Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Question about diet

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question about diet

    I have a few questions about good nutrition habits and macro ratios. First a little about my diet. I weigh around 70 - 70.5 kg. I have found over the course of several months that, with my training routine, if I eat around 2750 calories a day (2800 on training days and 2650-2700 on non-training days) then I can maintain my weight for the most part. I had been averaging around 70 g of fat, 170 g of protein, and the rest of my calories in carbs (around 315 g). My basic routine was to hit my fat numbers, get lots of protein, and then what ever I had left in the calorie bank for the day I would spend on carbs.

    Recently I read an article in a journal talking about the diet of speed/strength athletes. In it I saw that their numbers (averaged over several different lifters of varying ability) were different from mine. Their numbers for fat were much higher than mine and their numbers for protein were much lower than mine (as a result, their total carb intake was also off from mine). In that paper, the athletes were getting around 39 +- 4 % of their calories from fat, 1.9 +- .6 grams per kg of bodyweight of protein, and around 4.2 grams per kg of bodyweight of carbs. So, according to this paper, my macros were/are off. I'm not getting enough fat. I'm getting too much protein. And my carbs are on the high side.

    With this in mind, I've decide to change my macros as follows: 36.5 % of calories from fat, 20 % of calories from protein, and the rest (or 43.5 % of calories) from carbs. To me, this seems high on the fat side (around 114 g/day) and low on the protein side (around 140 g/day).

    Question: Do these macros seem skewed to you? Assuming that I get the fats from good fat sources (olive oil, avocados, dairy, grains, etc.) and not exclusively from fatty meats, do you think this high of a fat diet will lead to serious heart conditions?

    Sorry for the long-winded write-up. I am sure that I have not listed everything either, so please ask any clarifying questions. Thank you for reading.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your initial protein intake seems like the right amount.

    You should look up "metabolic typing". Some people will be fine with high fat diets, others will do better with higher carbs, or just a "balanced" diet.

  3. #3
    Member Bulldog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've found that most strength athletes (that's primarily what we are) will do better on a higher protein diet. I recently switched to basically an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) diet with Protein being around 1gm/lb BW and have been recovering much better than before, and strength is going up!!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments so far! If I were to add back more protein, should I take the calories from fats or from carbs, or from both? That is, does the amount of fat (36.5% of calories) seem high? I like were I am at right now with my body composition, so I really don't want to add fat to my body. And I'm not sure if upping my fat intake will do that or not (still keeping calories the same).

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once I stopped looking at macros and obsessing over getting in copious amounts of protein my strength and weight actually went up. My main focus is on eating as many vegetables and legumes as possible, oats and rice are my main grains with occasional Ezekiel bread, a few servings of fruit everyday and meat once per day mostly (usually fish or chicken) with some days no meat (I do eat about a dozen and a half farm fresh eggs per week though). I use mainly organic extra virgin olive oil and eat nuts and avocado and coconut for most of my fats. No protein powders or other supps other than 2000 IU vitamin D per day . I've broken my old bodyweight plateau of a soft 220lbs (whilst eating tons more protein at the time) and got to a not sloppy 240 lbs at 6"2 with these diet changes.

    Recovery is better, sleep is better and I haven't been sick (not even a cold) in well over a year. Totally counter intuitive to popular logic as far as muscle gain and performance go but it's working so I'm not screwing with it. Figured I would share as I once weighed and obsessed over my macros and never imagined something as simple as this would work.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PK33 View Post
    Once I stopped looking at macros and obsessing over getting in copious amounts of protein my strength and weight actually went up. My main focus is on eating as many vegetables and legumes as possible, oats and rice are my main grains with occasional Ezekiel bread, a few servings of fruit everyday and meat once per day mostly (usually fish or chicken) with some days no meat (I do eat about a dozen and a half farm fresh eggs per week though). I use mainly organic extra virgin olive oil and eat nuts and avocado and coconut for most of my fats. No protein powders or other supps other than 2000 IU vitamin D per day . I've broken my old bodyweight plateau of a soft 220lbs (whilst eating tons more protein at the time) and got to a not sloppy 240 lbs at 6"2 with these diet changes.

    Recovery is better, sleep is better and I haven't been sick (not even a cold) in well over a year. Totally counter intuitive to popular logic as far as muscle gain and performance go but it's working so I'm not screwing with it. Figured I would share as I once weighed and obsessed over my macros and never imagined something as simple as this would work.
    Do you by any chance know how many calories and fats you consumer per day?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasebolden View Post
    Do you by any chance know how many calories and fats you consumer per day?
    Not sure. Fluctuates depending on how many training sessions I'm doing that week and whether I'm feeling recovered or not. The only variable I pay attention to is carb intake if I feel like I'm gaining too much fat at which point I ease up on the grains and leave everything else the same.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PK33 View Post
    Not sure. Fluctuates depending on how many training sessions I'm doing that week and whether I'm feeling recovered or not. The only variable I pay attention to is carb intake if I feel like I'm gaining too much fat at which point I ease up on the grains and leave everything else the same.
    Thanks! On average how much carbs do you eat a day?
    Last edited by jasebolden; 03-04-2018 at 05:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasebolden View Post
    Thanks! On average how much carbs do you eat a day?
    Neighbourhood of 400 when gaining/maintaining and 200 or less when trying to lose.

  10. #10
    Member Judas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasebolden View Post
    I have a few questions about good nutrition habits and macro ratios. First a little about my diet. I weigh around 70 - 70.5 kg. I have found over the course of several months that, with my training routine, if I eat around 2750 calories a day (2800 on training days and 2650-2700 on non-training days) then I can maintain my weight for the most part.
    How tall are you?

    How old are you?

    Whats your genetic make-up? Race, body type (meso/ecto/endomorph)?

    Whats your BF%? (what was it when you started training?)

    How much LBM (lean body mass) have you gained since you started training? (ie: do you gain LBM easily?)

    How long have you been training?

    What are your goals?


    Also, be careful taking/comparing info from the journals ov others, especially if they are at a high level. IF... they are on drugs (and they will never tell you this) that skews EVERYTHING. I've seen sooooo much damage done to clean athletes trying to train with or use programs/diets/whatever, from unclean ones (especially fake natties), thinking that they were clean.

  11. Likes Blairbob, Bulldog73 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •