Likes Likes:  43
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New weight classes thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Eklund View Post
    So it seems the IWF is adopting the new 7 weight classes from the IOC, and USAW is going to follow suit. I'm curious to see what they are. Looks like we're going to have to be losing or gaining some weight.
    Where are you seeing that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnadom View Post
    Where are you seeing that?
    https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightli...-Open-Series-3

Post Thanks / Like
    That only says that USAW is adopting the IWF weight classes. It doesn't say anything about the IWF adopting only the 7 weight classes from the IOC. It just says the Olympics will contest 7 classes for each gender taken from the new IWF categories.

As part of the its revamping of the sport, the IWF will establish new weight categories that will be contested in all international competitions beginning with the 2018 World Weightlifting Championships.

Seven weight categories from each gender, taken from the new set of weight categories, will be contested at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
    The post from Lukas sounded like he was saying that the IWF was adopting only the 7 classes from the IOC, while the release seems to state the opposite where the IOC will adopt 7 of the new IWF chosen weight classes to contest at Tokyo.

4. Likes jockomoron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres hoping for a males 98-100kg and a females 80ishkg

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Phil chimes in: do you have an idea when local competitions can/will implement the new weight categories? Will it be before or after the AOIII?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I've been giving this some thought, and here's what makes sense to me...

Women: 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, +90

Women's Olympics: 50, 57.5, 65, 72.5, 80, 87.5, +87.5

Men: 60, 66, 72, 79, 85, 91, 97, 103, 109, +109

Men's Olympics: 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, +110
    Do you even square cube law? This isn't how strength works, at the upper bound you need more than twice the mass for the same results vs. the lower bound.

Post Thanks / Like
    How will (Russian) classifications be determined if/when they change weight classes? For example, what will be the new standards for a cms lifter at the new weight classes?

I guess a better question is how do the Russians calculate these totals for the various classes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably whatever percentage of bodyweight increase there is, the total will increase by the same percentage. So if the MS for 77 in Ukraine is 275. If the weight class comes up to 79, then the MS qualification will become 285.

Post Thanks / Like

New weight classes

When will these be set? Does anyone have any idea for what to expect? Man, it would be great if they just added 1-2 kilos to each class

Post Thanks / Like
    Not officially until July.

I would guess that Phil might have an idea after that congress in CoSprings but it probably won't leak for awhile if it does.