Thread: American Weightlifting: Pendlay's new equipment company

Post Thanks / Like

American Weightlifting: Pendlay's new equipment company

Looks like he's back at it.

https://americanweightlifting.com/
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know they're a brand new start up company, but with those prices I don't see it doing all that well.

$400+ for a bushing training bar with zinc? The competition bar looks good, except there is no chrome option. Personally I'll never own another zinc bar. Mine is now essentially a raw bar as the zinc is long gone.

There is so much competition in the budget barbell industry that its tough to do something someone else didn't already do well. Companies like Weightlifting House have what appears to be a better bar for around the same prices. Lynx Barbell is cheaper. If they ever get any more in stock, Get RXd has the Texas bar for cheaper. And of course there us Rogue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about his new stuff, but I still have a 2013 (bought in 2013) bar from him that still spins like new (I train 4 days/week).

Post Thanks / Like
    WHats up with bars being colored now? When did that start happening? I've seen it on a ton of Instagram videos within the last two months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Not sure about his new stuff, but I still have a 2013 (bought in 2013) bar from him that still spins like new (I train 4 days/week).
    My MDUSA bar has no coating left on it (zinc is gone), it had developed a bend, despite not being used in rack and only using bumpers, and one of the collars isn't machined correctly and the snap rings can't hold, so it flies off all the time.

But that was an MDUSA bar, and these are completely different, so no one really knows how it will hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    WHats up with bars being colored now? When did that start happening? I've seen it on a ton of Instagram videos within the last two months.
    It's ceracote. Rogue started doing it, so it's all the rage now. Definitely not for me.
    Last edited by KrisG; 06-12-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t remember the podcast, but Glenn himself said that he felt the bar quality diminished with MDUSA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinZybach View Post
    Can’t remember the podcast, but Glenn himself said that he felt the bar quality diminished with MDUSA.
    It definitely did. I was talking with them about a new bar at the time they announced they were closing. I spoke to them one day, and was supposed to talk to them a few days later, and suddenly they're closed and gone. So now I'm stuck with the bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    why is he using old photos on the new site? whole thing is strange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    My MDUSA bar has no coating left on it (zinc is gone), it had developed a bend, despite not being used in rack and only using bumpers, and one of the collars isn't machined correctly and the snap rings can't hold, so it flies off all the time.

But that was an MDUSA bar, and these are completely different, so no one really knows how it will hold up.
    What year and model?

Post Thanks / Like
    His original bars from 2006-2007 are pretty damn good. My gym still has one or two of his bushing bars from there and it may be slightly bent but still spins well with some oil. The newer equipment was meh; ink on the plates fades completely in short order and the hubs became very loose, rubber coated plates disintegrated to just metal cores, and the bars I've seen bent or lock up. I also hate zinc finishes because it does not age well. Hopefully these bars are closer to what Glenn was supporting a decade ago and improved upon that design. Those were a respectable addition to the barbell industry back then.

The plates here look the same as every other "competition" bumper set we see on the market from Rogue, Fringe, AgainFaster, etcetera: Chinese produced with different [raised] lettering. Change plates are rubber or urethane coated it seems. At first I thought that was great but realizing after about two years having the metal ring on the hole preserves the plate better. They're all the same prices too.

I hope this works out for him; sucks he can no longer use his own name because of MDUSA. However, I don't understand the need for this equipment at the moment. Rogue is synonymous with American weightlifting as an equipment supplier and brand.