Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ali Ludwig and Caitlyn Hogan Leave Waxman's Gym

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    How is it unprofessional to talk to your 'consumers' or base. Literally most CEO or Presidents have a working twitter or social media page where they answer questions or help run PR. This Hogan situation is a big thing within the American community so him answering questions and making sure information is disclosed transparently is literally the definition of what he should be doing.
    I can't see Roger Goodell, Adam Silver, or Rob Manfred commenting on this type of drama from one of their teams/athletes
    Last edited by coachd50; 07-04-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate Phil commenting, and have no issues with his conduct. I don’t have any issues with caitlyn’s conduct either, nor do I see any trash talking from her towards Waxman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coachd50 View Post
    I can't see Roger Goodell, Adam Silver, or Rob Manfred commenting on this type of drama from one of their teams/athletes
    When you compare the size of the sports that example doesn't make sense and is inaccurate. Goodell runs a 14 billion dollar organization with 32 teams all making millions of dollars and with 100s of staff member. Yet he still comments on events in the NFL on his twitter, has interviews with different news organizations, and generally a pretty present force in the organization. He isn't on forums/reddit because it would be impossible for him to tolerate that workload; there is no way to manage a sport with around 100 million fans yet he has definitely commented on situation with players like Tom Brady, Ezekiel Elliot, and others. Size the sport down and he'd be talking way more frequently just like Phil is.

The points of size and money fit with Adam Silver as well but there have been many times he's answered questions on GMs and players. Here's him talking about Draymond's suspension: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/nba-...-was-suspended, this is Silver talking about Lebron James and Durant getting involved in controvery, and another video quoting Silver talking about conversation with Steph Curry about All-Star draft drama:

EDIT: I had to take both videos down because they were seperating text and shit but can be found with a quick google search

Rob Manfred again fields questions from reporters all the time and each year has a live chat where he directly interacts with fans. Even at the highest level fan interaction and clearing up issues within the community is all they do. Our drama seems smaller by comparison and Phil's interaction is more intimate but because of the necessity of the sport, ESPN isn't offering him to come out and answer questions frequently.
    Last edited by PVCPipe; 07-04-2018 at 06:42 PM.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    When you compare the size of the sports that example doesn't make sense and is inaccurate. Goodell runs a 14 billion dollar organization with 32 teams all making millions of dollars and with 100s of staff member. Yet he still comments on events in the NFL on his twitter, has interviews with different news organizations, and generally a pretty present force in the organization. He isn't on forums/reddit because it would be impossible for him to tolerate that workload; there is no way to manage a sport with around 100 million fans yet he has definitely commented on situation with players like Tom Brady, Ezekiel Elliot, and others. Size the sport down and he'd be talking way more frequently just like Phil is.

The points of size and money fit with Adam Silver as well but there have been many times he's answered questions on GMs and players. Here's him talking about Draymond's suspension: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/nba-...-was-suspended, this is Silver talking about Lebron James and Durant getting involved in controvery, and another video quoting Silver talking about conversation with Steph Curry about All-Star draft drama:

EDIT: I had to take both videos down because they were seperating text and shit but can be found with a quick google search

Rob Manfred again fields questions from reporters all the time and each year has a live chat where he directly interacts with fans. Even at the highest level fan interaction and clearing up issues within the community is all they do. Our drama seems smaller by comparison and Phil's interaction is more intimate but because of the necessity of the sport, ESPN isn't offering him to come out and answer questions frequently.
    The difference being this was coach/athlete situation. Not Athlete / public situation (law enforcement) or athlete /league situation (Brady, deflate gate etc). Not a situation where a woman is leaving her coach or commenting on other he said/she said internet rumors.

I totally agree that the size/scope situation is the reason. But being smaller doesn't necessarily mean it is appropriate.
    Last edited by coachd50; 07-04-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coachd50 View Post
    The difference being this was coach/athlete situation. Not Athlete / public situation (law enforcement) or athlete /league situation (Brady, deflate gate etc). Not a situation where a woman is leaving her coach or commenting on other he said/she said internet rumors.

I totally agree that the size/scope situation is the reason. But being smaller doesn't necessarily mean it is appropriate.
    It sort of seems to me like Phil only commented on the interaction Caitlin had with USAW (i.e. clarifying information regarding the ethics complaints without getting into the actual substance of them) and then went on to say she's a good lifter (surprise, surprise!) and that she has acted professionally (which maybe he could have qualified with "in her capacity as a lifter representing USAW" or something, I guess). I don't see the issue with that.

If an NFL quarterback was having issues with his head coach and filed an ethics complaint with the league or the player's association, you don't think Roger Goodell would comment on it? Maybe not on a public forum, but I would argue that's because he would have a press conference and we would all read about it on sports websites or wherever. Weightlifting doesn't get press conferences or press coverage, we get wlforums and r/weightlifting, and the fact that you Americans have someone as president of USAW who cares enough about your sport to come onto those public forums and comment on things that matter in what I've seen to be a generally friendly yet professional manner is a credit to him and a boon to weightlifting in America.

Also, as a Patriots fan, I have to add the obligatory "Fuck Roger Goodell!!!!!"

7. Likes PVCPipe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglift View Post
    He is the CEO of an Olympic Sport. He shouldn’t be on public forums talking about his coaches or athletes. It unprofessional and unethical.
    I think you need to look up the definition of both of those words, because nothing Phil said or did was either. We are lucky to have such an accessible CEO.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    It sort of seems to me like Phil only commented on the interaction Caitlin had with USAW (i.e. clarifying information regarding the ethics complaints without getting into the actual substance of them) and then went on to say she's a good lifter (surprise, surprise!) and that she has acted professionally (which maybe he could have qualified with "in her capacity as a lifter representing USAW" or something, I guess). I don't see the issue with that.

If an NFL quarterback was having issues with his head coach and filed an ethics complaint with the league or the player's association, you don't think Roger Goodell would comment on it? Maybe not on a public forum, but I would argue that's because he would have a press conference and we would all read about it on sports websites or wherever. Weightlifting doesn't get press conferences or press coverage, we get wlforums and r/weightlifting, and the fact that you Americans have someone as president of USAW who cares enough about your sport to come onto those public forums and comment on things that matter in what I've seen to be a generally friendly yet professional manner is a credit to him and a boon to weightlifting in America.

Also, as a Patriots fan, I have to add the obligatory "Fuck Roger Goodell!!!!!"
    Fair enough point.

I guess my point is act small stay small. However, I think a very strong argument could be made that you won't ever get to the point where it seems awkward to address such things by acting like the NFL either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh huh

Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I think you need to look up the definition of both of those words, because nothing Phil said or did was either. We are lucky to have such an accessible CEO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather have a transparent CEO than Steve Penny of USAG. Kerry Perry is barely holding right now and there are plenty of ppl who have been clamoring for her to step down as well besides have USAG dissolved completely. Steve Penny and pretty much the entire USAG office weren't transparent at all and pretty much ran with the ball without paying much heed to their constituents besides collecting membership fees and other USAG stuff like National meets, Congress, the JO and elite program, etc.

Before Phil, we had a few unscrupulous BoD members that were shown the door. Massik being one of them, can't recall who else was shitcanned around the same time. If someone were to go through the posted minutes, they could figure it out again.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did they do that was unscrupulous?