Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: 2018 Goals Thread

  1. #1
    AKA Tony Arkitect FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,939
    Post Thanks / Like

    2018 Goals Thread

    It's that time of year! For me:

    1. Get my heart situation straightened out so I can actually live my life.
    2. BW: 105kg (124 now)
    3. Compete in a Weightlifting competition/qualify for AO series
    4. Compete in a Powerlifting competition/break NH state records
    5. Military Press 100kg


    It's hard to even think about 2-5 until 1 gets handled.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

    Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

    Friend me on Facebook

    Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

  2. Likes djbkm liked this post
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Qualify for AO series as a 105.
    Squat 182

  4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like
    Snatch 130
    Clean 150
    Jerk 160
    Squat 200

    Don't think I made any of my 2017 goals, but I did squat 182 so that might've been on the list. On to 2018.
    120/137 @105+, too tall

  6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  7. #4
    Member Gordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Compete again
    2. Finally snatch 100 (had this goal since 2014 )
    3. Front squat 150
    4. Don't get injured (most important)
    5. Sotts press 70 ( just for fun)
    Last edited by Gordo; 12-27-2017 at 01:55 AM.

  8. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  9. #5
    Member Judas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,506
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... why not. This is the internet version ov the New Years Resolution (read: never happens), so what the hell...


    Unofficially beat Canadian National records in snatch, C&J, total, and shot-put.

    For that i'd need 121 (so lets say 125, i like round numbers), 147 (so might as well 150), and 265 (275?). Done more before, the C&J just last year, so could happen...

    For throws i'd need 14.33m. Did quite a bit more last year, so again, tis possible...

    IF i go that route, i might still compete in PL this summer (but not train for it), and up an age class now, all 4 world records are easily within reach... for what thats worth.

    If i decide to focus on powerlifting (and if my injuries allow), i'll compete this summer or fall, and shoot for true elite (well, now called 'international elite')... the elusive 500 raw wilks. Very likely wont bother with powerlifting though... heart's just not in it anymore. Really... it never was. I just want my records back... dammit.


    500 front squat is my only lifting goal this year. I'd like to finally see a 315 strict press too, but i'd have to gain a lot ov weight to do that (and yeah, fuck eating). Close the 2.5 Captains of Crush, both hands.

  10. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  11. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    • come down to cat 105 now on 138 kg (bringing together, as a well-known consequence that I already experienced, sugar blood levels, high blood pressure, blah, blah, blah)
    • to reach an effective squat depth
    • gradually and safelly increase my 70 kg snatch as a consequence of the previous goals
    • idem for clean & jerk now on 90 kg
    Last edited by brownbear1968; 12-27-2017 at 08:08 AM.

  12. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    It's that time of year! For me:

    1. Get my heart situation straightened out so I can actually live my life.
    2. BW: 105kg (124 now)
    3. Compete in a Weightlifting competition/qualify for AO series
    4. Compete in a Powerlifting competition/break NH state records
    5. Military Press 100kg


    It's hard to even think about 2-5 until 1 gets handled.
    Can I ask what you will do for the first point?

  13. #8
    AKA Tony Arkitect FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Kaz View Post
    Can I ask what you will do for the first point?
    Well, it's actually not so much up to me. Here's the cliff notes:

    -5 years ago go to PCP for really bad muscle cramping/twitching. Doc is very thorough and orders an EKG just to rule anything out.

    -EKG shows something called WPW. Unrelated to symptoms but says I have to get it checked by a specialist.

    -Specialist says, "this could kill you some day, the odds are low, but the procedure is very easy so just do it, then you never have to worry about it.

    -Have procedure done, and it damages my A/V node

    -Over the next few years my HR gets slower and slower until eventually I start getting dizzy spells.

    -go to hospital, they say I need a pacemaker. I don't really want a pacemaker, but docs tell me "it's not a big deal. We put it in, then you go live the rest of your life as normal"

    -Get pacemaker in, generally feel better for about 8 months, then I start to feel slightly crappy again, and the worse and worse.

    -Go to doctor, tell him I'm not feeling great. Send me for an echocardiogram, and my heart function has decreased by almost 50%

    -There are two leads (wires) in a normal pacemaker, one in the right atrium, one in the right ventricle. Depending on why you need the pacemaker determines which one actually provides the electrical charge. I'm only paced in the right ventricle, and not in the atrium. Turns out right ventricle only pacing can weaken your heart.

    -Now going through a battery of tests to rule out anything else. If it indeed is the pacemaker, they'll put a 3 lead in me, to make my left ventricle beat more in sync with the right ventricle. This is supposed to fix the issue, but given my luck, I have my doubts.

    To answer your question: I guess for me it's just about doing as much research as possible and making the best decision I can based on the information I have. If I had done that in the first place five years ago, I probably wouldn't be in this mess.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

    Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

    Friend me on Facebook

    Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

  14. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  15. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    Well, it's actually not so much up to me. Here's the cliff notes:

    -5 years ago go to PCP for really bad muscle cramping/twitching. Doc is very thorough and orders an EKG just to rule anything out.

    -EKG shows something called WPW. Unrelated to symptoms but says I have to get it checked by a specialist.

    -Specialist says, "this could kill you some day, the odds are low, but the procedure is very easy so just do it, then you never have to worry about it.

    -Have procedure done, and it damages my A/V node

    -Over the next few years my HR gets slower and slower until eventually I start getting dizzy spells.

    -go to hospital, they say I need a pacemaker. I don't really want a pacemaker, but docs tell me "it's not a big deal. We put it in, then you go live the rest of your life as normal"

    -Get pacemaker in, generally feel better for about 8 months, then I start to feel slightly crappy again, and the worse and worse.

    -Go to doctor, tell him I'm not feeling great. Send me for an echocardiogram, and my heart function has decreased by almost 50%

    -There are two leads (wires) in a normal pacemaker, one in the right atrium, one in the right ventricle. Depending on why you need the pacemaker determines which one actually provides the electrical charge. I'm only paced in the right ventricle, and not in the atrium. Turns out right ventricle only pacing can weaken your heart.

    -Now going through a battery of tests to rule out anything else. If it indeed is the pacemaker, they'll put a 3 lead in me, to make my left ventricle beat more in sync with the right ventricle. This is supposed to fix the issue, but given my luck, I have my doubts.

    To answer your question: I guess for me it's just about doing as much research as possible and making the best decision I can based on the information I have. If I had done that in the first place five years ago, I probably wouldn't be in this mess.
    I saw your comments on 2017 goals about weight. Do plan any diet for 2018 no matter the consequences involving not raising your PRs? If 'yes' you will have a partner! I quoted your message because I got a lot of good colateral consequences in lowering my weight in the past including restablishing good blood pressure levels.
    Last edited by brownbear1968; 12-27-2017 at 09:52 AM.

  16. #10
    Member deeby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    577
    Post Thanks / Like
    Squat 300#
    Deadlift 400#
    Bodyweight snatch <-- If I can snatch for longer than a month without injuring my shoulder I'll be happy
    10 000 total pullups for the year
    Last edited by deeby; 12-28-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added the pullups

  17. Likes Blairbob liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •