Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing feet in after the clean before jerk?

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing feet in after the clean before jerk?

I have aways wondered about this. I see a lot of american lifters stand up a heavy clean, then jerk from that same wider stance. A lot of international lifters such as klokov and Ilya just to name a few always readjust the width of their stance by taking a step in after the clean to narrow their stance before the jerk? Im assuming this is correct. Im just wondering if it is important enough to work on because i notice when standing up a heavy clean its hard to even take that step in to readjust my stance. Would I have more power in the dip and drive by doing so?

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people don't readjust between.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Most slide the feet out between the pull and the squat. Around shoulder width ideal for the jerk.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your feet are in the proper place that you normally jerk from - then don't move them.

If your feet are not in the proper place that you normally jerk from - then move them.

Post Thanks / Like
    that's kind of the question....... whats the proper position? narrower than squat stance or the same? that was the whole point of the question; asking which was a more powerful position to jerk from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pufatr01 View Post
    that's kind of the question....... whats the proper position? narrower than squat stance or the same? that was the whole point of the question; asking which was a more powerful position to jerk from?
    Years ago, I read a research paper on the best positions, biomechanically, for the pull, the squat, and drive in the jerk. The analysis came up with a shoulder width stance with the toes pointed out slightly. Obviously, there is such a thing as too wide or too narrow. Too narrow detracts from stability and balance. Too wide would detract from power. It makes sense that you would have the most power with the legs perpendicular to the platform.

Most, if they move their feet at all in the clean, move them out so they can get into a lower squat position. In that case, you would move them in a bit after standing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for the response Mike, that helps a lot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Never actually thought of this topic. When I stand up from my clean I pop the bar up to readjust for the jerk, looking back at my videos, my feet come in at the same time to a more narrow stance
    charge a needle through the eye of a punching rhino - Donny Shankle

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think most lifters would benefit from having the feet "under the hips." When people jerk from a wider position it just doesn't look powerful to me.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cal Strength seems to prefer rather Spitz does of the wider foot stance for the Jerk.

Supposedly to mitigate traveling forward in the dip with the knees.

Hell most Americans let the knees travel forward in the dip. And Im talking about our best lifters, not the backend of the A sesh or below.

I don't like it.