Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American Weightlifting: Pendlay's new equipment company

Post Thanks / Like
    "However, I don't understand the need for this equipment at the moment."

To make him $$. C'mon Brian.

Ive actually heard there are ppl out there who don't like Rogue. That Rogue themselves will squash any reviews on their website that they don't like and etc. Not sure if that's true but I've talked to ppl about this and some of these dont like the spin on the Rogue WL bars for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    "However, I don't understand the need for this equipment at the moment."

To make him $$. C'mon Brian.

Ive actually heard there are ppl out there who don't like Rogue. That Rogue themselves will squash any reviews on their website that they don't like and etc. Not sure if that's true but I've talked to ppl about this and some of these dont like the spin on the Rogue WL bars for example.
    Well serves them right for buying a Rogue WL bar. They dont make WL bars, they make PL bars you can weightlift with. Then they started making really nice WL bars, apparently, but they were the same price as a bloody Eleiko, so why the hell would anyone buy one? Buy the Eleiko! I dont get it. The bumpers are bloody great. I'll buy them again and again (even though i'd rather have Werksans).

You just cant teach business sense to some people. I can just picture the conversation:

Hey bro, you should make and sell weightlifting equipment again!

But there are a hundred companies already doing this...???

Nah, yours'll be the best!

Uhhh... in a vast sea ov pretty much identical products, all highly competitively priced...

But you're famous!

Uhhh... so is Klokov...

Hey, but... Donnie Shankle!!!

Yeah, good point. I'll call my accountant...

Sooooooo many things this sport needs, that could help it gather some momentum, but people just keep trying to solve the same problems (that are not exactly problems). Its frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've got a few Pendlay bars in the gym. One of them is an old bearing bar (maybe 2011-2012ish) and it's awesome. Still one of my favorite bars. Spins great, still straight. Another is a 15kg bushing from maybe a year later, and it's also awesome. Then we have a whole bunch of newer bushing bars, both 15 and 20kg. They're okay but the build quality, spin, etc... just isn't as nice.
    Currently reading: Field of Blood by Karen Armstrong

Just finished reading:Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Then they started making really nice WL bars, apparently, but they were the same price as a bloody Eleiko, so why the hell would anyone buy one?
    If you want to be #1, why would you undercut yourself.

1) A lot of Americans like buying American products. Rogue is super popular obviously with all the CF (left) in the US. I'm not sure if they have that hold in Europe or Canada or AU/Asia as much.

2) I've trained with both Eleiko and Rogue and competed with Eleiko. The Rogue WL bar and not even the fancy Euro steel one is pretty nice and hard to tell the difference between an Eleiko. I'd say the only difference is that we don't know if the bars will stand the test of time that the Eleiko bars have.

3) Back in the day, people loved Glenn. He's awesome in person and though apparently there was some drama with Rippetoe and StartingStrength forum when the Pendlay forum was still around possibly, ppl will line up to support Glenn. He said he has about 170 athletes on TH and he's slowly building an online group and stable of athletes again. Not Mash or CalStrength sized yet, but maybe done the road. Though CalStrength has thousands of followers on TH, they only a dozen or two lifters that they consider their own compared to Mash and their affiliate gyms/coaches.

4) This has nothing to do with Donny Shankle other than the fact that Donny and Jon both trained on Pendlay bars and equipment back in the day. It's a selling point. At midtown, a lot of the pendlay bars spin and feel really nice after some "BarShield" was applied to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a bushing Pendlay HD during a thanksgiving sale in 2015. I think it was $233 USD shipped. One of the selling points was Glenn's statements that he'd stand by his product 100%. Then MDUSA closed about 4 months later. Luckily I haven't had any issues with it. I'm not lifting a whole lot with it though, and it's just me so there's no brolifting and slam bars going on. #thedarkorchestra #redcircle

Pendlay filled a niche 10 years ago because he sold an inexpensive WL bar. Now there's a dozen companies selling them. Plus his brand, American Weightlifting, is too close to another barbell company, American Barbell. That seems a bit unfair. Plus from what I gather from the Weightlifting House podcast, these are made by a third party and branded as Glenn's brand.

As for Rogue, I've never bought much from them because I get creeped out that every time I go to their site, I see ads everywhere else I go on the web for a couple of weeks. Plus why would I spend 600 on a bar when I could get an eleiko for a little bit more? They are incredibly expensive and seem derivative of other brands. Then they sell it for more money and overbuild things, because crossfit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've trained a little bit with the Rogue WL bar in the training hall of national meets. I thought it was pretty decent, but anything over $600 I'm probably always going to go DHS.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    3) Back in the day, people loved Glenn. He's awesome in person and though apparently there was some drama with Rippetoe and StartingStrength forum when the Pendlay forum was still around possibly, ppl will line up to support Glenn. He said he has about 170 athletes on TH and he's slowly building an online group and stable of athletes again. Not Mash or CalStrength sized yet, but maybe done the road. Though CalStrength has thousands of followers on TH, they only a dozen or two lifters that they consider their own compared to Mash and their affiliate gyms/coaches.
    I'm not sure everyone loves Glenn. My last coach called him "a drunken idiot" and implied his system made no sense. From the few (online) interactions I've had with him, he's a great guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    what are the factors in a good bar besides:
    1. spin (is more spin always better or is there too much spin?)
    2. durability
    3. whip (same question as 1)
    4. knurling (personal preference?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    what are the factors in a good bar besides:
    1. spin (is more spin always better or is there too much spin?)
    2. durability
    3. whip (same question as 1)
    4. knurling (personal preference?)
    Those are definitely the big ones. I'd say no, you can't have too much spin, but you can defintely have too much whip. One remark I've heard about the Klokov bars is that they have too much whip.

While knurling is personal preference, I would say that ideally you want something that grips well but doesn't tear your hands up.

Another factor is sound. It's nice to lift on a quiet bar.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    Those are definitely the big ones. I'd say no, you can't have too much spin, but you can defintely have too much whip. One remark I've heard about the Klokov bars is that they have too much whip.

While knurling is personal preference, I would say that ideally you want something that grips well but doesn't tear your hands up.

Another factor is sound. It's nice to lift on a quiet bar.
    Mostly I agree with you. However, I do think there is such a thing as too much spin.

As to the rest, I give you Uesaka training bars. Good spin, whip is good (that I can tell with my pathetic weights), quiet, and the most perfect knurling I've ever lifted on. Plus, they've been around a long time, so I think durability has been tested!!