Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EAV Barbell Club Bans Police Officers and Military Personnel

Post Thanks / Like

EAV Barbell Club Bans Police Officers and Military Personnel

Anyone familiar wtih this gym? Seems a bit radical.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-ban-on-cops/

Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim is the grandson of Anne cox chambers, the 28th richest person in the country. The whole family is liberal. Jim is extremely liberal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    Jim is extremely liberal.
    Wouldn't have known

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    According to Google, she is worth 16.1 Billion

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. I have friends that go there, and they are having to defend themselves online because they are being attacked and slandered under the "guilty by association" pretense. People are losing their shit over this, death threats and other horrible speech directed at innocent members over Jims' political stance.

Two do not plan on returning, and another is a coach but I'm not sure what her outcome will be.

This is a huge embarrassment to Atlanta weightlifting. Other barbell clubs in the area are receiving threats because people are associating them with EAV (because people are stupid)

My thoughts are, yes.. Jim reserves the right to serve or not serve whomever at his place of business. However, he is also jeopardizing the safety of other members at this point. It has blown incredibly out of proportion, and he continues to troll adding fuel to the fire.
    Last edited by shellytrue; 08-10-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: edit: spelling error/ typo

Post Thanks / Like
    I support this. Private gym, not a publicly traded company, go ahead and admit whomever you want. other business "discriminate" based on class i.e. Jacket Required restaurants, etc. also, fuck 99% of cops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shellytrue View Post
    Yep. I have friends that go there, and they are having to defend themselves online because they are being attacked and slandered under the "guilty by association" pretense. People are losing their shit over this, death threats and other horrible speech directed at innocent members over Jims' political stance.

Two do not plan on returning, and another is a coach but I'm not sure what her outcome will be.

This is a huge embarrassment to Atlanta weightlifting. Other barbell clubs in the area are receiving threats because people are associating them with EAV (because people are stupid)

My thoughts are, yes.. Jim reserves the right to serve or not serve whomever at his place of business. However, he is also jeopardizing the safety of other members at this point. It has blown incredibly out of proportion, and he continues to troll adding fuel to the fire.
    Wow that's really too bad. I'm in agreement that he should be able to run his business in any manner he chooses, but it sucks that he's doing it in such a flamboyant way. What's also sad is that people feel the need to make death threats. If you don't like a business and their ethics, boycott them, boycott them publically. Vote with your dollars. That's what capitalism is form. Threatening violence is...well it's facsism.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmoutain View Post
    I support this. Private gym, not a publicly traded company, go ahead and admit whomever you want. other business "discriminate" based on class i.e. Jacket Required restaurants, etc. also, fuck 99% of cops.
    Eh, the problem is not police, imo. It's a system that excuses cops when they break the law. Same thing with military. I don't agree with a large number of current and past military engagements, but I don't begrudge those who want to serve their country.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post

Eh, the problem is not police, imo. It's a system that excuses cops when they break the law. Same thing with military. I don't agree with a large number of current and past military engagements, but I don't begrudge those who want to serve their country.
    Very fair point, one of my best friends from growing up is a cop in seattle now, he's not a bad cop, but he works in a bad system. some people do not want to associate with anyone who stays within a bad system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmoutain View Post
    some people do not want to associate with anyone who stays within a bad system.
    Yup. Can't really fault people either. I think that's one problem is you have good cops sticking up for the bad ones sometimes, no matter the circumstances. If they just said "you know what, that guy fucked up, and shouldn't be a cop" I think people would have more respect for the police.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...76105279356846

edit: USAW has suspended club membership pending ethics investigation. I had originally said that USAW had revoked club membership.
    Last edited by ryanwtyler; 08-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.