Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Does anyone take creatine?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Does anyone take creatine?

    For supplements (besides multivitamins, glucasomine, fish oil, etc.) I have only been taking whey isolate and extra bcaas. I have been considering taking creatine (perhaps in place of the extra bcaas), but I am a little concerned about making weight. Currently I train around 103% of my weigh-in weight and lose the last 1.5 - 2 kg via water loading. However, I have heard read online that one can expect a 1-2 kg increase in water weight from the creatine. This would mean that I would need to lose 1 kg to break even. The problem is that I am already at a low bodyfat percent and I don't know where I can lose this extra kg.

    Does anyone have experience with taking creatine? If so, is it worth it (I used to take it back in my football days and could tell a difference -- not sure if it was placebo effect though)? And, how do you handle the added water weight and making weigh-ins?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    631
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take it, not just for the training benefits but also several cognitive and neuroprotective benefits.

    Some people gain water weight but that is not always the case. I stay very hydrated and have not noticed weight gain ever. If you do gain water weight just cut it out 3-4 weeks before competition as you taper.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    377
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to take it when I played rugby, havent taken it as a weightlifter. I hold on to water weight like crazy and its a negligible benefit. I might take it in the future if I ever go vegetarian.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Take it, not just for the training benefits but also several cognitive and neuroprotective benefits.

    Some people gain water weight but that is not always the case. I stay very hydrated and have not noticed weight gain ever. If you do gain water weight just cut it out 3-4 weeks before competition as you taper.
    Would you take it (5 g is the recommended dosage) before training, after training, or does it really matter? Would you replace the bcaas if needed (lack of money) or try to make it work?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    905
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt you'll have any issues with water retention as long as you take the proper dose and don't over do it.

    In the 1990s, creatine was marketed and sold like a steroid by companies. You would hear creatine in the same sentence as androstenedione and other steroids, especially during the Mark McGwire/baseball steroid scandal. News media made a big deal of athletes taking creatine and how it was sold in Wal-Mart. And companies jumped on that, making it seem like it was a legal over the counter steroid.

    They had instructions that said to load it by taking about 5 times more than necessary for a week or so to get maximum gains. Then they said you had to cycle on and off of it every 12 weeks or so, or else your body would stop producing it naturally. Sound familiar?

    When I took creatine in this manner, loading massive amounts of it, I got the "creatine bloat" badly. I always felt like I had just eaten 10lbs of food and drank a gallon of milk. I retained water like a pregnant woman.

    Now days, now that I've done my research and use creatine intelligently, I get no water retention or bloat. I take it daily, in the proper dose, and my weight hasn't moved, muchless gone up.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    905
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Would you take it (5 g is the recommended dosage) before training, after training, or does it really matter? Would you replace the bcaas if needed (lack of money) or try to make it work?
    I put 5g in my morning coffee everyday. It won't matter when you take it. It won't make any difference performance wise.

    However it does need to be dissolved in a hot liquid. If you put it in cold liquid, it won't dissolve, and won't absorb in the body. If you can see it, you're wasting it. I ised to make a glass of hot water just for my creatine, stir it and dissolve it, and then cool the water enough to drink. But I got tired of that, which is why I put it in coffee.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    631
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it has to be fully dissolved to be absorbed. Our gastric juices are more acidic and warm than water so the creatine will definitely dissolve in the stomach quickly and subsequently be absorbed. Sounds like bro science to me otherwise.

    I just throw the scoop in my mouth and down it from there; you avoid the sediment at the bottom of the container each time.
    Last edited by b_degennaro; 06-02-2018 at 03:43 PM.

  8. #8
    Member Bulldog73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    I put 5g in my morning coffee everyday. It won't matter when you take it. It won't make any difference performance wise.

    However it does need to be dissolved in a hot liquid. If you put it in cold liquid, it won't dissolve, and won't absorb in the body. If you can see it, you're wasting it. I ised to make a glass of hot water just for my creatine, stir it and dissolve it, and then cool the water enough to drink. But I got tired of that, which is why I put it in coffee.
    I also take it in the morning with my protein shake. I've never had an issue with it not dissolving, though. It takes longer in colder liquid, but room temp water is fine, in my experience.

    Where did you read that it has to be hot liquid? I've read that if the liquid is hot then it can break down the creatine. Don't know how true that is, though.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, you've convinced me. I am going to order unflavored Creapure creatine from Muscle Feast (I use some of their other products and I really like them). Temperature of the water aside, it sounds like it doesn't matter when you take it. Am I getting that right? Also, would the 5 gram dose be enough or should I take more/less?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    631
    Post Thanks / Like
    5g is the ideal dose you take once a day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •