Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim The Third's Log

Post Thanks / Like

Workout Review about workouts on 8/6/17 and 8/7/17 | VLog

In this video I talk about my last two workouts and some thoughts I had about them. I will be using Anchor.fm for my next video that is in a similar format.

315 lbs / 143 kgs - Pause squat

I did this after doing some sled pushes. I was happy I was able to maintain my form. 8/10/17

Peace

Post Thanks / Like

Clean PR

The first video is from the workout where I set a new snatch PR along with the other lifting that I did that day.

The video below is of my new clean PR that I did today. I missed 300 lbs after this attempt. I started my pull too early and still have to work on waiting more and pulling myself under the bar faster.

285 lbs | 129 kgs Clean PR

My workout today went well. I was also able to hit an overhead squat PR at the beginning of my workout. I felt good with the front squat + jerks that I did today as well. My jerks felt really good today. A positive day for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Doing weighted dips, pull ups and sled pushing

8/9/17

This workout was after my heavy single day. It went well. Hitting the gym today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Overhead Squat and Clean PR | Jerks feeling good

These are the clips from my first workout of the week. I was very happy with how everything moved. I made some adjustments with my stance on the jerk and it felt better today. I'm still a long way away from figuring the movements to the level I would like to, so there is more progress to be had there. I'm also very happy about being able to hit a new best with the clean. There are things that I see and feel that I need to work on, but that just helps give me direction within my training structure and exercise selection.

I want to keep pushing myself to make progress while I still. I'm aware that eventually the constant PRs will stop, and when they do, I will be able to structure my program differently and better with those maxes. I don't know when that time will come, but it will come and when it comes then the hard work will come in. In the past I had a "problem" of not wanting to max very often, which, to me, makes sense to not want to with the powerlifting focused training like I had done in the past. I don't think it makes as much sense when training with the weightlifting movements since it is possible to work with very high percentages because there is not "grind" in the lift, so the recovery is much faster. I am finding that pushing the weight I use has benefited me so far, which makes sense since i'm still getting newbie gains. But I think I have also improved in looking more at how the weight moved in not speed quality, but form quality and making adjustments when it breaks down, in terms of lifts like the squat.

I also have loved the side effect of my benching going up. My shoulders have always been a weak aspect of me and has limited my bench. Getting those stronger, has allowed me to make tons of progress on my bench. I hope I'm still able to continue to progress that lift with only doing it once a week. I have a feeling, it probably will, especially if I do additional work with things like dips. As I move forward, I will be curious to see how my pulling changes. I have generally been week off the floor, but strong once I break it off there. I think this is a function of my quads lacking, so as those get stronger, my deadlift my improve off the floor. I don't plan on pulling in anything other than my oly shoes for the time being, so that will affect the maximal attempts I will be able to do with that movements. I would like to be able to pull 600 lbs without a belt and in weightlifting shoes at some point. As far as I remember, my best pull with oly shoes and no belt is 545 lbs. I more recently did 525 lbs off a deficit, so I'm guessing my max is comfortably above 545 lbs. I would estimate it to be around 570 lbs. At least a max that I feel like I could for sure do.

Post Thanks / Like
    405 lbs / 184 kgs Squat Single

Not a PR but 98% of my max (415 lbs) and it felt really good. I'm also very happy with how my form held up. Squat focused day went really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    OHP new best, and first time doing deficit snatch pulls

A had a really positive day and have been continuing my positive streak of gym visits. My bad is starting to get a bit achy, so I may have to take an extra day off next week, but we'll see. I may not take time off entirely, but adjust some of my exercise selections to allow achy parts of my body to start to heal and then push the parts the feel fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Muscle snatch rep PR and 405 lbs / 184 kgs squat

In this video, I do a muscle snatch PR. My previous best for 1 rep in this exercise was 145 lbs and I was able to do this for 3 reps in this workout. I was also able to do a 405 lbs squat with my form being able to maintain. Workouts are continuing to go well. I may have to change things up next week to give myself a bit of a break.

Post Thanks / Like
    240 lbs |109 kgs front squat and jerk

I sprained my ankle failing a 275 lbs clean and jerk 2 days ago. I'm glad I was able to get back to it today and do some positive things with my workout. I'll talk about the injury more in tomorrow's video. I only had to miss one workout and ended up not really being affected by my sprain. Thankfully my stupidity didn't cost me much more than that.

My workout videos where I show all my clips will usually be a day or two after my workout. When I share a lifting clip like this, it is most likely from that day's workout. So keep that timeline in mind if things seem weird or really jumbled together.

Post Thanks / Like
    225 lbs / 102 kgs Push Press PR

So this PR was pretty unexpected, but I did some push presses, and they were moving really well today for no reason, so I pushed the weight. My form was really clicking today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Snatch Balance PR workout with deficit pulls and jerks

This workout was a big one to have as I got back to normal after my ankle being sprained. My ankle sprain was on 8-15-17 and this workout was on 8-17-17, so I was able to get back to normal pretty quick. I was extremely happy with my snatch balances and how well they went and with the form on my jerk. Everything moved well this day.