Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim The Third's Log

Post Thanks / Like
    Working on the snatch

Day 4 - Week 3

Putting in my work with my snatch. I had tough work at the same weight as before. Lifting went pretty well this day. Hang snatches could have went a bit better. I need to do better with waiting longer on my snatches and extending better. It's a process, and I'm just trying to get a little better each day if I can.

3/29/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 5 — Week 3 — Strength Cycle 2

On this max out day, I had some good moments. I was generally happy with how my mechanics felt on both my snatches and my clean/jerks. A big negative is the increasing bicep tendonitis. It is slowly impacting what I’m doing. My legs are doing relatively well, but my bicep is starting to be a bit nagging. I think I will be able to finish out the 5 week cycle before I have my deload, but if it gets worse, then I will limit my pressing as I finish up.

Starting out with snatches, my shoulders being fatigued and weak limited the weight that I was able to get. I took two tries at 225 lbs and missed them both. I think I am close to being able to get this weight on a consistent basis. My early extension is big factor limiting me from hitting this weight on a consistent basis. As my form improves and my technique makes improvements, I should be able to hit some bigger and bigger weights. My biceps didn’t bother me particularly on this day to where it limited me in anything, but my shoulders did feel weak when I was catching the snatches.

Clean and jerks went pretty well. My best single I hit was 290 lbs. I tried 300 lbs, but I didn’t have enough strength in me to do it. It’s nice be trying this kind of weight on a consistent basis. I want my jerk to improve and I need to get stronger for it to happen. I also need to continue hammering my form on them to improve more from where they are now.

After doing the maxes, I did deadlifts. Deadlifts went really well. One thing I want to work on for my deadlifts and all my pulling is getting my back tight before I start pulling. I think this will protect my back a bit more and put myself in a better position. I notice when I get my back tight before I start pulling my deadlifts look a bit easier. Pulls are a strength for me, but there are still things I can do make them go better.

After doing my deadlifts, I did a bunch of other pressing work because I was annoyed with how my shoulders felt when I was doing snatches. I think some of the movements will be beneficial to do and to have added in. But I think I did a bit too much, which probably contributed to my bicep being a bit achy.

Overall, it was a pretty productive workout besides for me doing a bit too much at the end. I hope to be smarter next week and to continually improve my form on my various lifts.

https://medium.com/@thejimthethird/d...2-22ad2aa812d0

Post Thanks / Like
    Max out day and lots of extra pressing work | Commentary

Day 5 - Week 3
    3/30/18

In this max workout, I hit some decent lifts. I was frustrated with my lack of shoulder strength and let that frustration get the best of me. Despite that, I had a pretty good workout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 1 — Week 4 — Strength Cycle 2

I started out my fourth week of training on a good note. My back squats went really well. I livestreamed the squats, so I didn’t listen to music while I did them. I will keep on adding weight for next week as I continue to get my legs stronger. I forgot to record my 4th set of squats, but they are on the livestream, so I truly did 5 sets of 5 reps.

After doing squats, I did clean pulls from the ground. Last week I did these from a deficit, but I decided to do these from the floor like normal today. The pulls felt good. My focus when doing these were to get my back tight before I started pulling. I think I did well at it. I was trying to get the bar above my belly button on each rep, but I wasn’t able to do so on every rep. Because of that, I will be staying at this weight for this exercise next week.

I have reached a plateau on push presses. I had 205 lbs for my 5 sets of 5 today, but I was only able to do sets of 3 reps this week. My biceps started to get achy after these, so my arm may have played a bit a factor on these. Despite me not doing sets of 5 like I was hoping to do, I was happy to get this weight for the reps I did.

The last exercise I did was some work overhead. I’m sure there is an official name for this exercise, but I don’t know what it is at this time. I wanted to add these in to work on my overhead stability and strength. I think this exercise will be a good thing for me to add in to work on building that strength and also on working on being able to catch my jerk a little bit lower. I did these on this day to feel out the exercise and the set up for it, and I was happy with how they felt.

I had a pretty good start to the fourth week of training.

Video of training:

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 2 - Week 4 - Strength Cycle 2

I started out this workout with a good idea, but I took it too far and it ended up getting myself a bit more beat up than I wanted to be. Instead of doing muscle snatches, I decided to do some snatch work. Snatches felt pretty good, so I kept on adding weight. I was working on form and when I got up to 220 lbs, I had already had a miss and was frustrated with form. I kept extending early, which cause me to miss reps I should have made. I ended up missing 220 lbs 4 times. On my last rep, I was happy with how the form felt, but when I caught it, my shoulders felt week. My biceps didn’t like me doing all the snatch work and were flared up a little bit after doing this.

Thankfully, I ended my workout well. I decided to do the cleans and the jerks separate and they all went really well. I don’t have too much to talk about with either my cleans or the jerks. I was happy with my work with both of these movements.

Despite all the work I did with snatches, I didn’t feel too tired from the workout. My biceps was just achy.

Post Thanks / Like
    My goals and plans for my next blocks of training

As I move forward in 2018, I'm reaching the end of the strength cycle I have gone through twice. My results have seemingly been really good for the goals I have set out. Mostly relating to improving my leg strength, but secondary goals with some pressing and pulling movements also went well.

I have one more week of training on my current program before I deload. After I deload, I will be starting a preparatory cycle of training to get ready for a competition I’m going to do in the middle of May. During this block of training, the first goal is to decay fatigue by the end of the progression in order to put myself in a position to perform well at my competition. I would like to open where I ended my last competition, which would be I would open at 220 lbs and 290 lbs for the snatch and clean/jerk respectively. I think this is possible, but I’m open to decreasing those numbers as I go through my preparation phase of training. The overall goal is to improve my competition total by the most amount possible. I would also like to hit some lifetime PRs at the competition if possible as well.

Once I get through the competition, I plan on doing a strength training block again, but this one will be set up different. I have some more planning to do with the progression, but a lot of it will be similar to the previous one I did before. The changes I want to make is to work on building strength in my snatch balance and do more pressing behind the neck with a snatch grip in general. I want to continue to do the squatting I did before since that is going well. I want to continue to use the last day of training a week to do heavy singles. My personality is much more biased to doing training and submax work. For someone like me working on hitting heavy singles is useful to build the skill of doing heavy singles and to develop the mindset needed to do weights like that.

Another change I plan on making is to train 6 days a week. I’m not going to be doing too much more volume or intensity as before, but I will be spreading some of it out a little bit more. Instead of doing pulling work on the first and third day, I will push them back to the second and fourth day of training. As I move between weeks of training I plan on flipping Days 1+2 with 3+4. Which means the amount of work will be the same, but the way I do it will change.

The last adjustment I’m making is to make the day before I max, Day 5, to be a day where I don’t do a lot of volume and do more technique work to prepare for the next day. I’m not sure if this will have a positive effect of not, but I think it could be beneficial to do some work on technique during the week.

So below is the general plan on the week. I’m still working on this, so there are some changes that could happen. These exercises are not necessarily in order I want complete them in.

Day 1

Snatch+Hang Snatch — 85%-90% 2x1+1
    Snatch balance — to a max then 80% — 2x3
    Back squats — 5x5 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Push presses — 5x5 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Day 2

Snatch pull — 5x3 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Pendlay rows — 5x5 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Dips or other tricep work
    Face pulls
    Day 3

Front squats — 4x5 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Jerk — to a max then 80% 2x2
    OHP — 5x5 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Clean+Hang clean — 85%-90% — 2x1+1
    Day 4

Clean pulls — 5x3 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Rear delt flies — 3x8
    Abs
    Cardio
    Day 5

Technique work with snatch and clean/jerk
    Day 6

Snatch — to a max
    Clean/jerk — to a max
    Clean deadlift/deadlift — 3x2+2 (deadstop+touch and go)
    Close grip bench press — 5x5 — Previous weight used or close to it
    Abs
    Day 7

Off
    Week 2

Flip — Day 1+2 with Day 3+4
    Day 5+6 with stay the same
    4 total weeks and then a deload

-Same week on deload with lighter weights.

https://medium.com/@thejimthethird/m...g-2b3666c3359f
    Last edited by JimTheThird; 04-07-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird front squats - Day 3 - Week 4

Day 3 of the week means I start with front squats. I had a very weird start to them. I wanted to have my grip be the same as it was when I do cleans, which is a little wider than I would normally have it on a front squat. Because of that, the bar slipped on my 5th reps and the bar fell off on my first wet. Since the bar did that, I moved my hands in, which allowed me to get a better grip on them. I had a total of 4 sets of 5 reps to do. To make up for only doing 4 reps on my first set, I did 6 reps on my last set. It was exciting to get over 300 lbs for front squats on this program. I hope to keep building upon this and getting my quads stronger and stronger.

After front squatting, I had snatch pulls. I did these from the ground like I did the clean pulls from earlier this week from the ground. I went up from when I did these from a deficit. I was working on what I as struggling with my snatches on the previous day. That was waiting to extend. I think I did a good job of this on these pulls. They are were tough. They didn’t all go above my belly button, so I will be staying at this weight next week.

I was feeling my biceps at this point. When I had my failed rep on the squats, it put a lot of pressure on my achy biceps, so I was not expecting a lot with my jerks. I was focusing on my making my form be as crisp as I could. I failed two weights. 265 lbs and 275 lbs. I jumped back a little on the 265 lbs rep, but I caught the 275 lbs rep well. My arms just felt unstable and weak, so I let the weight go. My biceps was achy and made my arm unstable when doing jerks.

It's kind of annoying how my arm is limiting me a bit right now. I will be taking some ibuprofen and being more conservative with the work I do with it. I was able to do my OHP after my jerk work with any irritation in my arm. Deloading will be very good for me to do to get my body right before I move onto my next phase of training to prepare for my competition. I have had this ache before in my arm when I have done too much pressing, and it has always gone away with rest. I don’t have any reason to think it won’t go away this time if I’m smart and give myself enough rest on my deload.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoulders are slowly growing

4/5/18 - Week 4

What do you all think about the way I edited this video? I didn't do commentary with it because I wanted the focus to be on the editing. I did more sets than what is shown. is this a sufficient amount of my workout to show if I provided a commentary to go with it?

I'm also considering doing more of a VLog style video where I include more clips of me lifting in the gym. It may be more in the summer where I play around this more. I have ideas around this and some different ideas with some videos I can make for the summer that are structured a bit different.

Post Thanks / Like
    A different kind of video | Workout VLog

4/11/18 - Day 3 - Week 5

I skipped a couple of days from my videos to bring you all this video. What do you think about this kind of video instead of the usual videos with a commentary over it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Last max out day before the deload

4/11/18 - Day 5 - Week 5

Now we deload! I don't think I will do the competition in May, so that I can have a training cycle focused on pushing up my olympic lifts and to also test my squats to see where they are at.