Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 4 Week Experimental Program

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    How would this be modified without an ability to time a squat?
    I've been doing '1-second' (concentric) lifts for a while now. Trying to build my explosive power for a new direction in training. I use it on some other lifters too. I have a pretty mechanical mind when it comes to eyeballing, or timing stuff, and i find it pretty easy. We always have analog clocks handy too. I do tend to pause those lifts though, at the bottom, even if just long enough to break the reflex. You can also use video too. I have a second set ov 'PR's for these lifts, and if i judge it too slow, i dont count it. Its a 'missed' lift. I can note this in my log, because obviously anything i'm going to attempt to lift in one second or less i will never actually miss. Its a great confidence builder too, takes the 'fear' some people have right out ov the lift, as even though they know they might 'miss' the second (and the PR), they'll still know they will always get the lift back up.

One other strange note... when i switched from normal 'slow' (typically 1-1.5 seconds concentric for me, my 'grinders' are never more than 2 seconds), to this faster style, i noticed my injuries and tweaks started to go away. Despite the violence ov the speed, it seemed that time under tension, even if it was just one extra second, seemed to be doing more damage than anything else. To me at least, that seems counter-intuitive, but yet, there it is. No other changes were made. This has happened twice now, in two separate blocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    I've been doing '1-second' (concentric) lifts for a while now. Trying to build my explosive power for a new direction in training. I use it on some other lifters too. I have a pretty mechanical mind when it comes to eyeballing, or timing stuff, and i find it pretty easy. We always have analog clocks handy too. I do tend to pause those lifts though, at the bottom, even if just long enough to break the reflex. You can also use video too. I have a second set ov 'PR's for these lifts, and if i judge it too slow, i dont count it. Its a 'missed' lift. I can note this in my log, because obviously anything i'm going to attempt to lift in one second or less i will never actually miss. Its a great confidence builder too, takes the 'fear' some people have right out ov the lift, as even though they know they might 'miss' the second (and the PR), they'll still know they will always get the lift back up.

One other strange note... when i switched from normal 'slow' (typically 1-1.5 seconds concentric for me, my 'grinders' are never more than 2 seconds), to this faster style, i noticed my injuries and tweaks started to go away. Despite the violence ov the speed, it seemed that time under tension, even if it was just one extra second, seemed to be doing more damage than anything else. To me at least, that seems counter-intuitive, but yet, there it is. No other changes were made. This has happened twice now, in two separate blocks.
    How’s your tendinitis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkklllll View Post
    How’s your tendinitis?
    Haven't felt the knee in over a year, and even then (last Nov i think?) it was under a near-PR triple squat. I still wrap my patellar religiously though, with a little physio band. Not sure if it even helps at this point, or if i need it. The elbow? Comes and goes. I cant train arms much anymore, but luckily thats far from a weakness. I tweaked it again just recently, pressing out a little-too-low snatch, ov all things... My 4th snatch workout in a year and a half. Figures. I've since developed other issues. Got some weird glute thing thats stressing out my lower back and causing pain where there is nothing wrong. Haven't been able to pull since last November. Another fucking mystery that no one will be able to diagnose. Sometimes i just wish something big and important would just snap... and then there will be NO debating whats wrong... and maybe it could even get fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finished today, happy with the program but not happy with my performance. I feel I should've maxed out my snatch the week before because I was feeling it but today I just sucked. I hit my old snatch max but couldn't lock out anything heavier. Hit 3kg above my old CJ max and failed the jerk attempting a 7kg pr but I definitely had it in me. Lastly hit a 8kg pr on backsquat with the tempo.

I don't know what feedback you're looking for in particular about the program, anything you want to know specifically and I'll talk about it. I enjoyed how simplistic it was, I enjoy tempo squats, and I like programs that program one heavy-ish day a week because too many programs turn away and do pure volume. I 100% did not follow any perscribed rest breaks nor did I follow the accessories you planned as I already have an established accessory schedule that works for my injuries/body.

Overall I enjoyed the program and I'll be running it again starting next week. I will be making three changes: power jerks instead of BNJ(which I was already doing cause I cant do BNJ), instead of 2 hangs I'll do a power+hang because my extension needs work, and lastly I'll be doing front squats on the 5th day instead of backsquats because I want some moe front squat focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve just finished the first week, and like it so far. Has anyone else felt that this has been really heavy? It’s week 1 and I’m not sure how much heavier I’m going to be able to go, even if a few sets get dropped.

I’m tracking my progress in the training log below. I’ve included my personal manipulations in the first post. I also have been linking some video highlights of the sessions.

http://wlforums.com/forums/showthrea...2089#post62089

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz31 View Post
    I’ve just finished the first week, and like it so far. Has anyone else felt that this has been really heavy? It’s week 1 and I’m not sure how much heavier I’m going to be able to go, even if a few sets get dropped.

I’m tracking my progress in the training log below. I’ve included my personal manipulations in the first post. I also have been linking some video highlights of the sessions.

http://wlforums.com/forums/showthrea...2089#post62089
    Yeah if you went with "true" maxes this is gonna be a ballbusting program. It's definitely better with a few kilos dropped off each lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    [deleted]
    Last edited by Laurel Hubbard; 03-05-2018 at 02:35 AM.