Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is bench press counter productive for oly lifting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post
    I never trained the bench, but my jerk was almost 15kgs beyond what I could clean. My son was the opposite, almost, 10kgs behind what he could clean. We tried everything to improve his jerk. Push jerk, push press, press, overhead supports in the power rack, jerk recoveries in the power rack, overload 1/4 squats, lockouts in the power rack, various rep schemes. Almost everything that is.

Speaking to some of the guys with big jerks revealed that most of them did bench presses. Keeping in mind Jeff could not bench press close to his snatch, maybe 100lbs less, as he did not train the bench. Once a week bench presses, 3s and 5s, and he got his single close to his snatch. Jerk took off and was pretty close to his clean. He related that the bar felt much lighter on his chest and he felt sturdier overhead.

If your jerk is your weak link, I'd consider giving the bench press a go.
    I suspect that the guys who are good jerkers and benchers are also the guys with the shorter arms. Why do they bench? Well because they are good at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    I suspect that the guys who are good jerkers and benchers are also the guys with the shorter arms. Why do they bench? Well because they are good at it.
    You think so? I wonder about that. Be interesting to know what most do now. Back in my day, no one did bench presses. It just was not felt they would help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bench press once a year, just because. Use push presses and snatch grip push presses throughout the year (which I think have some carryover to my lifts), and a little bit of strict pressing (which I don't think carries over much). I mostly do a little bit of strict pressing because I'm not good at it and want to be less awful at it, and also I think it might help keep my elbows feeling decent. My jerk has not been as consistent in the past year as it has been in the past, but I've never cleaned more than I've jerked, or vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say it depends on the athlete and how much you use it. If the athlete already has short pec minors, yes, it would be bad. If the athlete has no problem with the overhead position in the snatch, then benching can beneficial for jerk lockout. I've also been incorporating board pressing into my athlete's programs.
    Currently reading: ???

Just finished reading:Lift by Daniel Kunitzi

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its very important. Big chesticles are needed for the intimidation factor

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with a couple things put forward:
    1. If bench is significantly lower than snatch, it could be valuable.
    2. Emphasis should be triceps.

A few minutes of stretching afterwards would be good prevention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just snatch the next day

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post
    Just snatch the next day
    I am not 100% I follow the context of your recommendation, but.. have you ever tried a legit snatch workout following a heavy bench press day? 1 - sore / tight shoulders seem to really impact and slow down turnover of the bar. Lots of misses out front. 2 - I've noticed triceps cramping during a snatches at 100k+. Not a good feeling when you're sitting in the hole with you body weight over head.

I yield back to my earlier recommendation, bench press at the end of snatch day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewc64 View Post
    I am not 100% I follow the context of your recommendation, but.. have you ever tried a legit snatch workout following a heavy bench press day? 1 - sore / tight shoulders seem to really impact and slow down turnover of the bar. Lots of misses out front. 2 - I've noticed triceps cramping during a snatches at 100k+. Not a good feeling when you're sitting in the hole with you body weight over head.

I yield back to my earlier recommendation, bench press at the end of snatch day.
    Every Tuesday. (LSUS)

The best is the first week of 10's after you haven't done shit for volume for 6 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ehh snatching the day after upper work sucks. I didnt bench more than twice on LSUS before my shoulder hates it.

I hadn't done volume really in 4-5 months last year when I started LSUS in the summer. First week sucked hard.