Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: World's Strongest Man Needs an Overhaul

Post Thanks / Like

World's Strongest Man Needs an Overhaul

Anyone else feel this way? It seems they've really gotten away from the things that made it so awesome in the first place. They are lacking originality and creativity in the events. Of course going to the same location two years in a row is kind of a bore, and the points scoring system is out of wack. Their new tie breaker for the prelims is stupid. There's no way someone who's already lifted a stone 5-10x is going to beat someone coming in fresh.

And last, but certainly not least, you can't have a two month airing delay in 2017. Everyone knew the winner seconds after it was decided, yet we have to wait 8 weeks to watch it.

They need a better system.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I binge-watched the 2017 qualifiers and finals this weekend. You would think after 40 years, they would come up with a different packaging. They pay some homage to the old days of the competition, but I would like to see some side-by-side comparisons to some of the weights/reps achieved between eras with the standard events. The eye-candy introducing the events and interviews was a nice change. That said, I think Martin Licis is a pretty impressive athlete...pound for pound probably the strongest in the line up...I like his swagger and bravado but at least he's not over the top with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I was watching them as they aired, then realized they were incredibly spread out, so I will binge soon now that they're all released (I think).

Maybe they should make it a "season?" And show them live? I don't know. What do you guys think?

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    Yeah I was watching them as they aired, then realized they were incredibly spread out, so I will binge soon now that they're all released (I think).

Maybe they should make it a "season?" And show them live? I don't know. What do you guys think?
    Personally, I would love it if they a "season" and showed them live. Would make it much interesting!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Live strongman is kinda boring IMO. Too much time between events. The events themselves are great but there's a lot of waiting around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deeby View Post
    Live strongman is kinda boring IMO. Too much time between events. The events themselves are great but there's a lot of waiting around.
    It would probably take some organizational wizardry, but if can be done. It's all about running multiple heats back to back.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't reallly have an opinion on whether it should be a season or not...might be difficult given all the different Feds and lower level qualifying events to compete in the big leagues. That said, I was in Reno this week for a conference and worked out with my son at American Iron Gym. I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Travis Ortmayer for a few minutes which was pretty cool. We talked about the difficulty of staying healthy in professional strongman. He hasn't competed in five years but is looking to make a comeback in America's Strongest Man coming up. Funny....I'm a good sized guy (6'3, 230) but I felt like a little girl next to this guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, they big.

Friend me on Facebook