Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Milko Tokola quits weightlifting

Post Thanks / Like

Milko Tokola quits weightlifting

https://instagram.com/p/Bdx4S5SlzPI/

In addition to the IG post, he sent an email regarding the matter to a Finnish newspaper. He ended the email by saying that the Finnish Weightliftin Fed can ”choke on shit”.

Well, it’s quite an exit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, saw it post on Reddit. TBH, I don't really care but he has some fans.

Apparently he trains with Seim and his dad which I would think probably pisses off some ppl in FWF. The same thing happens in other countries that if the higher ups don't like you, you get blackballed.

OTOH, it seems Finland is doing alright economically though their national sport is hockey with 2 other sports just like hockey. Who knows how much $$ FWF has. Have they ever been a European WL power? I'm doubting it but didn't feel like going through all the Finnish WLers in the IWF DB. They seemed pretty middle of the pack but I don't know if the populace themselves are heavily into CF or WL or PL there (I'm guessing they are in PL and SM).

Post Thanks / Like
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Bullshit. I love that guy. But if he must, i hope he pulls a PolovniKlokov and goes full-crank and puts on a great YouTube show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post

Apparently he trains with Seim and his dad which I would think probably pisses off some ppl in FWF. The same thing happens in other countries that if the higher ups don't like you, you get blackballed.

OTOH, it seems Finland is doing alright economically though their national sport is hockey with 2 other sports just like hockey. Who knows how much $$ FWF has. Have they ever been a European WL power? I'm doubting it but didn't feel like going through all the Finnish WLers in the IWF DB. They seemed pretty middle of the pack but I don't know if the populace themselves are heavily into CF or WL or PL there (I'm guessing they are in PL and SM).
    Lack of resources will always make things contentious.

How wealthy a country is isn't necessarily an indicator of how much money they are going to spend on any given sport. Results are.

Norway spends A LOT on some sports, especially cross country skiing and the results there speak for themselves. It's kind of a chicken and egg situation, because how are athletes supposed to really give everything in their chosen sport if the financial support isn't there?

All the Nordic countries are pretty much in the same boat. Lots of resources but they are spent elsewhere and with the results being lacking, it's hard to argue for wider support.

If Finland is like Norway they probably prefer spending their money on measures that benefit a larger number of athletes in smaller ways. Giving athletes stipends to support living in a Nordic country will be extremely hard to justify when their lifts won't even be shown on television.

Edit: should probably add that I don't really know specifics about how things are run in Finland or Norway. Just what I've observed and drawn my own conclusions from as a part of the community.
    Last edited by Dankdave; 01-12-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post

Late 1960 to early 1970 many world record holders from Finland; Kaarlo Kangasniemi (17 WR), kauko Kangasniemi(different lifter), kalevi lahdenranta, Juhani Avellan, jaakko kailajarvi. Most were in the quick lifts snatch and CJ. Very often beating a Soviet.
    I think that the fact that the Soviet Union was just across the border there was a fair amount of lifting exchange. In spite of the fact that the small populace Finland embarrassingly repelled a vastly superior Soviet invasion in the 3 month winter war 1939.
    Link to article on Jaako Kailajarvi (with further link inside to an article on how he trained)
    https://www.robmacklem.com/jaakko-ka...list/#more-288
    Last edited by robo; 01-12-2018 at 01:32 PM.

6. Likes Blairbob, celicaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to school with a guy from Finland. Dude could speak every language on the planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Bullshit. I love that guy. But if he must, i hope he pulls a PolovniKlokov and goes full-crank and puts on a great YouTube show.
    same