Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Classic Lifts for Reps

Post Thanks / Like

Classic Lifts for Reps

I have a question I'd love some clarification on. When doing the snatch and clean and jerk for reps I often see people taking 10 to 20 seconds between reps. Some "triples" can take 30 seconds to complete.

I have always only taken a couple of seconds to reset and get after subsequent reps immediately. Should I be taking more time between reps? Is a cluster set with some time between reps more effective?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think when going for a maximum 3 rep snatch or CJ, taking upwards of 20-30 seconds (maybe even more for the CJ) to complete is ok - not great. This is a test attempt with weights close to 85-90%+ of a 1RM. This can be a big mental boost for the lifter and help them overcome old maxes.

Ideally I would say the reps should be done in quick succession if doing 2-3 reps at a time, especially if using training loads of 65-80%. I tell my lifters they should be able to fit their set within Instagram's old video limits (15 seconds) or else they're taking too long to set up/it's too heavy. It takes away any overthinking and helps make the lift become more second nature for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    If i had good knees, i'd do it like the Russians do. Rapid fire and perfect every time. But i cant. I would say that whatever way you chose, just be consistent with it. Ie: dont go rapid fire with a 70 snatch, brief set-up breaks with 90, definite set-up breaks with 110 and long breaks with a (say, max) 120.

I do like that 'if its taking too long to set up its too heavy (for reps)' idea though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies gents, makes sense. Going to stick with a quicker turnaround between reps.

As far as cluster sets go, anybody use them for weightlifting? I can typically do my best triple for 5 reps when taking about 10 seconds between reps. Maybe use this srrategy at the start of a training cycle?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think as an overload strategy and to build the mental capacity to increase the weight, those cluster sets are useful. I would incorporate them maybe once every two weeks as part of an overreaching day.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as cluster sets go, anybody use them for weightlifting?
    Yes, towards the end of my backoff sets. One could argue that doing jerks from blocks sometimes turns them into cluster sets because you have to reset. I do my jerks on those padded extended rails which means I lower the bar like a squat jerk and then have to rack it and move away from said rails before jerking again.

I've been keeping backoff sets simple just doing triples back up until they are doubles which turn into clustered singles and then maybe a few singles with 1min or less of rest. That's about where it tops out. I do them much more often than every weeks but I will admit I train much more harder than I should. Ce la vie ñ'est-ce pas?