Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: From #dadquad to Gingernaut again, my quad tear adventure

Post Thanks / Like

From #dadquad to Gingernaut again, my quad tear adventure

Good day Lads and Ladies.

Spoiler alert, I suck at short stories

I posted in the injury page but since I'm starting a log, I might as well give a background on here for future readers. I'm 31, and 2 weeks shy of 12 months ago I decided to see if I could still do something I could when I was 21....dunk a basketball. As you may have guessed by my Log title, I cannot... After my second workout of the day I decided to shoot some hoops for a little GGP work. That turned into lay ups, which turned into trying to throw down off the back board. My body weight was 296 lbs at the time, only 10 lbs heavier than my last recorded dunk. I made about 6 attempts, getting close enough to think I had a shot, just needed to get the timing right... Well, on that "ok one more try" I felt what I can only describe as a taser like feeling, isolated just above my knee on the way up. I was grabbing my leg before I even hit the floor. My co-workers said it looked really fake, and they're right, it looked like bad acting. But as I laid there in agony I lifted my shorts to reveal a big divot, like someone took a huge scoop out of my leg. I began saying NO NO NO NO PLEASE NO like Cleveland on family guy as he slid out his house in a bath tub lol. When it finally hit me that this wasn't a spasm I began trying to get to my feet, which took about 5 minutes. Everytime I tried to get up, my quads would contract and bam, extreme pain. After getting to my feet finally I sort of Terry fox hobbled, flicking my leg forward to somewhat lock it in place if that makes any sence? got to my truck and the fun really began, took me 20 minutes to get in and I maid sailors look like saints with my language. Knowing it was going to be a long night, I went to mcdonalds lol I texted my fiance who'd left that morning to help her mom out in another province "hey, so uh, Safe betI'm not going to basic training next week, I'm positive I tore my quad and I'll need surgery...love ya!" And off to the hospital I went. I had to Push for surgery because the doctor that did the ultra sound said it was very minor tear, but I knew something major was wrong. I pushed for surgery, told them about what I do for work and that in the event of a Code I need 100% tendon strength, not 80%. Thats when they agree'd to operate. 3 days later I was getting cut open, 2 weeks after that I had my consult post op at which time my surgeon informed me I had not only fully torn my quad tendon 2.5 cm above the knee cap, but it wasnt a snap tear like most, my tendon pulled and frayed like pulled pork.... He began telling me what the next 8 weeks would look like, to which I responded, like a true meathead WHEN WILL I BE SQUATTING NORTTH OF 600 AGAIN!>>!>! and he said "You need to forget about that for now..." WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! he chuckled and said "GEAR DOWN BIG RIG! I said forget about it for now... you'll be 100% again, as long as you arent stupid in your recovery. the next 8-10 weeks, you're job is control swelling. after that we'll look at taking this splint off and you'll start physio. at around week 12-14 you'll start learning to walk again" and THAT is when it hit me... "learn to walk again".... No-one ever expects to hear that. And when you tell someone who’s always been active that, it feels like a death sentence at first. But, in a lot of ways it was a strange blessing hidden in the horror. I’ve been reminded of what I’m capable of mentally. I’ve been shown I picked a great woman to have at my side because for 8 weeks I was “her 300 lb infant”, totally dependant on her for everything.

The original Dr I saw the night it happened asked how I hurt myself. I said “I was trying to be 21 again” and after I explained he said “you’re 30. Too young to just be hurt like this. This wasn’t age. This was because of your training!” I responded, sounding like a cocky 21 year old “ Doc, I routinely squat over 500 on a weekly basis… My quads are plenty strong for something as simple as jumping…” and he said “yes, but how FAST do you move that 500? You’ve trained you body to move heavy things slowly. Today you tried to move something heavy, which is yourself extremely fast. Your tendons weren’t ready for that shock…..” he paused for about 5 seconds and says “you’re like a freight train that tried to do Ferrari stuff…. Had you been doing freight train stuff you’d be fine. Likewise, had you been doing Ferrari stuff the last 15 years, you’d not be here unless you tried freight train stuff….” Best analogy ever….

So here I am just shy of 12 months later. I’ve had 3 or 4 guys reach out to me on Instagram from all over the world with similar injuries and I was able to help them understand the road ahead. Each one contacted me concerned about their future, and sounding pretty depressed. I told them all the same thing “It sounds cliché but, you cant control the cards you dealt, only how you play your hand, understanding your odds. You CANNOT focus on the things you cant do right now. Because in the beginning you’re not allowed to do much of anything, not even lay on your side! Your job is control swelling. So make that your #1 focus! Eat to recover, drink lots of water, rest, and manage swelling. Control what you can, don’t sweat what you cant. Before you know it, they start adding things to your list of can do… And when you finally get back in the gym, look at everything as a post injury PR! Not compare it to what You used to do!

I did my first Oly focused workout Sunday, following the catalyst starter program. Right now I cant get into a proper rack position for a number of immobility reasons I’m currently working on, so for now, everything is power version. Today will be day 2, snatch, snatch pull and front squat.

Primary short term goals are to develop a proper rack position. Get comfortable with the last 5% ROM in squats on a consistent basis. I’m getting together with a local club this month and when I go to Edmonton for my basic training I’ll be hooking up with coach Kevin Zimmerman at evolve strength to help fine tune my extremely novice technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonight
    power snatch: 6x2 @ 43kg
    snatch pulls 2x3 @ 43kg. 1x3 @ 52kg
    front squats
    1x3@52kg
    1x3@ 60 kg
    1x3@ 70 kg.

ankle mobility definitely needs work.
    knee felt pretty good, a little dodgy on the squat to the bar for snatches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some post injury pics and progress, you'll see why I call it my dad quad

10 weeks in this thing....

spent a lot of hours in this cryo cuff, but they were well worth it. My surgeon was blown away with how well this thing reduced swelling.

Slowly but surely coming back
    Last edited by Gingernaut25; 08-01-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last night

power snatch 5x2
    -2x2@29.5 kg 2x2@38kg 1x2@52kg

power clean+jerk 5x2+2 *I think thats how its supposed to be written?*
    -2x2+2 @ 43kg 3x2+2 @ 52kg

OH squat: 3x3 @ 29.5 kg

Post Thanks / Like
    all singles today, all done off 3.75" blocks to maintain a decent start position without over stressing my shit leg, which otherwise I seem to get in a crappier back position.

Snatch*– heavy single
    115x1
    135x1,1,1

Clean & Jerk*– heavy single
    135x1
    155x1
    175x1
    195x1,1,1