Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What is Weightlifting?

Post Thanks / Like

What is Weightlifting?

I wanted a short, simple resource to point people to when they inquire about the sport, so I put this article together. It came out bit longer than I wanted. Critiques welcome!

http://arkitectfitness.com/what-is-weightlifting/

Post Thanks / Like
    I always just try to explain by doing a split jerk motion to people. Only two people that ever really knew what Olympic lifting were to any real extent when I talked to them were an Iranian and Turk, though, with Reza and Naim. *shrug* Iranian called it "the real weightlifting" though, haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iranians love WL but they have a long cultural history of strength in their culture actually. LA has a big Iranian population and every once in awhile you'll see some big ass guy built like a train who used to be a WLer.

4. Likes celicaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is pretty good overall.

The first sentence kinda sucks. I would lead with weightlifting being a popular sport in many countries of the world, and having a large number of participants in the Olympics. Then move on to it's popularity in the States.

I also disagree with with short limbs/long torso being ideal. They are just easier to train due to being naturally quad dominant and learn to squat easily.
    Last edited by Matt Erdman; 10-12-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Toni,

the first paragraph is titled "what is weightlifting? yet there is no answer in the paragraph. Instead you write about the low number of participants. I get that you try
    express why you write this article in the first place, but if I didn't know anything about weightlifting I also wouldn't care about membership numbers.

In the second paragraph you give a short history of weightlifting yet we still don't know what weightlifting is today or why we should care.

Only then you start with the two movements in a fairly detailed description. Then going on with the competition mentioning the exact number of weight classes.

Then the question about what makes a good weightlifter. I find this part rather discouraging. Whom are you addressing? A general population or a potential youth athlete
    with prospects of going to the Games (Olympic, not Crossfit)?
    Weightlifting is not a complicated sport and can be done by everyone since you can choose the weight and also modify the execution of the lift. So if you can't do a full squat, do power version etc. And yes there is quite a bit of technique involved but it can be even learned by elderly people in contrast to Ballet or Gymnastics for instance.

Next paragraph about what makes weightlifting unique. Now all your points are not unique by any means. How about a sprinter, a shot putter, a decathlete, a marathone runner etc. All these are truly individual sports. And yes in fighting there is a corner, but still the guy has to deal with the opponent himself. Just like the lifter has a coach with him, but has to lift by himself.

General critique
    First of all I think the text is far too long, if it is addressing a person that doesn't know anything about the sport and is not already interested.
    Weightlifting is really a simple sport. The sport of lifting the most weight ove rhead. There are two disciplines. In the snatch the weight is lifted in one extremely fast motion.
    In the second the weight is first lifting up to the shoulders and then catapulted overhead which is why you can lift more weight.
    I would address more the feeling of holding somehting heavey over head and also about the theatrical aspect of weightlifting of standing on stage (platform) with the light shining on you. Why not describe the feelings a lifter goes through in this moment when he gets ready, gets on the platform, addresses the bar, focusses and then lifts the weight over head, perhaps struggles and finally gets the lift with a cheering crow? It is very exciting. And it feels powerful when you can lift a weight that seemed unfeasible at first. When you overcome your fear.
    I also always liked the point of a barbell being honest. The weight of 100 kg is always the same. It is only up to you.
    Then after you have given an incentive to try weightlifting why not write that basically everyone can participate, even in the same competition, which is different than many other sports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback Leon, I'll keep all of this in mind for the next one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is very difficult to write something for the clueless, when you are the expert. Overall, trying to look at it as though I knew nothing about weightlifting, I think I would come away with good basic awareness. Perhaps another sentence or two regarding powerlifting and bodybuilding so they might better understand the differences would be nice? I don't know. In discussing the sport with the uninformed, that seems to be a major hurdle to address.

I think there is a typo on the first modern Olympics. The first modern Olympics was in 1896.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post

I think there is a typo on the first modern Olympics. The first modern Olympics was in 1896.

Good eye. I transposed the last two digits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    It is pretty good overall.

The first sentence kinda sucks. I would lead with weightlifting being a popular sport in many countries of the world, and having a large number of participants in the Olympics. Then move on to it's popularity in the States.

There is a lot of contention about how popular Weightlifting really is in other countries though. My idea was that I didn't want to make the reader feel stupid for not knowing much if anything about Weightlifting, but also demonstrate how underappreciated the sport is.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post

I also disagree with with short limbs/long torso being ideal. They are just easier to train due to being naturally quad dominant and learn to squat easily.
    What would you say is ideal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    There is a lot of contention about how popular Weightlifting really is in other countries though. My idea was that I didn't want to make the reader feel stupid for not knowing much if anything about Weightlifting, but also demonstrate how underappreciated the sport is.
    I get that. It's just a very awkward start to an article for me. It just struck me as strange.

Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    What would you say is ideal?
    There is none. All leverages have an advantage at some point. A short back generally helps in the clean pull, which is heavier/slower and more strength-based. Long arms also provide good leverage in the pull. Long legs are a big advantage in the jerk, giving you more room to get under the bar. I really think body proportions are totally irrelevant in terms of maximum potential. Only pros and cons in different positions of the lifts.

As far as the article goes, I see no reason to plant a seed of doubt in a potential new lifter's mind.