar and I can't contact Werksan

Post Thanks / Like
    Plates are plates, everyone outside of Uesaka basically all outsource for the same plates, but quality bars are the biggest priority. I don't know why anyone would buy a Werksan barbell; I have never seen or heard so many bars from one company lock up. Am I the only one who also grabs one and think they feel more cheaply made than Eleiko or Uesaka?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Plates are plates, everyone outside of Uesaka basically all outsource for the same plates, but quality bars are the biggest priority. I don't know why anyone would buy a Werksan barbell; I have never seen or heard so many bars from one company lock up. Am I the only one who also grabs one and think they feel more cheaply made than Eleiko or Uesaka?
    No, you're not the only one. When Werksan appeared, they were considered good, but not Elieko level. But, they were cheaper when they entered the market. Joe DeLago was the US distributer and any problems were handled quickly and to the satisfaction of the customer. For a while, these were the barbells used at national meets. Looks as though the prices have been elevated. Personally, it would have to be a significant savings to get me away from Elieko. This is something you'll have for a long time. As I type this, I am in the basement using a 36y/o Elieko bar which is still like new. So, over the course of a couple of decades or so, what's two or three hundred dollars saved? I hear good things about Rogue and would consider them, with a little more research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    I hadn't really heard about them locking up until I bought this one and it happened to me. Before then I had lifted on other Werksan bars and honestly preferred the overall feel of them over Eleiko. If I had to do it again though I would obviously buy Eleiko or literally any other brand. I tried contacting Werksan in Turkey and they never got back to me, either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post
    No, you're not the only one. When Werksan appeared, they were considered good, but not Elieko level. But, they were cheaper when they entered the market. Joe DeLago was the US distributer and any problems were handled quickly and to the satisfaction of the customer. For a while, these were the barbells used at national meets. Looks as though the prices have been elevated. Personally, it would have to be a significant savings to get me away from Elieko. This is something you'll have for a long time. As I type this, I am in the basement using a 36y/o Elieko bar which is still like new. So, over the course of a couple of decades or so, what's two or three hundred dollars saved? I hear good things about Rogue and would consider them, with a little more research.
    Funny you say that. Last week had an Eleiko belt break which we had had for 2 YEARS and never used. Used it once last week and it broke. Contacted Eleiko and THEY were horrified. I didn't have a leg to stand on and only contacted them to let them know they had a problem. THEY offered a new belt and threw in a t-shirt to boot. Best customer service ever. I am still sitting here scratching my head cause I cannot believe it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    Funny you say that. Last week had an Eleiko belt break which we had had for 2 YEARS and never used. Used it once last week and it broke. Contacted Eleiko and THEY were horrified. I didn't have a leg to stand on and only contacted them to let them know they had a problem. THEY offered a new belt and threw in a t-shirt to boot. Best customer service ever. I am still sitting here scratching my head cause I cannot believe it.
    Not surprising. When Bud Charniga was the distributor for Elieko, we had a 25kg plate break. Called Bud and we had a new one before we could get the broken one shipped back to him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post
    Is Joe DeLago still involved with WerkSan?
    I believe he is still. I see him every so often when I lift at his gym in Moorestown, NJ. I don't know how much he's involved in the distribution of equipment etc. though. From what I've heard it seems like Kenny is the one that handles all of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    Was it one of the white leather belts? I heard that they had an issue with those at one point and they discontinued them for a while. I think they started selling them again about a year ago now, first time I saw them for sale again was at Worlds last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SG55 View Post
    So in June 2015 I bought a competition bar from Werksan USA. By March of 2016 there must have been a snap ring issue or something because one end locked up and stopped spinning. I tried emailing them, and got no response. Tried calling, same thing. This went on for quite awhile until finally in December they got back to me saying they had repair kits for snap rings and would send me one if I replied with my address. I did, and they never got back to me after that. I've tried calling again, I've sent a few more emails... still nothing. I tried getting in contact via other social media and that did not work. I also contacted Eleiko and Rogue to see if they could help, and they immediately got back to me but as I expected couldn't really do much.

I remember when I bought my bar Werksan was weeks late sending it to me and I remember having to email a couple of times to get them to actually send me my bar (after they had already charged me of course). So... does anyone know anything about getting a Werksan fixed or perhaps someway I might be able to contact them? It's definitely frustrating investing nearly $1000 into a piece of equipment that I haven't had use of for basically an entire year, and have no clue how to fix myself. If anyone has any advice for me I'd really appreciate it.

(Also sorry if this is the wrong section to be posting about this, I don't really frequent these forums.)
    Are you sure it's a snapring? If a snapring fails, generally the bar spins fine, the sleeve simply falls off. These are easy to check and easier to fix. Snaprings are dirt cheap.

But I doubt that's the problem with your bar.

Your problem sounds like a bearing seized up. This is very very bad. There is no repair kit they can send you. The bearing, which is pressed into the sleeve, would have to be removed from the sleeve, and a new one pressed in. This can only be done at the factory. Good luck getting them to fix it.

Recently a relatively well known lifter has the same issue with his gym full of Werksan. He called and emailed constantly. Then he aired the problem on Facebook and Instagram. People were tagging all sorts of higher ups from Werksan and Werksan USA in the posts. They didn't seem to care. The last I saw, it hadn't been resolved, despite the negative publicity.

I was considering a Werksan Lion when I get a new bar. The last 6 months have convinced me otherwise. I'll buy anything else. Their problems are very widespread and well known. They don't care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    Are you sure it's a snapring? If a snapring fails, generally the bar spins fine, the sleeve simply falls off. These are easy to check and easier to fix. Snaprings are dirt cheap.

But I doubt that's the problem with your bar.

Your problem sounds like a bearing seized up. This is very very bad. There is no repair kit they can send you. The bearing, which is pressed into the sleeve, would have to be removed from the sleeve, and a new one pressed in. This can only be done at the factory. Good luck getting them to fix it.

Recently a relatively well known lifter has the same issue with his gym full of Werksan. He called and emailed constantly. Then he aired the problem on Facebook and Instagram. People were tagging all sorts of higher ups from Werksan and Werksan USA in the posts. They didn't seem to care. The last I saw, it hadn't been resolved, despite the negative publicity.

I was considering a Werksan Lion when I get a new bar. The last 6 months have convinced me otherwise. I'll buy anything else. Their problems are very widespread and well known. They don't care.
    Wow, that's ridiculous. I've been commenting on their facebook and instagram trying to get a response, and the only response I ever got was them giving me an email address that I'd already emailed before. It really sucks because it's starting to look like I'm out a solid 800+ dollars. I hope more people start to realize how shady this company is. One person warned me they had bad customer service when I was going to buy my bar... really should have listened and invested in an Eleiko or something.

And no I'm not 100% sure it's a snap ring issue, that's just what they said it sounded like in the one email they responded to. So great, it's even worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear this, it's unbelievably poor business on their part. It is never good to ignore your customers. I know a lot of people who have purchased expensive weightlifting sets and they take care of them, some to the point of being OCD. When my son was little, he used to scrub the platform in our basement. Our Elieko bar has never been on a rack. It's very doubtful this kind of damage is the result of abuse.

What I don't understand is why they do this, especially in this day with the Internet and social media. I don't know how many unique viewers have seen this thread, but throw in Instagram, Facebook and simply word of mouth and it's anyone's guess how many bars they won't sell. It's not like this bar is 10-15 years old. It should be fixed or replaced.