Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Derksen's 94kg Training Log

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, really burned it out last week. It was mostly life stuff happening, but something has to give with training. I was completely shot over the weekend.

I’m going to go with a plan I posted on the main forum. I want to have two 30 minute workouts during the week that are dedicated snatch and clean and Jerk days with one quick supplemental move to finish it off. Then on the weekend I’ll have my Squat and Press day. I’ll either split it into two days on Friday and Saturday or do it all together on one day depending how my schedule is. This should ease up my training volume a lot and free up my schedule with the shorter workouts. I’ll also try to get some short interval workouts on my airdyne or with a sled somewhere in there, but those are quick workouts.

Monday June 4
    Snatch some singles between 70-80%
    135x1,1,1, 155x1,1,1,1,1, 165x1,1,1,1,1, 175x1,1,1,1,1.
    Had one fail in the 175s but made up for it. Trying to do everything in singles now, no more triples and doubles. Just keeping short rest periods in the clusters. Doing only singles helps my form stay crisper and my speed faster. Better quality practice overall. I got the idea from Joe Mills 20/20 workout. Him and a few others I read advocate for only singles on the full lifts to train power. We’ll see how it goes.

Snatch Deadlifts 3x10
    185 across.
    Starting out with deadlifts to build some strength, then i’ll move on to pulls after a cycle or two when I ramp it up.

Today was great. Lots of quality work in and I finished right on 35 minutes including warmup. Definitely easier mentally to attack a workout with one main exercise and one assistance lift than 3 main exercises and another 3 assistance lifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that sucked. I got a brutal cold last week and didn't train at all the rest of the week. I stayed home from work from from wednesday to friday and was down and out for the weekend as well. That was a really bad cold. Lots of other people I know got it too. It gave me a lot of time to think about the direction of my training. I'm really going to focus on one lift per day as I had decided before. I'll simply split the back squat and press day into separate days. So I should do at least 4 30-40 minute training sessions a week and I'll sneak in a 5th one when I can. Hopefully that will spread out the load more and ease up on my body a bit. Nothing but the basics now. I do not want to get sick like that again.

Tuesday June 12
    Still feeling the remnants of the cold today but my muscles felt good and I felt surprisingly strong despite being out cold last week. Strength seems to really stick better as I get older.
    Snatch 7x5
    95, 115, 135, 155, 135, 155, 175.
    Only 1 fail at 175 on the first rep. I took a short break and then did all 5 in a row. About 5s rest to reset for each snatch.

Trying a different approach. I'll be doing a lighter weight but higher volume week, a triples week, then up to a max double the last week, then take a deload week. Loads will be waved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday July 13
    I've had a pinch in my left shoulder for weeks now. It was just on outside front of the shoulder, so it was a bit of impingement/rotator cuff issues going on. Never had them before. I just did some external/internal rotation exercises with my elbow out to the side, arm at 90 degrees, and holding a 6 pound weight. It worked almost instantly. In just a few days I basically have no pain so that's good. In fact today I could feel extra upper back activation on my presses and pullups. So everything felt stronger.

Press 7x5
    115, 135, 155, 115, 140, 170, 135

Superset with

Pullups change up grips every couple sets
    8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
    All just bodyweight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saturday June 16
    Rotator cuff exercises have really helped me overhead position. My Jerk was more solid that unusual for my receiving position.

Clean and Jerk 7x5
    95, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 155
    That was very hard. Sets of 5 for clean and jerks is just ridiculously hard. I was sweating and breathing pretty good by the end. Great workout though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday June 18
    It's been a while since I back squatted, almost 3 weeks I think. So ya, today was ok but definitely not top form. My top set felt too close to a max set and it really shouldn't have. But whatever, it'll come back.

Back Squat 7x5
    225, 255, 285, 315, 285, 255, 225

One Arm Dumbell Row 7x5
    70, 88, 98, 108, 118, 70, 70

Post Thanks / Like
    Tuesday June 19
    My legs are so SORE. Heavy squats after a few weeks of not squatting left my legs a wreck. I got in and got after my snatches today anyway, it started off a little rough but once I started hitting my positions it turned around and the last couple sets were really good.

Snatch 6x3
    135, 155, 175, 185, 195, 205x1ff, 185, 200!
    The set at 205 was pretty rough. Made the first rep then failed the next two. Dropped the weight and really focused on positions and form at 185, then went up to 200 and nailed every rep. 205 is my best all time snatch triple, so it felt really good to get this close to it. Very encouraging that even on one lift per session I'm making some good progress. Also, after the 5's week last week triples were downright easy. I was barely breathing hard after my sets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thursday June 21
    Feelin pretty good today, although quite tired. Doing lots of stretching at work which has been great. I'm starting to work on some business that I've ignored for a long time deep in my shoulders.

Press 6x3
    135, 155, 165, 180, 165, 155

Pullups
    5x10 all bodyweight

I also did some lying leg lifts for abs. I went over some of my old training logs from the times where I would hit solid PR's. A few things seem to come up consistently, but a big one I noticed was core work. When I do lower back work and tough ab exercises it always leads to big PR's in squats and the classics. I've been ignoring it for some time and I feel like my core is really holding me back right now. Time to get some consistent core training happening again. It was pretty sad how hard a simple lying leg lift was for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Monday June 26
    Snatch 2x5
    95, 135, 155, 155

Clean and Jerk 5x2
    135, 155, 185, 185, 205, 185, 205

Back Squat 2x5 pause squats
    225, 225

Bent Over Row 2x5
    135, 135

Really moved today. I got all that done in 40 mins in and out. Started pause squats today. I’ll do 2-3 sessions a week with low volume pause squats like this and then have one day that I go heavier on regular squats. I also started on creatine again, so I’m looking forward to the little boost that will give me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday June 27
    I felt sluggish all day at work, then all the sudden had some awesome energy to train when I got home. Today ended up being a really good session. My shoulders are continuing to open up because of my rotator cuff exercises and I'm able to get into really stable catch positions on my snatch and jerk that I've never really been able to hit so well. It's like my whole back is lit up, it's awesome.

Snatch 6x1 see how it goes, if it's good go heavy
    185, 195, 205f, 205, 195, 210, 220.
    Only one fail. Not sure how that happened. It ended up feeling good and I figured hey lets go for 220. That's the most I've snatched since returning to weightlifting a few weeks ago.

Clean and Jerk 2x5
    155, 175.
    Not meant to be heavy, just meant to practice. I had a couple jerks at 175 that felt amazing. If I keep this up with my shoulder work I may just finally have a jerk that surpasses my clean. Hard to imagine.

Rotate between all 3 exercises to finish:
    Back Squat 2x5 pause at the bottom
    225, 225
    Press 2x5
    135, 135. Just some easy weight.
    Bent Over Row 2x5
    155, 155.

Post Thanks / Like
    Friday June 29
    Snatch 2x5
    95, 135, 135
    Feelin good, feelin fast. After 3 days this week of snatching today really felt 'on' with form and positions. There's something to this high frequency low volume approach for sure.

Clean and Jerk 3x3
    135, 155, 185, 205, 195

Back Squats 1x5 full pause at the bottom
    225, 255, 285
    That last set was definitely heavy. The other sets are ok, but on the final one was where I really noticed that I couldn't just power through and bounce out of the bottom.
    Press 2x10
    115, 115
    Bent Over Row 2x10
    135, 135

Today was day 3 of pause squats. I'm really believing there is something to them for strengthening that bottom position. I'm questioning the gym bro wisdom that they make you slow. On the cleans and snatches today I felt a lot of power coming out of the bottom position. More speed than I usually have that's for sure. Now it could easily be the increased frequency of the lifts, but my legs feel really turned on in the catch and more volume in the lifts has never really done that before. I'm loving these pause squats for now and I think I'm gonna keep them in as my sole squat for a while to really get my benefits out of them.

And as is the case with this week so far my mobility and positions continue to improve. I've been following 2 challenges that are very simple. They are from Ido Portal, a gymnastics guy. One is the 7 minute hang challenge and the other is the 30 minute squat challenge. They are simply to accumulate that amount of time in each movement every day. I've been doing about 4 minutes a day of hanging in 30-60s bouts and 20 minutes of squatting in 5 minute stretches. I gotta say, these two moves are solving a lot of mobility things and little aches I've had that have not gone away from normal stretching and lacrosse ball work. The bar dead hang challenge is particularly interesting because it's giving me a new range of motion in my shoulders (especially noticed in my jerks) that I have never had before.