Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2017 MotoGP thread

Post Thanks / Like

The 2017 MotoGP thread

Well I'll try to get this topic rolling again. There's gotta be fans here! Going to be an exciting season. Lorenzo on the Ducati, Iannone on the Suzuki, Vinales on the Yamaha, of course the GOAT Rossi, and the fireball kid Marquez. Plus new manufacturers like Aprilia and KTM! I'm really looking forward to this year.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Halfway through and I'd sum up the season so far as "the more things change, the more they stay the same". While we saw impressive early title challenges from the likes of Vinales and Dovi, I feel like they have/will fizzle out and Marquez will pretty much dominate the rest of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    Halfway through and I'd sum up the season so far as "the more things change, the more they stay the same". While we saw impressive early title challenges from the likes of Vinales and Dovi, I feel like they have/will fizzle out and Marquez will pretty much dominate the rest of the year.
    I really hope you're wrong. I will say that if Rossi loses this championship, it's no one's fault but his own. He threw away precious points in Le Mans by letting his ego get the best of him, and he made the same mistake in Brno as he did in Germany last year by staying out too long on the rain tyres. It's kind of embarrassing when a veteran loses not because he's not fast enough, but because he's losing his cool.

The horse shoe that's up Marquezes ass does seem to be planted there just as firmly as ever though. Hopefully Vinales can get his shit together for the 2nd half of the season.

In other news, Redding will be replacing Lowes next year at Aprilia. Shame, Redding SUCKS.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I really hope you're wrong. I will say that if Rossi loses this championship, it's no one's fault but his own. He threw away precious points in Le Mans by letting his ego get the best of him, and he made the same mistake in Brno as he did in Germany last year by staying out too long on the rain tyres. It's kind of embarrassing when a veteran loses not because he's not fast enough, but because he's losing his cool.

The horse shoe that's up Marquezes ass does seem to be planted there just as firmly as ever though. Hopefully Vinales can get his shit together for the 2nd half of the season.

In other news, Redding will be replacing Lowes next year at Aprilia. Shame, Redding SUCKS.
    Personally, I don't think Lowes ever really deserved a GP ride in the first place, so no biggie if he ends up sitting home next year. As for Redding, not sure why he keeps getting chance after chance? But honestly, who would want to ride for Aprillia given what a mess that team has been since they came back to GP? Maybe I'm just salty for the way that Honda treated Bautista (forcing him to ride with Nissin breaks/showa suspension for two years, only to hand his bike over to the under performing Redding with Ohlins/Brembos no less), or perhaps I'm annoyed that Aprillia dropped Bautista and Bradl when the bike was clearly shit; but Redding/Aprillia can flounder at the back of the grid next year and it will be alright with me.

Vinales this year really reminds me of Lorenzo's rookie year: started off with a bang, challenging for the title, and then fading to mid pack for the 2nd half of the year. I was originally expecting Vinales to blow Rossi away this season, but now I'm thinking Rossi will manage to edge him out.

As for Rossi, not sure what he/his team were thinking last week; but surely it should have been as simple as follow/copy Marquez? If you're not sure which tyre's to use because of the conditions, just do whatever your competition is doing. If Marquez gets it right (he usually does in mixed conditions) by doing the same thing Rossi could have stuck with him/ challenged for the win. If Marquez gets it wrong, then at least your screwed together.

As for Marquez, the longer I watch him race; the more I'm convinced that he really is just that talented. Suspect he'll be on top again this weekend, thought I'm hoping the ducati boys can shake things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post

As for Rossi, not sure what he/his team were thinking last week; but surely it should have been as simple as follow/copy Marquez? If you're not sure which tyre's to use because of the conditions, just do whatever your competition is doing. If Marquez gets it right (he usually does in mixed conditions) by doing the same thing Rossi could have stuck with him/ challenged for the win. If Marquez gets it wrong, then at least your screwed together.

As for Marquez, the longer I watch him race; the more I'm convinced that he really is just that talented. Suspect he'll be on top again this weekend, thought I'm hoping the ducati boys can shake things up.
    Exactly with Rossi. Just do what Marc does in the rain. He usually gets it right anyway.

Marquez is for sure extremely talented, but he's also been gifted quite a few things in his career.

On pole again this weekend, so we'll see how the race plays out. Dovi did his entire FP4 session on the soft, and he did his Q2 on the medium and managed to get the bike on the front row. Should be interesting based on who has the right race set up.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Pedrobot with some sick acting skills.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    So happy to see Dovi win. He was my pick for the championship the last two years (and would have been close last year if it weren't for a technical DNF and being harpooned twice).

I told everyone Dovi was coming after his first win and they said "fluke." What's up now bitches?!

Also, so glad to see him destroying Lorenslow. Guess they better transfer that 10 million dollar contract...

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    So happy to see Dovi win. He was my pick for the championship the last two years (and would have been close last year if it weren't for a technical DNF and being harpooned twice).

I told everyone Dovi was coming after his first win and they said "fluke." What's up now bitches?!

Also, so glad to see him destroying Lorenslow. Guess they better transfer that 10 million dollar contract...
    Really pumped that Dovi got that one, and I would love it if he took the title this year; but I just don't see it happening. Of the 7 races left, I honestly think Marquez will win 4 or 5 of them; and don't think anyone else will be consistent enough to stick with him.

As for Jorge (full disclosure: he's my favorite rider), I'll gladly admit hes been a disappointment this year. I think he really got caught out by switching to Ducati just as the winglets were getting banned. Yet, I honestly believe that a year from now Ducati will be patting themselves on the back for luring him away from Yamaha as he'll be back to winning races and challenging for the title...probably still be losing to Marquez though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think a big part of the problem will be that all the contenders will have their moments, taking points from each other, and MM will be the only consistent one on the podium. Here's a list of races left and last year's winners:

Silverstone: Vinales
    Misano: Pedrosa
    Aragon: Marquez
    Motegi: Marquez
    Philip Island: Crutchlow
    Malaysia: Dovi
    Valencia: Lorenzo

I think you have a strong case for Marquez winning a few of those, as either he or another Honda rider won last year.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Silverstone and Valencia are where I suspect dovi/ maverick/Rossi to have their best shot. The rest them I suspect will be won by either Marquez or Pedrosa.