Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Eleiko v. Uesaka Training bars

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    Quick update: My new Uesaka bar came yesterday, and I'll be lifting on it this afternoon. However, I noticed after removing it from the packaging that the sleeves don't rotate very well. There's no sticking points or anything, just that it's somewhat difficult to spin the bar. Is this normal for a dry Teflon system?? Will it loosen up over time as I start to use it??

    It looks and feel awesome by the way!! I really like the plating on the bar and the knurling is exactly what I was looking for!!
    Uesaka is advertised as "zero maintenance" but if you talk to some sales reps (Joe Hamblen on ig and Uesaka Barbell Australia has a fb vid on lubricating the bar) there's actually some periodic lubrication that makes a huge difference. LPS-2 is the "official" recommended lubricant, it's a very thin lubricant that you spray into the sleeves, only a small amount is needed. My comp Uesaka from '12 didn't rotate freely but after using the LPS-2 once about a year ago I haven't had to apply anymore/do anything else with it to keep it butter smooth. You can get it off Amazon, I think it might be $20-30 for a bottle.

    Theoretically I bet you could use any lubricant or 4-in-1 oil, but I used 4-in-1 on an Uesaka training bar (before I knew about the LPS-2 recommendation) and while it's perfectly fine, the comp bar (which I have only used LPS-2 in) spins better.

    Joe also mentioned that he sometimes blows air duster into the sleeves to remove any extra dirt/chalk every now and then, and he's immensely knowledgeable/meticulous, I bet he would not mind giving any info he might have about using a new bar.

  2. #22
    Member Bulldog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milkbeforecereal View Post
    Uesaka is advertised as "zero maintenance" but if you talk to some sales reps (Joe Hamblen on ig and Uesaka Barbell Australia has a fb vid on lubricating the bar) there's actually some periodic lubrication that makes a huge difference. LPS-2 is the "official" recommended lubricant, it's a very thin lubricant that you spray into the sleeves, only a small amount is needed. My comp Uesaka from '12 didn't rotate freely but after using the LPS-2 once about a year ago I haven't had to apply anymore/do anything else with it to keep it butter smooth. You can get it off Amazon, I think it might be $20-30 for a bottle.

    Theoretically I bet you could use any lubricant or 4-in-1 oil, but I used 4-in-1 on an Uesaka training bar (before I knew about the LPS-2 recommendation) and while it's perfectly fine, the comp bar (which I have only used LPS-2 in) spins better.

    Joe also mentioned that he sometimes blows air duster into the sleeves to remove any extra dirt/chalk every now and then, and he's immensely knowledgeable/meticulous, I bet he would not mind giving any info he might have about using a new bar.
    Awesome!!! Thanks so much for this. I'll lift on it tonight and see how it goes. If needed, I'll pickup the LPS-2 and give it a quick spray. I don't have IG, is there anyway to contact him otherwise?

    I've had my ZKC bar for 15+ yrs and performed no maintenance on it other than cleaning the shaft every so often. That's what I wanted in a high-end bar like Uesaka, so hopefully that will work.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    Awesome!!! Thanks so much for this. I'll lift on it tonight and see how it goes. If needed, I'll pickup the LPS-2 and give it a quick spray. I don't have IG, is there anyway to contact him otherwise?

    I've had my ZKC bar for 15+ yrs and performed no maintenance on it other than cleaning the shaft every so often. That's what I wanted in a high-end bar like Uesaka, so hopefully that will work.
    uesaka.joe@gmail.com is his email.

    I've got a Sport Training Eleiko which is great but Uesaka is my favorite by far. Predictable, smooth spin, tight whip, and like you said, the knurling is perfect. I have their collars, too, simple design, indestructible.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you stand the bar on its sleeve and give it a spin, with or without lubricant, I guarantee it spins more freely than any other barbell. I think the LPS is only useful for a used bar that was abused like the 22 year old one I bought from the OTC or if you just want it to look like it spins more freely when placed horizontally.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    Quick update: My new Uesaka bar came yesterday, and I'll be lifting on it this afternoon. However, I noticed after removing it from the packaging that the sleeves don't rotate very well. There's no sticking points or anything, just that it's somewhat difficult to spin the bar.
    This was my exact experience as well. It actually freaked me out at first, haha. If it makes you feel better, adding LPS-2 freed up the spin of my bar to a similar extent as this guy's:



    Regarding the LPS-2: I knew I wouldn't have the patience to wait a few extra days if ordered online, so I instead used their website to find a dealer near me: http://www.lpslabs.com/find-a-distributor
    Last edited by Ewen_McShawn; 09-12-2017 at 05:47 PM.

  6. #26
    Member Bulldog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewen_McShawn View Post
    This was my exact experience as well. It actually freaked me out at first, haha. If it makes you feel better, adding LPS-2 freed up the spin of my bar to a similar extent as this guy's:



    Regarding the LPS-2: I knew I wouldn't have the patience to wait a few extra days if ordered online, so I instead used their website to find a dealer near me: http://www.lpslabs.com/find-a-distributor
    After lifting on it tonight, I'll be picking up the LPS-2 from Grainger tomorrow and applying it. I felt a major difference in the turn-over of my snatches tonight.

    I physically have to grab the bar and forcefully rotate it. However, I really liked the knurling, but I'm going to have to get used to it over time, I think.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you be able to post pictures?

  8. #28
    Member Bulldog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RW01 View Post
    Would you be able to post pictures?
    Yes, I took some last night that I'll post up later.

  9. #29
    Member Goldendog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Posts
    569
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    Quick update: My new Uesaka bar came yesterday, and I'll be lifting on it this afternoon. However, I noticed after removing it from the packaging that the sleeves don't rotate very well. There's no sticking points or anything, just that it's somewhat difficult to spin the bar. Is this normal for a dry Teflon system?? Will it loosen up over time as I start to use it??

    It looks and feel awesome by the way!! I really like the plating on the bar and the knurling is exactly what I was looking for!!
    I was a tad underwhelmed when I first got my Uesaka. Trust me when I say, it will break in and be perfect. I hit mine with LPS-2 every few months and give it a good cleaning with denatured alcohol.

  10. #30
    Member Bulldog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendog View Post
    I was a tad underwhelmed when I first got my Uesaka. Trust me when I say, it will break in and be perfect. I hit mine with LPS-2 every few months and give it a good cleaning with denatured alcohol.
    This is good to know!! I'm going to get some LPS-2 this afternoon and hit each sleeve with just a bit to loosen it up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •