Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Olympic Qualification Procedures

Post Thanks / Like

New Olympic Qualification Procedures

Big named countries being limited in the number of athletes they send.

Athletes need to compete 6 times in 18 months leading up to the games. No more letting the B squad earn spots while you dope your mind out.

https://barbend.com/tokyo-olympics-w...qualification/
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    IWF positives from 2008-2020

20(+): max 1+1 instead of 4+4

10-19: max 2+2 instead of 4+4

----

Three IWF positives in the qualification period 2018-2020 result in an automatic country ban. For Rio this was set at nine.

----

As for the requirement to compete six times in the Q period: there aren't enough open IWF comps for this to work smoothly. Especially if we assume the best lifter of any given nation in 2018 may not be the same in 2020.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, World's 2018 and 2019 just shot up as way more interesting than Tokyo to me.

But besides that how are people going to compete 6 times in the 18 months leading up to the games?? I didn't read anywhere where it established what level the competition had to be at but I assume it has to be greater than national because otherwise whats the fucking point. And if its international competition can someone name 6 places someone can compete on the international stage, since some are location specific?

Edit: Cause I didn't see Erpel's post but he makes a great point.

If your main 85kg lifter gets injured and he had to do 5/6 comps are you just fucked? Your backup who we'll say is just as good or close didn't go to 6/6 comps in 18 months so he's just screwed outta the olympics? It's really making the Olympics less of an appealing event for me.
    Last edited by PVCPipe; 04-12-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet we will see more Grand Prix type events pop up to fill the gap. Invitational or open, but probably lower level of competition so lifters do not have to be peaked every three months.

Speaking to Phil as Masters about this he seemed quite excited about the new qualification procedure. Personally, I am too. I think it is a trend in the right direction and harsh for those who consistently get popped.

Post Thanks / Like
    14 weight classes in Tokyo, made up of 196 lifters. That means you have to be in the top 14 lifters through 6 international competitions in order to make Tokyo 2020 putting aside the country limits of 4 and 4 plus these banned countries having lifters excluded.

Basically if you're not in the top 14 to maybe 16 or 17 lifters in the world then you aren't going to Tokyo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, why and how 18 months? For Rio it was June 2014 to June 2016, i.e. 24 months.

Jan 2019 to Jun 2020 = 18
    Jun 2018 to Dec 2019 = 18

?!?
    Last edited by erpel; 04-12-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't this going to be sorta expensive for certain athletes/countries that don't have full-time/career weightlifters. (USA, etc)
    . . . to go to this many IWF sanctioned meets in such a short period.

I mean, even if they come up with more Grand Prix meets or whatever,
    you are talking about a bunch of international/regional meets.

Or I am wrong here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    Isn't this going to be sorta expensive for certain athletes/countries that don't have full-time/career weightlifters. (USA, etc)
    . . . to go to this many IWF sanctioned meets in such a short period.

I mean, even if they come up with more Grand Prix meets or whatever,
    you are talking about a bunch of international/regional meets.

Or I am wrong here.
    You seem right in my eyes, and while this is supposedly supposed to benefit the individual, without the backing of your country and their money I don't see how anyone is going to be able to afford to go to 6 different international competition, especially if injured at any period. Zoe Smith has pretty well known story about injuring her shoulder and getting financial support removed so she worked full time at a coffee house, imagine that with 6 events needing to be hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what they mean by 2008, January or the Beijing Olympics? Because the original Reuters article says Bulgaria falls to 10(+) but with all of 2008 they have 20(+). The story also doesn't mention 10(+) countries like Greece, Iraq or Venezuela.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All.

I can answer and clarify a few questions.

If you are calculating nations, it is 10 OR more (Not above 10). It counts from the Opening Ceremony of the 2008 Olympic Games. There are a number of nations this article does not mention.

Each category has 14 athletes, max 4 per nation per gender, max 1 per nation per category. Those are allocated:
    Top 8
    Top 1 (from a nation not already represented in that country) from the Continent x 5 Continents.
    Tripartite Commission.

You must attend at least 6 events, including AT LEAST one in each period. Qualification is by name not by nation except where you qualify more than 4 in the Top 8 then you may choose which 4.

Overall, especially looking toward a Clean Games, this is an excellent document.

Yes, this will be expensive and yes, we are already working on adapting our selection procedures and funding procedures. I already held a call for our top athletes and National and above coaches to go through the Olympic qualifying system in some detail.

The IWF view it will not be because you send fewer athletes to more events as against having to send a full team. However, for nations who do field full teams, we now send 20 athletes not 16. You can roughly assess about $3000-4000 or so in costs per athlete depending on where in the world an event is.

Happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Phil

13. Likes Blairbob, LuckyLloyd liked this post