Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Comp need advice

Post Thanks / Like

First Comp need advice

I have my first Comp the Bay State Games coming up in 2 weeks, I don't have a coach so any words of wisdom is appreciated. I know what my openers are going to be and what my target total is. I'm a 105kg so if anyone is going to be there let me know I'm always looking for new lifting partners too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FE-MAN View Post
    I have my first Comp the Bay State Games coming up in 2 weeks, I don't have a coach so any words of wisdom is appreciated. I know what my openers are going to be and what my target total is. I'm a 105kg so if anyone is going to be there let me know I'm always looking for new lifting partners too.
    Hey man, where do you normally train at? I run a gym in Concord, NH and coach a Weightlifting team, but we won't be at the Bay State Games as we'll be competing at the AO series in PA the following week. I'd come down to coach you but I'll be in Chicago that weekend for a USAW coaching symposium.

I can probably find someone to give you a hand. In the meantime, read this:

http://wlforums.com/forums/showthrea...counting+cards

Also, feel free to reach out to me on FB. That's usually the best way to get a hold of me.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't try to learn how to count cards in my first meet. most of the time people are eager to help a new lifter. when you are warming up try to find a person opening at the same weight as you or close to it and follow his warmups lift for lift. that is assuming they know what they are doing. WAIT FOR THE DOWN SIGNAL!!!! after an attempt declare your next weight to the guy running the cards. if you aren't sure just declare 1kg above your previous lift if its a make or the same weight if its a miss. you get 2 changes but only if declaration is in in 30 seconds after your attempt. relax. have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FE-MAN View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pick moderate weights and try to go 6/6

5. Likes CNL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do need an understanding of the cards and attempts. You can't just watch the guy before you because his coach can move his attempt up and suddenly you are being called right when you drop your last warmup lift. Do your best to make a friend, but don't go in clueless. The people at the table should be helpful in telling you how many attempts until your opener, but you have to time your warmups, and like I said attempts can change along the way. Not to scare you. Most meets are cool, but I have been at ones where coaches are acting like it's the world champs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I respectfully disagree with this. you will just make yourself more nervous and probably make a mistake if you try to keep a count. ask the lifter or his coach if he plans on sticking with his declared opener? if they are pricks so be it but I would find that highly unusual. in fact, ive never seen it at a local meet. and in the worst case you have to make a big jump from your last warm up to your opener or you have to repeat a warmup. big deal. its better than trying to learn to count cards while trying to focus on your lifts as well. risk/reward for me says stick with a warmup partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    You do need an understanding of the cards and attempts. You can't just watch the guy before you because his coach can move his attempt up and suddenly you are being called right when you drop your last warmup lift. Do your best to make a friend, but don't go in clueless. The people at the table should be helpful in telling you how many attempts until your opener, but you have to time your warmups, and like I said attempts can change along the way. Not to scare you. Most meets are cool, but I have been at ones where coaches are acting like it's the world champs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb_rochny View Post
    Pick moderate weights and try to go 6/6
    This is a great idea. Despite what people think, it is very easy to fuck up in competition. I just bombed at my last two on normally very steady lifts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    This is a great idea. Despite what people think, it is very easy to fuck up in competition. I just bombed at my last two on normally very steady lifts!
    It's because you haven't been posting enough on the forum.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    It's because you haven't been posting enough on the forum.
    lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanwtyler View Post
    I respectfully disagree with this. you will just make yourself more nervous and probably make a mistake if you try to keep a count. ask the lifter or his coach if he plans on sticking with his declared opener? if they are pricks so be it but I would find that highly unusual. in fact, ive never seen it at a local meet. and in the worst case you have to make a big jump from your last warm up to your opener or you have to repeat a warmup. big deal. its better than trying to learn to count cards while trying to focus on your lifts as well. risk/reward for me says stick with a warmup partner.
    Yeah that's the likely scenario. I suppose it depends on your mentality. I am much more at ease knowing how things work and watching what is happening.