Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Question about diet

Post Thanks / Like
    I will continue to try to time the use of ibuprofen so as to control joint pain during training
    Have you ever tried turmeric capsules? My buddy/coach swears by Excedrin but there was some concern with GERD he was getting and that is very troublesome for asians when it leads into esophageal cancer (my cousin has been dealing with this since late 2015 and apparently a lifetime of GERD didn't help). These days with just save it for meet or a full-on max day to test lifts vs a heavy day/max day.

I gotta buy some tea tonight so I'll snag a bottle of fish oil. You shouldn't have the loose stool issues if you build up to it to over time.

I think my joint pain is more about how things track inside my knee besides my crunchy shoulders that want a day off besides something degenerative. My shoulders did not feel good after 18.1 on day 4 after 3 days of WL.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is not a legal/non-RX supplement/drug to be found that will take the place of/do better than any sort of NSAID for acute pain relief. If your shit hurts right now, all the turmeric in India aint gonna help, right now. A decent supplement to include in a good diet, exercise, recovery regime? Possibly

Post Thanks / Like
    There is not a legal/non-RX supplement/drug to be found that will take the place of/do better than any sort of NSAID for acute pain relief.
    Kratom. It's not schedule 1 yet but the FDA did announce to move forward to making it so. Apparently it's still in some smoke shops though the FDA and Feds have been seizing it in customs and warehouses.

But getting back to it, I wonder how much pain MB is in? A lot or some, like you GD...because you're old and train like someone half your age. Not that I don't do the same, but I'm in my prime.

Just for the hell of it, I popped 3 fish oil capsules now so I'll give it a week or 3 and see if it does anything. The rest of March is gonna be a hellified month for training if I survive it.
    Last edited by Blairbob; 03-13-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    CBD oil is legal and its pain relief, as well as sleep benefits, are pretty well known.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasebolden View Post
    Fish oils are overrated or taking them in supplement form? Eating fatty fish is still thought to be very effective as a health benefit right?
    First off, i want to clarify that i never said they were overrated and didn't work. Only that they dont work for ME. I'm not exactly the best test subject... a lot ov stuff doesn't work on me. According to experts, i should have been 5ftO, 100lbs and dead 10 years ago...

REAL fats from REAL fish is still a VERY good idea i think. Thats probably where the oils fail... once again, man trying to reinvent nature or improve on it. Just eat real food. Almost nothing in North American supermarkets is real. Only in North America will you see the phenomenon ov people eating 10000 calories a day and still being malnourished...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendog View Post
    There is not a legal/non-RX supplement/drug to be found that will take the place of/do better than any sort of NSAID for acute pain relief. If your shit hurts right now, all the turmeric in India aint gonna help, right now. A decent supplement to include in a good diet, exercise, recovery regime? Possibly
    Good ol drugs will always conquer natural remedies. But there is always a cost.

That said, PVL used to make this supplement a few years ago (pretty sure they dont still make it) called 'Flammagen'. It was basically turmeric, or at least VERY heavy on it. That shit.... was goddamn magical. It was also nasty... turmeric burps out the nose are Guantanamo Bay-level torture... but damn... it worked. I didn't have near the joint issues back then as i have now though. I wonder if it'd be as good? It was so damn good, SOMEONE has to make something similar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    . . But getting back to it, I wonder how much pain MB is in? A lot or some, like you GD...because you're old and train like someone half your age.
    The pain is just knee pain -- hurts when squatting, though 4 out of 5 training sessions that pain will diminish to tolerable after warming up and hitting at least one working set of snatch, clean or squat. Why? Could be just being old -- mid-40s, but still a few years younger than and a weight class below that Goldendog monster -- but training (at least volume & #-of-times/week) like someone 10+ yrs younger. It also could be that I'm just not tough enough. In my late-teens and early-20s, I didn't participate in any sort of heavy weight-bearing exercise; perhaps my joints are supposed to feel this way regardless of whether I'm 46 yrs old or 16 years old.

Anyway, my perhaps-dubious hypothesis (re. fish oil) is not that this stuff is in any way an acute therapy, but instead that it may greatly reduce the need for acute pharmaceutical therapy either (a) by somehow facilitating my body's production of stuff that "lubricates" (I just picked that word out of the air) my joints and relevant tendons/ligaments, or (b) by minimizing the inflammatory (and pain-causing) reaction my body has to having the knees being thrown into and out of a squat position many-many times a day.

In terms of legal pharmaceuticals, I would like to try some effective topicals -- I think someone on this forum once mentioned Voltaren (diclofenac), though I'm pretty sure that an RX is required in the U.S.. When I lived in Australia I used topical ibuprofen (can't get that in the U.S.). . . but this was for my knee-needs as a 30-yr-old midget who played pick-up and rec-league basketball 3-4x/week (with tall, hefty Australian people) while also running 6-10 miles / week -- I didn't even know what snatch/C&J were at that time and the only lower-body weight training I did were step ups with dumbells (that was probably another waste of time). Anyway, that topical IBP worked wonders and, of course, very little of it was systemically absorbed. Such would be ideal for now, when I'm seeking to just manage the acute pain at the joint during training, while minimizing any post-training, anti-inflammatory impact upon the surrounding muscles because I believe that there is a bit of similar-pathway inflammatory response, post-training that the muscles must utilize to repair and grow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mb_here View Post
    Why? Could be just being old -- mid-40s, but still a few years younger than and a weight class below that Goldendog monster -- but training (at least volume & #-of-times/week) like someone 10+ yrs younger. It also could be that I'm just not tough enough. In my late-teens and early-20s, I didn't participate in any sort of heavy weight-bearing exercise; perhaps my joints are supposed to feel this way regardless of whether I'm 46 yrs old or 16 years old.
    "Monster" LOL. I think guys our age are supposed to feel like guys our age. Heavy training kinda doesn't help and getting out of bed sucks and training in the morning sucks even more. I try to eat well and supplement smartly to continue doing what I do. I can train without NSAIDs almost all the time. Honestly, I think my job and job schedule fucks me up far more than weightlifting. Maybe I will quit and start a t-shirt business.

9. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pain is just knee pain -- hurts when squatting, though 4 out of 5 training sessions that pain will diminish to tolerable after warming up and hitting at least one working set of snatch, clean or squat.
    Have you tried capsaicin cream? I use cheap dollar store stuff that doesn't last that much longer than Tiger Balm but it's cheap and warms me up until I feel good. If it's really bad and you hate yourself, go find yourself some of the stuff that's red from the pits of hell. I don't miss using that stuff at all, especially when it really kicked in when sweating or hitting the showers later and reactivated.

by somehow facilitating my body's production of stuff that "lubricates" (I just picked that word out of the air) my joints and relevant tendons/ligaments
    I don't think fish oil will do jackall for the body's production of stuff that lubricates. Hylauronic acid is fairly researched and what came to mind besides Boswellia extract.

https://examine.com/stacks/joint-health/#supp4 One of the issues with these compounds is they seem to may take weeks to respond.

You could look into collagen building compounds like gelatin or oral glycine, alanine, proline. I don't do the whole Knox gelatin or sugar free Jello but it's not a bad idea. I sorta used a nutrition chart to get an idea of how much glycine, alanine, and proline were in my typical diet and there seemed to be a lot compared to justify not downing 10-20g of gelatin/day. That being said, knocking down 10-20g of gelatin is the easy fix to make sure your body has plenty of those 3 amino acids to rebuild collagen and what not. My buddy put it as...making sure there is plenty in the bank vs divying up what's in your daily diet.

The funny thing is this is based on 200calorie servings. http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...000000-2.html? Most meats provide a lot of these 3. OTOH, apparently my buddy has been eating bags of pork skins per day for glycine which I may have to look into.

Man, this voltaren sounds pretty awesome. Not that I want any because I don't think I'm that bad off and I'm frugal.

Looking for something other than ibuprofen, topical lidocaine seems pretty promising in creams or patches from what I googled in legit studies. Seems to be better performing than capsaicin without feeling like your skin is on fire leaving it red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something to be said about the capsaicin. You well sweat like a SoB. For a couple hours, I was sweating like a sauna after I rubbed it on the front of my shoulders, back of my neck and some on my elbows and wrists and knees. It's warmer in the gym lately, especially yesterday but holy crap was I sweating.

L shoulder actually feels better after 2nd day of it and noticed the crick in my neck on the right side is gone that was there yesterday. Maybe the left is just minorly strained/sprained but I was worried I might have torn something. Overhead wasn't really an issue today and barwork felt fine though I did feel it towards the ends of cleans yesterday.