Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Calling Yourself a National-Level Weightlifter When You’re Not'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jockomoron View Post
    What about people calling themselves weightlifting coaches? Any significant qualifications for that?
    I’ve been coaching weightlifting for the last couple years, produce pretty great progress in general, and stil don’t call myself a weightlifting coach *♂️*♂️*♂️

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jockomoron View Post
    What about people calling themselves weightlifting coaches? Any significant qualifications for that?
    I suppose technically, if you earn money for coaching services, you are a Weightlifting coach.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like some of you didn't read the article, specifically those wondering why anyone would waste time writing an article about how angry a person is that people are calling themselves national lifters.

The article is in fact a rebuttal against all those pointless angry facebook and social media post and is trying to preach for a more relaxed and less toxic position in our community which I think weightlifting needs a ton of. I love this sport but at times the community, because its so niche, can get incredibly overzealous and negative. While this negativity tends to stem from the vocal minority its who beginners have to deal with most of the time and instead of creating growth we get stagnation.

The only part of the article that "attacked" these national lifters was when he said as a community we should call out any participant or coach who is trying to sell themselves on laurels they didn't earn and in so doing cheats innocent people out of their money and time. While, as I know of it, this isn't a huge problem it doesn't hurt to mention it.

6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    I feel like some of you didn't read the article.

I believe people are referencing comments made on facebook attacking Matt for defending those who are calling themselves "national level lifters."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I believe people are referencing comments made on facebook attacking Matt for defending those who are calling themselves "national level lifters."
    Yes, most of the people are referencing the comments but I saw I think 2-3 post on here criticizing the article itself. I didn't feel call-outs directed at them would be beneficial for the discussion though. Especially since the main point I wanted to make was that this community can be toxic and it's nice for a large publication like Catalyst to call it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like some of you didn't read the article
    I read the article the day of and I think I commented on the Catalyst page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    You're competing against everyone in your class. If they bomb out, that's better for you. I've heard people say Figueroa wouldn't have won gold in Rio if the DPRK athlete had been there...but he wasn't there, so who really cares? You have to show up to win, and you have to make lifts to win. If I made my lifts, and you didn't, it doesn't really matter if your attempts were 50kg more than mine.
    I guess I do not see it that way. I understand that if you bomb and I don't it does not matter what your attempts were. However, if we are 50kg apart, nothing you do is going to impact what I do. I am not going to change my attempts, or choose weights based on what you may or may not do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post
    I guess I do not see it that way. I understand that if you bomb and I don't it does not matter what your attempts were. However, if we are 50kg apart, nothing you do is going to impact what I do. I am not going to change my attempts, or choose weights based on what you may or may not do.
    But, you're talking about other lifters impacting your strategy, not necessarily the entire weight class. I agree with FFF on this, no matter what session you're in, you're still competing against everyone else in the weight class. If someone doesn't show, they can't compete, so they don't matter. I've been to a couple of Master's Nationals and competed against very few people who decided to show up. I showed up and won, and that's all that matters to me, even if my total wasn't as high as other meets. I'm still champion THAT DAY for THAT COMP!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I showed up and won, and that's all that matters to me, even if my total wasn't as high as other meets. I'm still champion THAT DAY for THAT COMP!!
    A win is a win and at the end of the day is all that really matters concerning that. People bitch about that concerning the London 105's to this day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    I showed up and won, and that's all that matters to me, even if my total wasn't as high as other meets. I'm still champion THAT DAY for THAT COMP!!
    I think that comment explains our different perspective. I was happy only if I did the best I could. Sure, you want to win, but it was a hollow victory if I ended up 2/6. Winning is nice, but if I did not do my best, winning was not enough. I would rather go 6/6 with multiple PRs and not place. If I needed to take a few kilos more or less to go for a win or place, fine, but for the most part, I'm trying to get the most out of myself that day.

I suppose it's more like I am competing with myself. If I lift my best, and someone else shows up and lifts more, oh well, nothing I could do about that.