Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: New weight classes thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Weightlifting is Catholicism. Powerlifting is Protestantism.

Take your pick on what Crossfit is, Mormonism or Scientology.
    More like Jehovas Witnesses. Everyone is smiling and want to introduce themselves at your first class.

2. Likes Hawkpeter, deeby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As someone who doesn't really follow the sport aspect of weightlifting (I learned it for the sports performance enhancement / S&C benefits) what is the stated reason for having 10 classes, but reducing for the Olympic games? Surely the people making this decision have to realize that the best of the best are just going to compete in the olympic classes right? Or am I mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the IOC reduced the number of participants as a way of punishing WL for it's number of positive drug tests in the Olympic retests. WL used to have 10 classes before they went to 8&7 when they brought women into the OlympicGames in 2000.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why they went back to 10 when they could have just taken 7 per gender, dropped the bottom and adjusted it and spread it out from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Weightlifting is Catholicism. Powerlifting is Protestantism.

Take your pick on what Crossfit is, Mormonism or Scientology.
    Westboro Baptsist. Definitely Westboro Baptist...

6. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone know how record standards for new weight classes have been set in the past. I know the 90 class standards were set by interpolation of data. I just don't know which data and how it was interpolated. I imagine it has to do with, at least, the records of the 75 and supers if not all the records. Probably did some sort of best fit curve to determine it. has anything ever been published on how IWF has done it in the past? just curious. thanks.

edit: found the 90 standards http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_W...dard.pdf?la=en
    Last edited by ryanwtyler; 07-09-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    does anyone know how record standards for new weight classes have been set in the past. I know the 90 class standards were set by interpolation of data. I just don't know which data and how it was interpolated. I imagine it has to do with, at least, the records of the 75 and supers if not all the records. Probably did some sort of best fit curve to determine it. has anything ever been published on how IWF has done it in the past? just curious. thanks.

edit: found the 90 standards http://www.teamusa.org/~/media/USA_W...dard.pdf?la=en
    Pretty sure they all just kinda sit around and ask each other 'So high high can we set these standard so that only people gassed out ov their fucking heads can break them?' They agree on a number, and then back off 1kg.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, they should just have doping classes, not weight classes. I guess that'd be more variables to keep track of, but you could define it down to some of the broader categories of shit right? Then just go nuts. See how much viewership retention you net from that.

Plus I feel that blokes like WADA should get some medals for catching people. Like maybe that could be a sport unto itself. Think of the possibilities of that, like on a field even.

But you know what I mean? The drug testers are the "bad guys" always, when do they ever get credit for anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondCrusader View Post
    In my opinion, they should just have doping classes, not weight classes. I guess that'd be more variables to keep track of, but you could define it down to some of the broader categories of shit right? Then just go nuts. See how much viewership retention you net from that.

Plus I feel that blokes like WADA should get some medals for catching people. Like maybe that could be a sport unto itself. Think of the possibilities of that, like on a field even.

But you know what I mean? The drug testers are the "bad guys" always, when do they ever get credit for anything?
    Hey... pay them on 'commission'... see how that works? Actual financial incentive to catch dopers? Ov course.... testing is already prohibitively expensive...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Hey... pay them on 'commission'... see how that works? Actual financial incentive to catch dopers? Ov course.... testing is already prohibitively expensive...
    Better yet provide a comission to those providing the intel that leads to a positive. I empathize with the officials trying to figure out who needs to be tested. If barbell sports provided good quality intel from those in the know who are in the sports themselves things would get cleaned up a lot faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PK33 View Post
    Better yet provide a comission to those providing the intel that leads to a positive. I empathize with the officials trying to figure out who needs to be tested. If barbell sports provided good quality intel from those in the know who are in the sports themselves things would get cleaned up a lot faster.
    Hahaha... a 'crimestoppers' hotline for doping? Hahahahah. I personally dont support rat culture, but i bet that would work. Then again, anyone who's going to rat is likely going to do it without the incentive anyways. Thats already been going on for a while, and its caught a few bad guys. As for just 'hiring' or recruiting an expert, i think thats the real way to go. I bet i could point out a doper per competition, every time, more if they provided enough tests. I cant be the only one...