Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Recommended Ratios for Some Techniques

Post Thanks / Like

Recommended Ratios for Some Techniques

RECOMMENDED RATIOS FOR SOME TECHNIQUES

I am looking for some recommended ratios. I´ve read some information on Everett´s book, but it was not conclusive. So if any of you could indicate the numbers x1 to x10 on the list bellow I would appreciate! Also some good books indications covering this topic are welcome.

DROP SNATCH = up to x1% of snatch's 1RM (*)
    HANG POWER SNATCH = up to x2% of snatch's 1RM
    HANG SNATCH = up to x3% of snatch's 1RM
    MUSCLE SNATCH = up to x4% of snatch's 1RM
    OVERHEAD SQUAT = up to x5% of snatch's 1RM (*)
    POWER SNATCH = up to x6% of snatch's 1RM
    SNATCH BALANCE = up to x7% of snatch's 1RM (*)
    SNATCH PULL = up to x8% of snatch's 1RM
    SNATCH PUSH PRESS = up to x9% of snatch's 1RM (*)

JERK FROM RACK = up to x9% of clean & jerk's 1RM
    CLEAN PULL = up to x10% of clean & jerk's 1RM

Exercises marked with a (*) are the most important in my case at this training phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    DropSn: Never heard of any ratios but I've been playing with them lately and hitting/missing 90% of my current Sn. Miss or hit 84 and my latest Sn is 93.

HangPSN: No idea. Never heard of any nor do I these much besides in a complex to warmup or if I haven't lifted for awhile.

HangSn: Chinese seem to think you can do more than 100% with these than 1rm. Never heard of any ratios before and don't push them much though my coach likes them.

MuscleSn: depends on hip or no hip. But I've seen 60-65%.

OH: I think Burgener once said 110% of SN. I'm playing with these again but generally as an afterthought. I've seen some Chinese do these with the same weights as their jerk or btn Jerk. I think Torokthiy has done this as well.

PSn: Should probably be somewhere around 85%. While some ppl like to put out 80%, Roman states 87%. It really depends if the PSN is more of a half sn just above parallel are fairly high with the knee angle around 90 degrees. If it's a half snatch and the athlete can do an OHS/SN very deep, it's probably more like 90% though some ppl will still believe it's 80%. Once you have start to descend under the bar or can't put on the brakes, that % is gonna go down real fast.

SnBalance: Some chinese seem to do this with their jerk just like I stated in OHS. I want to say I heard Burgener state 110% a long time ago.

SnPull: probably depends on high pull or ext. one being with a very similar bar speed to a snatch while the other is slower and more for strength.

SnPP: never see ratio for this. I've Sn 98 and SnPP 95 or 97.

Rack Jerk: I've seen 109% in the Russian ratios.

Clean Pull: probably depends on high pull or ext. one being with a very similar bar speed to a clean while the other is slower and more for strength.

3. Likes brownbear1968 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the drop snatches, are you using any dip and upward drive to get upward momentum on the bar before pressing under or just dropping/pressing yourself down into the catch from a standstill?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do drop snatches from a standstill without a dip or heave. I've never really tried to push them that high until lately. I try to think about pushing through my forefoot so my heel elevates as I move under the bar.

I also do snatch balances but I do these with a dip/heave. My best sn is 98 on record but my best sn balance was either 95 or 97.

Post Thanks / Like
    The German weightlifting federation has such an overview, which you can find here

http://turkish-sports.atspace.org/do...telkatalog.pdf

Some useful terms

1: Reissen = snatch
    2: Reissen mit Baendern = snatch with straps
    3: Stossen = clean and jerk
    4: Umsetzen = clean
    5: Ausstossen = jerk

6: Reissen v. erhoeter Position = snatch from elevated position (hang, blocks)
    7: Standreissen = power snatch
    10: Standumsetzen = power clean
    12: Standausstossen = power jerk

13: Zug breit = snatch pull
    14: Zug eng = clean pull

18: Reisskniebeuge = snatch grip overhead squat
    19: Kniebeuge vorne = front squat
    20: Kniebeuge hinten = back squat

25: Kraftdrücken = press overhead
    26: Schwungdrücken = push press

The right column is called "Zielwert" (target value). This column is subdivided in "Bestwert" (best lift) and Maximales woechentliches mittleres Hantelgewicht (the maximal average weight for the week. If you snatch three times you can calculate an average value for the lift for the given week. This value should not be higher than the given percentage in this table.
    All percentages are always in relation to the competition lift. So snatch pull is in regards to competitions snatch. Power clean in relation to clean and jerk. Squats are in relation to clean and jerk.

7. Likes brownbear1968, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot of these ratios will depend on how they are incorporated in an athlete's program. For example, my coach has certain metrics he uses to predict maxes or in relation to maxes based on the exercises and rep schemes we use. So he knows if we do XYZ exercise and improve it by so many kilos, my snatch should improve by 1-3%. On the other hand, my metrics for my lifters differ because of the variation we have in training methods and it varies lifter to lifter because of individual needs or training age.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the main goals why I am looking for this ratios is to correct my main weakness: during my snatch and cj (mainly on snatch) I do a power + squat movement, i.e., I don´t go directly to my deepest squat position. As a result I feel that I cannot explore higher loads.

Talking with some coaches, after watching my movement, they explained that I do such movement due to: 1) afraid of of the weight (...lol); and 2) lack of mobility.

Yesterday I did a 1RM test for OHP (strict): 82 kg. Funny thing is that my numbers are 70 sn and 90 cj. There is strength available but I have to eliminate my "power + squat" bad form. Deadlift, squat, bench press, behind the neck press, etc, all of them offer some "fat" to encourage me to raise my 70/90 marks.

Regarding mobility I am beginning this week a 45 minutes exclusively dedicated to mobility/stretching exercises.

Regarding the "power + squat" bad form, the drop snatch and the snatch balance are exercises that are helping me a lot. As a proof that there is still much work, is my current maximum drop snatch percentage (40%) when compared to the numbers you guys described.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    DropSN I think are good for explosiveness and fast feet. SnBalances I think are good for confidence. I'm not sure there is too much carryover with SnBalances when you see lifters do them like the Chinese or Torokthiy with weights far beyond their snatch and approaching their jerk. Helps to have that kind of mobility. I think at the point they hit diminishing returns. It's like CJ Cummings has snatch balanced 20 or 30kg more than his snatch so that gives him a buffer to recovering the snatch more than anything.

If your mobility is poor, you probably just need to work in long pauses into your lifts on all your squats to make them loaded stretch. I'm sure you could do all the ROMWOD you want all day but you'll get more flexibility with long horrible holds. 5seconds+.

As well, you probably just need to do a lot of tall or high hang snatches with a vertical torso rather than hang from mid thigh or covering the bar. Sometimes that can bump the bar a bit too out which is why you'll have a hard time to do much more than powering the weights since you have to chase the bar.

11. Likes brownbear1968 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if it means anything but I did a DropSn with 91. Which I think I may have done before but need to check.

Several factors probably helped. I only did FS singles on Sat with 0 rdl's (though I rode 30mi on the bike yesterday). The Cranberries were on. I ate 2 large cookies today (but not much else besides a frozen chimichanga).

There was also a cute coed in bootay shorts nearby. Mighta been a factor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Not sure if it means anything but I did a DropSn with 91. Which I think I may have done before but need to check.

Several factors probably helped. I only did FS singles on Sat with 0 rdl's (though I rode 30mi on the bike yesterday). The Cranberries were on. I ate 2 large cookies today (but not much else besides a frozen chimichanga).

There was also a cute coed in bootay shorts nearby. Mighta been a factor
    bootay shorts ...

lol
    Last edited by brownbear1968; 01-16-2018 at 12:55 PM.