Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it matter when you get your protein for the day?

Post Thanks / Like

Does it matter when you get your protein for the day?

If you talk to bodybuilders most tend to say that you should eat/take protein as soon as you wake up and then throughout the day. My question is can you skip the protein 'as soon as you wake from sleep' and wait an hour or two for breakfast, assuming you get enough protein throughout the day? Are there any negatives to not eating (protein) as soon as you wake and instead waiting an hour after you wake up to eat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you're on drugs, your body is starving for nutrients, namely protein when you wake up. If its starving for protein, it will eat itself to feed itself. Its stupid, but its true. Just do it. If you cant eat, pound a thick shake... 35-40gr ov whey isolate, throw some dry oats in there for calories and substance if you need. The rule ov bodybuilding (or mass gaining as an athlete) is, NEVER go catabolic. Eating every 2-3 hours, with some protein every meal is paramount, IF you're serious about growing.

I wake up, pound a very quick-digesting shake thats just whey isolate and water (i throw my creatine and metamucil in there too), and then about 15 minutes after i eat my breakfast. The shake will 'tide the body over' until you start digesting the food.

3. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You MIGHT be able to wait for a few hours if you ate a LOT of protein the night before, especially with fat to slow down digestion.

That's one of the other reasons, Bodybuilders eat every 3hours or so. You can only spike mTOR every 3hrs or so and they tend to eat lean proteins which digest much faster than say pulled pork, hamburger, or steak.

Probably the only reason I can see waiting for a few hours after waking up is because you want to do some fasted cardio or some form of IF. Basically dieting to burn fat.

I generally put about 35g of WPC (roughly 28g of protein) in with my powdered greens and some ground herbs (turmeric, garlic, ginger, mustard, onion, maca, cinnamon, pepper) and creatine when I wake up to get some caffeine and protein in my system. I mix in some flavored tea so it tastes slightly less horrible

Post Thanks / Like
    Spread it out as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    The research doesn't really indicate a big effect of protein timing, so long as total daily intake is adequate. With that said, I personally would try to consume it in 4-5 feedings throughout the day. Additionally, there's a "floor" to the amount of protein you need in a feeding (really a leucine floor) for it to have an effect, so I'd definitely shoot for probably a minimum 20-30g per feeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    RP's hierarchy of nutrition elements is pretty spot on, with nutrient timing being pretty low on the list. Make sure you're hitting the more important stuff first like total calories, then specific macro rations, then food quality. I remember seeing something about intermittent fasting for weight loss showing that people who did IF lost more muscle mass than those who used traditional calorie restriction. Whether or not that was due to specifically a late delivery or protein, or total calories is unclear.

Personally because when I train in the morning, I eat a heavy carb breakfast. For a little while I followed Poliquin's "meat and nuts" breakfast on days I didn't train, and I definitely felt pretty good doing it. Here's a link to that

https://www.strengthsensei.com/the-m...uts-breakfast/
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

8. Likes Bulldog73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess another question I have is, is there a better choice for protein between 'food' and whey isolate? For example, would immediately eating hard-boiled eggs be better/worse than immediately ingesting whey isolate (assuming you get the same amount of protein), or does it not matter? I know that the eggs would offer more nutrients than the whey, but the isolate would be digested much more rapidly than the eggs. And, if it is the sooner you eat the better then would this give the nod to the whey?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    RP's hierarchy of nutrition elements is pretty spot on, with nutrient timing being pretty low on the list. Make sure you're hitting the more important stuff first like total calories, then specific macro rations, then food quality. I remember seeing something about intermittent fasting for weight loss showing that people who did IF lost more muscle mass than those who used traditional calorie restriction. Whether or not that was due to specifically a late delivery or protein, or total calories is unclear.

Personally because when I train in the morning, I eat a heavy carb breakfast. For a little while I followed Poliquin's "meat and nuts" breakfast on days I didn't train, and I definitely felt pretty good doing it. Here's a link to that

https://www.strengthsensei.com/the-m...uts-breakfast/
    Thanks for the link. Quick question, do you think that you can substitute something else for the tree nuts? I'm allergic to tree nuts

Edit: I should have read the article first, my question is addressed.
    Last edited by phillicl; 08-08-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://t.dripemail2.com/c/eyJhY2NvdW...Xhuc2VraXpxIn0

Just read Greg Nuckols review of an intermittent fasting study today(link above). Made me think of this thread. Bottom line is both the intermittent fasting group(a.k.a. Don’t eat until noon group) and the breakfast eating group had “no significant difference in lean mass, muscle thickness, or strength”. Granted it was only 8 week long study and neither group had surplus calories.

Sort of related, I also remember listening too a podcast with a researcher(can’t remember researcher or podcast) that basically said the “window of gains” or the “power hour” after working out was BS and the only thing that mattered for muscle gain was total protein and calorie intake throughout the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinZybach View Post
    http://t.dripemail2.com/c/eyJhY2NvdW...Xhuc2VraXpxIn0

Just read Greg Nuckols review of an intermittent fasting study today(link above). Made me think of this thread. Bottom line is both the intermittent fasting group(a.k.a. Don’t eat until noon group) and the breakfast eating group had “no significant difference in lean mass, muscle thickness, or strength”. Granted it was only 8 week long study and neither group had surplus calories.

Sort of related, I also remember listening too a podcast with a researcher(can’t remember researcher or podcast) that basically said the “window of gains” or the “power hour” after working out was BS and the only thing that mattered for muscle gain was total protein and calorie intake throughout the day.
    Im not huge by any means but I tried to do that "eat every 3 hours" meal timing but it just doesn't work for me. I'm not a big fan of eating in the morning. I usually wake up, have some coffee with milk and sugar then hit the gym by 11am. I train then take a protein shake with 30g protein/50g dextrose and some creatine. Once I get home i'll make "lunch" then chill. Go coach some more and eat a bar or 2 to hold me over until dinner. I eat a "big" dinner then usually snack on stuff before bed. So I do pretty much all my eating from 1pm until 11pm. It works for me. I'm going on 31, still hitting pretty much the same numbers as I did when I was 21 plus I'm doing a shit ton more crossfit type workouts. Body weight is the same but I definitely look way leaner than I did in my weightlifting prime.