Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weightlifters who died young

Post Thanks / Like
    Ze'ev Friedman (1944 - 1972, ISR), Yossef Romano (1940 - 1972, ISR) and David Mark Berger (1944 - 1972, ISR) were all murdered in the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre.

Last edited by Igorek; 07-06-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy shit that jew-fro, mutton chop combo is really something lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Really surprised at the high number of auto-accidents here, honestly expected a lot more heart condition and kidney issues than anything.

I'll say that sometimes on here and reddit... erpel tends to catch some flak/heat for things he posts. I'd like to extend kind of a thank you (not to get fanboyish or anything like that) for some of the content you post and discussions you help drive.

In my eyes, WL is an interesting sport that has this large cult following of people who really appreciate the sport and the other strength sports. Yet looking around on the internet you find a lot of old/defunct forums and it feels like a lot of the "history" of the sport is just...lost, or at least not as available. Folks at Ironmind, Schmitz, Coffee, and probably hundreds of foreign coaches and appreciators of the sport probably have a trove of old VHS recordings, photos, books, etc. that are sitting in a basement somewhere.... true history of the sport that will undoubtedly get thrown out when they pass or just lost to time.

Meanwhile you go look at basketball or any other MAJOR international sport and you can find exact winners, losers, circumstances, raw footage of every single match/game played in any single tournament for any year and inconsequential date.

Thanks erpel for trying to provide some interesting info that can get saved. But also, most importantly, big thanks to Tony for these forums - it's been a big boon IMO to the discussion of WL online. The LSUS thread alone gets plenty of views and is a great resource for lifters. The same with your book reviews and posting Mr. Weightlifting in PDF, etc. I feel like there's a lot of good content out there but with WL it has to all get pieced together and it's nice to try and have some resources like this that people pool together on with interesting content or discussions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ismail Elmkhah, IRN
    Olympic medalist
    51 (1936-1988)
    Heart attack

---

Jerzy Kaczkowski, POL
    World medalist
    50 (1938-1988)
    unknown

---

Jan Wojnowski, POL
    World medalist
    43 (1946-1990)
    unknown

---

Chua Phung Kim, SIN
    Asian Games medalist and CWG champion
    51 (1949-1990)
    unknown

---

Oleg Karayanidi, URS
    European champion
    32 (1957-1989)
    Car accident

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you people forgetting how unsafe cars were before standard safety features? There's no correlation with weightlifters, just A LOT of people would die or get maimed in car accidents in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even today, riding in a car is statistically the most dangerous thing you do on any given day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of weightlifters and health (or lack of it): did you guys see the video of Mangold that Catalyst put up on their Instagram a few days back? Folks were speculating that she's over 200kg now, looking at the video, I wouldn't be surprised...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, this is bad. Real bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I THINK we're over the intense Mangold speculation and theorizing of the past but fuck, like... i really want Holly to turn her life around and get rid of her enablers that allow her to abuse her body.

Post Thanks / Like
    More recently, Corey Wilkes who was an alternate for the 2000 Sydney Olympics and living at the OTC at the time of his death. Motorcycle accident.