Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ma Strength Chinese Weightlifting book

Post Thanks / Like
    I read it and I didn't like so much, for some reasons:
    - the layout of the e-book isn't great at all and some images are awful. I hope the softcover is better;
    - the part about chinese weightlifting story and weightlifting colture is good, but the part about programming is extremely poor. There isn't a single example of long or medium term training plan, just some sporadic numbers only...
    - the book has, in an expanded form, the same information presented in coach Ma seminar (in which we couldn't have slides or photos... for a 350$ seminar per 4 hour...)
    In summary, not the chinese weightlifting textbook I was waiting for. Interesting for the cultural part, but not so much useful for a coach point of view in my opinion. Nevertheless it is a good book, especially if you are not so inside chinese weightlfting.

Post Thanks / Like
    just some sporadic numbers only...

Like 1rm back squat, take 20kg off and do 5x5?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, more like "snatch 85%/3x6s", and that's all.

Post Thanks / Like
    anything in there about running a scam trip to china?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought it, haven't read all of it yet. It's pretty damn big and I've had a busy week. A quick review is if you're at all interested in Chinese weightlifting then I don't see how you couldn't be pretty happy with it, if you're looking for a book to give you an example training plan to blindly follow then not so much.

I think it's worth mentioning that this is a book about the way the Chinese approach training, coaching, programming and just about everything to do with identifying and building talent. This is not a book where Ma and Manuel give their own interpretation of Chinese training for a hobbyist lifter. The book lays out how the Chinese set about making their training plans and I'll certainly be incorporating a lot of what I've so far read into my own training, but it's more about giving you the tools and information to set out your own training plans and how to do this in a methodical way to address your own personal issues and goals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I bought it. Just came in today. It's pretty thick. Should have a review in a week or so.
    Times up! No, seriously, I am really looking forward to your review. In particular, I read your review of Medvedyev's book and I'm curious how this one stacks up.

7. Likes mrodock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got around to starting this one. Only read the introduction and the first chapter last night, but already there are quite a few typos. A few sentences didn't even make sense because of the errors. The information itself seems decent enough. A little bit of interesting history of Chinese Weightlifting and the like. Hoping to finish it up by the weekend and post a review.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

9. Likes mrodock, PVCPipe liked this post