Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: New Olympic Qualification Procedures

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    What is the qualification period? The Reuters article said 18 months instead of previously 24.
    Can answer myself here:

    https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...tan-and-others

    Qualifying will be individual rather than team-based, so any athlete who wants to be in Tokyo 2020 will have to compete six times during the 18-month qualifying period, due to end on April 30 in 2020.
    November 2018 to April 2020 = 18 months.

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    My only concern at the moment is the frequency of competition leading to burnout or injury.
    I agree with this point, six is too many. Considering that lifters from populous countries also have to peak nationally to make international teams it seems quite daunting.

    I think this demand will change WL in a more serious way than currently envisioned. It requires an extensive change to the whole preparation/time management aspect, and thus even further, how training will be structured in principle.

  3. Likes LuckyLloyd liked this post
  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they want to turn the sport into a stable full “season” of competition where consistent results pay off. Honestly I think as spectators we will get to see more of our favourite lifters and even more competitions which sounds pretty good to me.

  5. #34
    Member Judas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    this was just announced. how do you know it won't clean up the sport?
    Man, you cant even keep drugs out ov bloody golf or CURLING, how the hell do you think you're gonna keep POWER athletes from using? Weightlifting is debatably the most physically powerful discipline on the planet. Drugs are NEVER going away. EVER. Its human nature, and sport is war. Re-wire the brain ov EVERY participant on Earth and you've got a start. Until you can literally do that, or invent a time machine, the cat is out ov the bag, Pandora gave up and went home, its DONE. Regulate it (like it was, pick your favorite era), and be done with it. Enjoy. All this is going to do is fuck the game up, lopside everything (whatever side is 'lopped' will change and cycle), and kill off everyone's heroes. You're gonna MLB it, and no one's gonna want to watch it. You cannot afford to lose ANY interest in this already difficult to grasp/understand niche sport. Believe me... more people want the drugs in it than not... whether they admit it or not.
    Last edited by Judas; 04-14-2018 at 03:05 AM.

  6. Likes thatmoutain liked this post
  7. #35
    Member Judas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Jon North's Fed died after a few years. AAU has a strong drug testing policy. It's not gonna become like PL, where many of those feds will probably die off after their founders move on or pass (How long with Louie's exist after he passes away one day?) Any federation to be successful would have to be global.

    Klokov's CrossLift is probably the only thing that could be but it's I don't really see it catching it on. GRID seems to be dead.

    Now, if the IOC kicks WL out, then I could see a possibility. I'm sure IWF would try to get back in for a quad or two maybe three but if they didn't, sure but the sport would shrink to become like the IPF.

    oh, and there would actually have to be money behind it. Right now, the IOC and IWF have more money than any grassroots org could hope to build. Maybe they could fight those Titans but doubt it.
    John North was never going to be anyone's savior. No shocker there.

    Thing is, you dont need or want ANY ov that PL nonsense. You want ONE fed without testing, thats it. One "clean" (still wont be clean), and one pro fed. And yes, obviously a global one.

    I dont know what Klokov's up to, or what any ov that stuff is. I also cant see the IOC booting weightlifting. What would they replace it with? Powerlifting? HAH!

    Money money money... you tell the truth there. God damn i wish there was some bored billionaire out there who loved this sport...

  8. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    I agree with this point, six is too many. Considering that lifters from populous countries also have to peak nationally to make international teams it seems quite daunting.

    I think this demand will change WL in a more serious way than currently envisioned. It requires an extensive change to the whole preparation/time management aspect, and thus even further, how training will be structured in principle.
    They just want more crossfitters in the sport. As they say, theres no off season, and training for next years open begins the moment they finish the last wod of this years open.

  9. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you have to compete 6 times in 18 months and be tested then, if you are right, people will have to beat drug tests or they will fail. if they fail they will be banned. then clean athletes compete. so how do you see it going down?

    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Man, you cant even keep drugs out ov bloody golf or CURLING, how the hell do you think you're gonna keep POWER athletes from using? Weightlifting is debatably the most physically powerful discipline on the planet. Drugs are NEVER going away. EVER. Its human nature, and sport is war. Re-wire the brain ov EVERY participant on Earth and you've got a start. Until you can literally do that, or invent a time machine, the cat is out ov the bag, Pandora gave up and went home, its DONE. Regulate it (like it was, pick your favorite era), and be done with it. Enjoy. All this is going to do is fuck the game up, lopside everything (whatever side is 'lopped' will change and cycle), and kill off everyone's heroes. You're gonna MLB it, and no one's gonna want to watch it. You cannot afford to lose ANY interest in this already difficult to grasp/understand niche sport. Believe me... more people want the drugs in it than not... whether they admit it or not.

  10. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    if you have to compete 6 times in 18 months and be tested then, if you are right, people will have to beat drug tests or they will fail. if they fail they will be banned. then clean athletes compete. so how do you see it going down?
    This is an honest to goodness ignorant question as in I don't know the logistics of it and would love to know the answer: an olympic quad is 4 years long and now has an 18 month window for qualification; whats stopping all doping athletes from doping in their country for the first 30 months(if not more and somehow fitting the 6 comps very close to each other)?

  11. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's better than doping all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    This is an honest to goodness ignorant question as in I don't know the logistics of it and would love to know the answer: an olympic quad is 4 years long and now has an 18 month window for qualification; whats stopping all doping athletes from doping in their country for the first 30 months(if not more and somehow fitting the 6 comps very close to each other)?

  12. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is being rolled out halfway through this quad, who's to say that they won't implement 16 competitions in a 48 month period or at least 10 in a 30 month period for eligibility after 2020?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •