Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Russian squat failed..What next

Post Thanks / Like

Russian squat failed..What next

So I've been doing a master program of the Russian squat routine- basicly twice a week instead of three. So I failed today's workout which was 3x3.
    -I started of at 330 and missed the third rep.
    -I took of 5lbs and was able to hit 325 for 3reps.
    -On the third set was only able to hit 325 for 2, again I missed the third rep.
    - I finished up with 330 for a double.
    Question is, should I repeat this again or continue with the program? The week after calls for 2x2 at 350 which I don't think I'll be able to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just reduce the weight. Use 335 for 2x2. With a little rest, you should still get super-compensation. At 2x a week you just can't expect the same results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do people do these aggressive programs but then dumb them down? They work BECAUSE they are aggressive. Try it again. As in, abort what you've done (believe me, you HAVE gotten stronger), give it a week or two, till you feel good again, then start anew. Here's how:

Figure out your REAL max (do it on a decent day), and assume nothing. You only need to know what it is, so if you squat 350 and figure there is a bit more, you dont have to grind the living piss out ov 355 to prove it. If during the program you were grinding lifts or worse, failing them, you might not be good to test a true max for 2-3 weeks. Maybe 4 if your recovery is weak. Then impute a max 20-25lbs LESS than that. Then follow the program EXACTLY.

Hell, i had my best results when i took a rest day AWAY. Instead ov 3 times a week, i did it every second day, so 3.5 times a week. I've done this program MANY times, and put my lifters on it many times. It never fails.

4. Likes thatmoutain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had good luck with program and usually do it closer to 2x a week than three.

I can usually do them with an est 1rm 10lbs over my actual.

I would do the 6x2 and then repeat, or just move on. You’ve done the majority of the work, the end days are all about cns and mentality. My partner just finished up and he failed the first two sets on 3x3 but belted up and then hit 3 sets after that. All mental at this point. Also you have to be 100% on those days, food and sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question is, should I repeat this again or continue with the program?
    Account for conditions. Was your sleep or food off or body feeling meh?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree to basically repeat. I've done that exact program, didn't fail a rep until the 2x2 day. Hit the first double, then only 1 rep on the second set. Repeated the next week, and same thing. Then went on and tested new max, which was a PR!!

And, yes, account for various conditions. As Masters, stress and other life issues can have a much more profound effect on our lifting. Good luck!!

8. Likes jockomoron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Serious question: did you really expect to complete any program, but particularly a relatively aggressive one like RSR 76, without missing a single rep? That's not how it works. Particularly working with weights 90% and above, it's always possible to fail for a myriad of reasons: bad sleep, lack of nutrition, poor mental preparation, shit technique, etc. If you didn't miss at all in the gym I would question how hard you're trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Easternhammer View Post
    Serious question: did you really expect to complete any program, but particularly a relatively aggressive one like RSR 76, without missing a single rep? That's not how it works. Particularly working with weights 90% and above, it's always possible to fail for a myriad of reasons: bad sleep, lack of nutrition, poor mental preparation, shit technique, etc. If you didn't miss at all in the gym I would question how hard you're trying.
    I disagree, and i have done this program as written enough times without fail, and then even more times with my own subtle mods, again without fail, my lifters as well. Thing is, i put much emphasis in my non-lifting life to make sure i dont have 'bad days'. And well, i usually dont. Masters lifters may have it harder here, with so much non-gym shit going on typically, but then again, training as many young people as i do, i'd say they're just as bad... as few have their lives under any sort ov control at that age. I'll also say that no one with shit technique should be drilling that same technique so hard with programs like this. There's a lesson i learned the hard way...

But this is squats... a pretty simple movement. If it was snatch and C&J, then sure i'd expect misses.