Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasty fails: anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Nasty fails: anyone else?

Today I had a bit of a weird fail. Not behind, not in front, but right on top of me.
    The video might have been more interesting if the blocks weren't there, but I'm glad they were.

Anyone else escaped an injury / got an injury because of a similar fail?

Post Thanks / Like
    Guillotine myself with a weight that I could almost hang power snatch? No. Either I do a lot of btn work, my elbow lockout is solid, or I'm too much of a puss to get under heavy weight. Usually I see this with lifters who haven't developed the upper back strength to catch up to what the rest of them are capable of. That or the lifter just did an overhead heavy Crossfit WOD and thought snatches afterwards was a great idea. However, I have watched a nationally competitive lifter just barely escape doing this same thing, and at that point he had been lifting for several years. I suppose it could be a one-off thing that can happen if your head's(or neck) not in the right place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dropped 112 on my head, got sandwiched. At a meet

Lawn chaired rather.

Last edited by ryanwtyler; 06-06-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    always look up
    always

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jockomoron View Post
    1) Guillotine myself with a weight that I could almost hang power snatch? No.
    2) Either I do a lot of btn work, my elbow lockout is solid, or I'm too much of a puss to get under heavy weight.
    3) Usually I see this with lifters who haven't developed the upper back strength to catch up to what the rest of them are capable of.
    1) I laughed
    2) I have some shoulder stability issues (injuries) and 'general weakness' because I hate overhead. Also, I can't really lock my elbows, especially my right elbow is problematic. This makes holding weight overhead quite challenging.
    3) probably the case, yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this with 150 at a Nationals. It happened so fast, seemed like I lost a sense of positioning once the thing went overhead. I don't think it was locked out, though I really have no idea. Started the pull and the next thing I knew my face was on the platform and be bar was bouncing away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
    always look up phen24 and always look up!
    Good advice.
    Last edited by Turvey; 01-02-2018 at 03:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next training cycle, overhead strength and stability focus. Shoulders/upper back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
    always look up
    always
    Really? I always look forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had the pleasure, ever. I've rolled one off my upper back and had one hit me on my lower back and roll off though it's super rare for me to lose a lift behind. Both times I also moved a bit forward so they slid off. Weights were high 80s while weighing 77-82 (chubby hobbit).

As in maybe less than the number of digits on one hand in 5+ years.