Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ma Strength Chinese Weightlifting book

Post Thanks / Like

Ma Strength Chinese Weightlifting book

Anybody gonna seen 50 bucks on it? I’d be interested on anyone’s opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought it. Just came in today. It's pretty thick. Should have a review in a week or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I bought it. Just came in today. It's pretty thick. Should have a review in a week or so.
    Does it talk about planning the training during the transition phase/off-season?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    Does it talk about planning the training during the transition phase/off-season?
    No idea, I haven't read any of it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the review.

$50 for an eBook/$60 for softcover is nothing short of extortion. Those are the prices you'll pay for academic literature, which has to charge high prices to break even.

6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to my coach immediately when it came out to see if he wanted to go splitsies but he wants the hardcover. My guess is he doesn't like reading pdf's on phones or isn't good with that medium.

I'm sort of waiting on it atm trying to see if I can cajole the gym manager to let me bring in a bar to the gym and lock it up or store it somewhere (maybe the janitor's closet). If not, I'll be getting this soon and a pair of shoes since I just broke another eyelet.

Psstein, Steven Low's OG have cost nearly that much but that's also because they are 500+ pages. BuildingTheGymnasticBody was about $ (just under 200 pages) when it came out and I want to say K-Star's book wasn't cheap either (2nd editions lists for $59.95 right now but I saw it for sale for $33.70 and the pdf for $29.95). I'm sure Paoli and Tucker's books were between $30-40 if not 45 as well. Even with self publishing the costs of printing OG was high for Steve. No idea about all these others but probably about the same.

Greg Everett's latest edition of his book is $44.95 while Takano's and the Master's books are just under $30. JTS ebooks are $27-37.

So it's pretty much just slightly more expensive for the genre.

8. Likes psstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought it. So far I like how it’s organized. I’ve only read the first two of twenty chapters. Also have skimmed around and like what I have seen.
    For most amateur lifters you’ll probably take away insightful bits and pieces. It absolutely lays out coaching foundations for champion athletes, which in the Chinese system means how to take an athlete from youth age to champion over many years. Lots of other concepts as well. Worth $50 if you like to read weightlifting books and incorporate stuff into your training

10. Likes jockomoron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought it as well. I’ve skipped around a bit, but the book is fairly comprehensive. Starts with history of the Chinese system the quickly carries over into the fundamental building blocks. I’ve been to 3 training based on China and are headed to a 4th as I write this review. For me the book reiterates all that I’ve picked up over the years during my past visits. I would say the book is written well and is a bit of a page turner. However, there are several pages that I literally got stuck. Not that the content isn’t articulated well, it’s that there were several concepts that I really had to pause a think over before moving forward. I bought the PDF and the softcover. I found the didgital format harder to follow mainly due to tables and images not corresponding directly with the page they presented on. The softcover makes it easier to flip back and forth. I’ve met both authors on a few occasions and discussed the book with them
    A few years ago. That being said, this was a multi year effort, with thousands spent on travel for research. IMHO the price is justifiable. I also own a few translated Russian texts which didn’t really translate well. This book was an entirely new content based on research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the real book a professional paperback run or one of those awful "order to print" cheapos?

Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    $50 for an eBook/$60 for softcover is nothing short of extortion. Those are the prices you'll pay for academic literature, which has to charge high prices to break even.
    A WL textbook like Vorobyov's is academic literature though. It's removed from its original context by the English audience unfamiliar with sport schools. It's written for teachers and students in the Soviet "curriculum".
    Last edited by erpel; 05-31-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    A WL textbook like Vorobyov's is academic literature though. It's removed from its original context by the English audience unfamiliar with sport schools. It's written for teachers and students in the Soviet "curriculum".
    I agree, though a major difference is that much of the Soviet literature cites other studies. It's not common for a book marketed to American WLers to do so.